S-400 and F-35

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

jessmo112

Unread post26 Jan 2021, 17:51

ricnunes wrote:Good "catch" jessmo!

Regarding your question, that should be an "absolute yes".

In theory they (F-35's over Lebanon/Beirut) should be "within range" of S-300s and namely S-400s based on Latakia granted that the F-35s could be detected by these systems (which seems obviously that they can't) because Latakia is located at around 187 km from Beirut in a straight line, something that you can watch in the picture that I'll share below.

In the same picture you can also see that for example Damascus is much closer to Beirut than Latakia.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QSzzQ1 ... sp=sharing

Im sure its more of a Question of the peace loving and Patient Syrians, sparing the Israeli AF from losing there greatest asset. Im sure that they detect the F-35 all the time, but because of Assads Kind heart, he will only shoot at F-16s (And Russian planes) to avoid hurting IAF feelings. But a warning to you infidels, WE KNOW your there and we aren't shooting at you on purpose.

jessmo112

Unread post26 Jan 2021, 17:55

The Russian take

1. Its the export S-300 that cant detect the F-35. The Russian version detected the F-35 while Taxiing.

2. The Syrians are not trained as well as the Russian techs. Our Russian operated S-400s would have detected them right away.

Am I doing it right? I just couldn't help but take a few Jabs.

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post26 Jan 2021, 18:06

jessmo112 wrote:Im sure its more of a Question of the peace loving and Patient Syrians, sparing the Israeli AF from losing there greatest asset. Im sure that they detect the F-35 all the time, but because of Assads Kind heart, he will only shoot at F-16s (And Russian planes) to avoid hurting IAF feelings. But a warning to you infidels, WE KNOW your there and we aren't shooting at you on purpose.

You're obviously right! What was I thinking of! :wink:

The real fact that the S-300 can obviously detect the F-35 without any problems and at very long ranges reminded me a picture that I took from the following real bird:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

jessmo112

Unread post28 Jan 2021, 09:18

THE U.S. HAS ITS HANDS ON PANSTIR

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... bya-report

Now all we need is to smuggle an S-400.
And HQ-9, and all non-western IADS will be compromised.

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post29 Jan 2021, 03:35

milosh wrote:
Also with new modules AESA are better and better but saying just because it is PESA it isn't good is nonsense.

The FACT is that AESA radars will always have better performance than PESA radars. It has been discussed many times here in the past on how AESA radar capabilities surpass PESA radars.
AESA radars have over PESA radars...
> higher resolution
> better LPI/LPD capability
> better SAR imagery
> wider band width
> faster search while track and scan modes
> more resistant to jamming
> tighter and more varied beam control

Russian state controlled media (propaganda) tries so hard to claim that because their PESA radars are larger and have a higher output power, their radars are just as good if not better than western AESA radars of similar size and power.

@jessmo112
Yeah, that must have been one serious covert op...
https://www.overtdefense.com/2021/01/28 ... any-by-us/
Also I am pretty sure the US and NATO now have some valuable SIGINT stuff on Russian and Chinese systems. F-22s, F-35s, and other SIGINT assets have been soaking up a lot of stuff in and around Syria. The F-22's RWR (AN/ALR-94) is nothing to sneeze at...

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post29 Jan 2021, 07:37

charlielima223 wrote:
milosh wrote:
Also with new modules AESA are better and better but saying just because it is PESA it isn't good is nonsense.

The FACT is that AESA radars will always have better performance than PESA radars. It has been discussed many times here in the past on how AESA radar capabilities surpass PESA radars.
AESA radars have over PESA radars...
> higher resolution
> better LPI/LPD capability
> better SAR imagery
> wider band width
> faster search while track and scan modes
> more resistant to jamming
> tighter and more varied beam control

I'd like to add:
>longer range (roughly 50-100% with GaAs modules, much more with GaN modules)
>higher number of simultaneous tracks
>higher reliability (yes, modern PESAs are very reliable, but AESA even more)
>can also operate as very high gain ESM, EW and high-speed communications system simultaneously with radar functions
>much better clutter rejection (superior in detecting small RCS objects in ground/sea clutter or in jammed environment)

Downside is that AESAs require a LOT of computing power and software to get all these benefits.

boogieman

Unread post10 Feb 2021, 08:13

Stumbled across these and hadn't seen them posted on here anywhere. With the reference to NTTR, I imagine this is being used for IADS simulation at events like Red Flag:

https://twitter.com/MIL_STD/status/1353375089715159048

EDIT: Found the original source of the slides above:

http://www.itea.org/images/pdf/conferen ... May%202015).pdf

Conan

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post13 Feb 2021, 04:45

jessmo112 wrote:The Russian take

1. Its the export S-300 that cant detect the F-35. The Russian version detected the F-35 while Taxiing.

2. The Syrians are not trained as well as the Russian techs. Our Russian operated S-400s would have detected them right away.

Am I doing it right? I just couldn't help but take a few Jabs.

I heard the Russians detected them, while they were still in their hangars and the pilots in the briefing rooms...

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post13 Feb 2021, 13:06

Pantsir-S1M [2 page PDF of article/ADVERTORIAL attached]
Short-Range Air Defence Missile and Gun System
ADVERTORIAL Aug 2019

"The Pantsir-S1 air defence missile and gun system (ADMGS) provides short-range, last-ditch protection against airborne threats. Which features should be inherent for such a weapon system?

Primarily - the versatility of effect against all types of targets able to reach the last defensive line of an objective.

The major design criterion of the system is countering high-precision weapons, above all, cruise missiles and weapons launched from manned aircraft. The Pantsir-S1 ADMGS successfully fulfils this task due to its missile and gun armament with a solid engagement area of 20km in range and 15km altitude, plus radar-optical target detection and weapon guidance systems. The weapon system carries a considerable ammunition load: 12 surface-to-air missiles and 1,400 rounds of 30mm ammunition. And all this is installed on a single truck chassis with a capacity of around 20 tons. The weapon system allows engagement of targets while on the move, providing air defence of both stationary objectives as well as mobile units. ...

...This advertorial is based on an article by V.G. Slugin, P. V. Filin and N. A. Grigorieva."

Source: AirForces Monthly Magazine August 2019 #377
Attachments
Pantsir-S1M AirForces Monthly Aug 2019 pp2.pdf
(294.63 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Pantsir-S1M.gif
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum