S-400 and F-35

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post07 Jan 2021, 23:18

michaelemouse wrote:It sounds like semi-active guidance has some of the disadvantages of command (illuminating platform must emit and maintain LoS with target) with those of active guidance (sensors and processors) yet it's still quite common and not just in air-to-air. In what use-cases is semi-active guidance preferable?

While semi-active guidance may be a bit more complex than command guidance in terms on equipment onboard missiles but active guidance is way and much more complex than semi-active guidance since and for example with active guidance, missiles need to have their own onboard active radar while with semi-active guidance missiles only need to have much less complex radar signal passive detectors.
This of course reflects in both development and manufacture costs with semi-active guidance being likely much cheaper. There's also technological challenges with active guidance which means that you need to master technology at a very miniaturized level in order to succeed in the development of such (active guidance) systems. For instance the first successful active guided missile that I remember was the AIM-54 Phoenix which was a very large missile (for an air-to-air missile) developed in the 1970's. Before that during the 1950's the Americans and Canadians tried to develop the Sparrow II missile which was to be an active guided missile but failed since the technology wasn't sufficiently mature at that time.
Later and after the Phoenix the next successful active guided missile that I remember was the AMRAAM, namely the AIM-120A which entered in service only in the early 1990's or almost 20 years after the Phoenix.
Then we have the Russian R-77 never-ending 'saga' which together with the above proves that developing active radar guidance missiles is very far from being an easy task (being much harder then semi-active guidance) and that's the reason why in the past you had semi-active guidance instead of active guidance and why it's still used today.
Last edited by ricnunes on 07 Jan 2021, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post07 Jan 2021, 23:49

tequilashooter wrote:Syria is not the size of Diego Garcia. Most of those F-35s strikes from Israel as an example are aimed at Damascus and air defenses like the S-400 is all the way in Latakia. Latakia is located approximately 230kms away from Damascus and with weapons included F-35s from Israel can use Lebanon to launch their weapons so the S-400's target engagement is more than 230kms which basically means that most of the S-400s arsenal cant target aircrafts that far away and I take it that the 40N6 is for targets like AWACs.

And yet, Syrian Air Defense Forces operates the S-300 which isn't that much inferior compared to the S-400 (actually the S-400 is a basically a more modern variant of the S-300, if you will) and as such Syrian S-300s aren't restricted to Latakia. And the result (against the F-35) is still the same.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

marauder2048

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post08 Jan 2021, 05:02

michaelemouse wrote:It sounds like semi-active guidance has some of the disadvantages of command (illuminating platform must emit and maintain LoS with target) with those of active guidance (sensors and processors) yet it's still quite common and not just in air-to-air. In what use-cases is semi-active guidance preferable?

Track-via-missile still has some advantages in certain jamming and target presentation scenarios since
the interceptor and ground radar get different looks at the target.

And illuminators are still useful where target presentation to the active seeker is
unfavorable like in intercepting a high-diver; SM-6, ESSM Blk II and presumably SM-2 Blk IIIC all
retain illuminator compatibility in part for this reason.

The typical argument for semi-active was that is was a good balance between
missile inert mass (transmitters can be relatively heavy) and cost/capability.
And with say, midcourse -+ ICWI ,you have less vulnerability to saturation.

But the flexibility of active seekers (over-the-horizon, launch-and-leave, quick reaction time etc)
is such that it's carrying the day.

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post08 Jan 2021, 08:08

marauder2048 wrote:

Track-via-missile still has some advantages in certain jamming and target presentation scenarios since
the interceptor and ground radar get different looks at the target.

And illuminators are still useful where target presentation to the active seeker is
unfavorable like in intercepting a high-diver; SM-6, ESSM Blk II and presumably SM-2 Blk IIIC all
retain illuminator compatibility in part for this reason.

The typical argument for semi-active was that is was a good balance between
missile inert mass (transmitters can be relatively heavy) and cost/capability.
And with say, midcourse -+ ICWI ,you have less vulnerability to saturation.

But the flexibility of active seekers (over-the-horizon, launch-and-leave, quick reaction time etc)
is such that it's carrying the day.

Very good answer. Track-via-missile was also popular in past decades in SAMs as it allowed using far more powerful and faster computing systems on the ground for more capable missile guidance, ECCM and target discrimination. This was important in 1970s to 1990s when equivalent processing systems were tens of thousands of times slower than they are now. However TVM added complexity and cost for the whole system and has thus been used only in large long-range systems like Patriot and S-300. This is why basic semi-active guidance was popular in lower cost medium-range SAM systems like Hawk, SA-6 and SA-11. SARH was also better than command guidance at longer ranges as accuracy does not deteriorate at longer range. Thus traditionally command guidance has been popular in SHORAD systems, semi-active guidance in medium-range systems and TVM guidance in long-range systems. Like you said, nowadays ARH is popular in almost all systems with some systems also using imaging infrared seekers. ARH with two-way data link could combine all the performance advantages of all different RF guidance methods.

jessmo112

Unread post08 Jan 2021, 14:53

ricnunes wrote:
tequilashooter wrote:Syria is not the size of Diego Garcia. Most of those F-35s strikes from Israel as an example are aimed at Damascus and air defenses like the S-400 is all the way in Latakia. Latakia is located approximately 230kms away from Damascus and with weapons included F-35s from Israel can use Lebanon to launch their weapons so the S-400's target engagement is more than 230kms which basically means that most of the S-400s arsenal cant target aircrafts that far away and I take it that the 40N6 is for targets like AWACs.

And yet, Syrian Air Defense Forces operates the S-300 which isn't that much inferior compared to the S-400 (actually the S-400 is a basically a more modern variant of the S-300, if you will) and as such Syrian S-300s aren't restricted to Latakia. And the result (against the F-35) is still the same.

Exactly my point! We are talking as if the F-22 and F-35 havent been flying circles over Syrian defenses for years.
Israel even went as far as taking picture over Lebanon.
If any F-35 wants to hit any target in Syria, there is nothing that can be done. The F-35 and what ever country owns them has total impunity!

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 11:45

eloise wrote:So it is exactly what I talked about earlier, they claimed that 70% missiles were downed, without any video evidences (which is very big contrast from when Israel or Nato claimed they destroy somethin

The Russian position on the other hand is that several others target were attacked and a bunch of missiles were shot down; there is no actual evidences that others location were also attacked. The Russians are claiming that 71 of missiles were shot down - with short range SAM over an urban area, I might add - without any photos or video of it compare that to the photo below of couple of missiles shot down in Saudi Arabia

Osa-AKM has an optical tracker so if they indeed shoot down that many missiles, we should have some video by now, even if the operator doesn't record any kill, given that that many missiles were shot down, we should have seen some video from local people living at the area.

What were on the tables there, in front of army general Rudskoy? A lot of debris, full of shrapnel's holes. :? Unexploded warhead was on the photo on the screen. What kind video evidence you need? Where can you see shoot from complex's position and destroyed target, and both are recognizable? It is impossible even for extreme closer ranges as 2-3km at daytime. Strike was at 4 a.m. local time, as usually at night. There are tons videos with night AAA shooting and missiles launching from Mddle East, possibly from Sirya, but without any time and place confirmations usually. Just bookmarks in videos' name/description, often is Arabian language or/and Arabian language speaking, by the way. For me is totally impossible to find such proves, I can just offer it for you, if you know Arabian, of course.
How can you prove that your photo from that place, and that time, and for that kind of missiles? We had seen the same already: georgian Grads shooted on Zhinval, but "video evidences" tried to tell us that it was russian artillery shooted on Georgia.
Almost all missiles was shooted down outside urban areas (in video was a special map), used all kind of syrian air defence complexes (not short range only), even S-200 (but S-200 without sucsess, that isn't wonder). So stops your manipulation again - all Syria didn't sleep at 4.00 morning and waited with cameras for video record to convince you personaly. :) When peoples awaked, when grab some cameras - in this lockal place all could end, even if it was visible/listenable. Even if something was recorded, and was published too, we can't find and prove it.
Old optical tracking channels looks like a tank's scope - without any screens, just oculars for operator and nothing more. Let's record video from this.
Does Minisrty of Defence need to prove something to persons like you, especially by your rules?

eloise wrote:Secondly, 150 m *70 m is about 10500 square meters, with 71 missiles then by average each missile destroy an area of 147 square meters. The thing is if these missiles are highly accurate and hit the same location then they just crack the building fragments to even smaller pieces, they won't extending the damaged area.

Man, this counts differently. For collapsing 3 civilian 3-stages non-large concrete buildings you need 3 150-200kg high-explosive warheads at all. For guarantee 6-7 missiles need. Rudskoy as told about 6-7 craters, as I remember...
76 cruise missiles can do the same on the photo even without any warheads. Just honeycomb all 3 buildings to collapse. In fact they destroyed empty buildings, without any chemical weapons, and even without any precursors for chemical weapon or just toxic chemistry. Because object places right among civilian quarters and we didn't see mobs of poisoned civilians, and injured/killed security guards on such kind of object - it is obvious.
So, it was awesome. Great sucsess. For how many hundred millions of $ - who knows. US with allies may pay 1% of this money for syrians silently, and siryans would disassemble all that buildings by theyself immediatly. ;)
US version of strike was total insolvent in fact - because unexploded warhead's photo and claimed missiles' outfit by one target. And it is even we will try to suppose that syrians/russians gathered debris from missiles and drilled holes in these by hands. ;)

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 11:46

eloise wrote:Firstly, sound like you just make that up, if you EXACTLY KNOW then it should be easy for you to prove. Secondly, LPI characteristic of different radars aren't equal

Well, if you would know my language, it would be some about true. But this... I will give some material, but in cyrillic, so would it be prove? Or you again will be require impossible "video evidences"...
Of course aren't equal. S-300: 1023 bits of spread spectrum band and 15 bits of base-polinomial structure. AN/APG-77 (on the cry): 127 bits of spread spectrum band and 7 bits of base-polinomial structure.

eloise wrote: I'm sure Zolt?n Dani being the undisputed commander of the battery will know more about the system he used than you.

I just remind that Yugoslavia couldn't recieve even original documentaion on AK rifles, and all their Zastavas is the result of reverse ingeneering. In case of such technic - imagine by yourself.

eloise wrote:In mole cricket operation, a force of about 90 Israel aircraft destroyed 29 SAM batteries and shot down 82 aircraft from Syrian side

And you modestly didn't show with tons of image what was air defence technics in Sirya that time. But I am writing: outdated old and stationary S-75 and S-125, some Kvadrats (in 1973 debuted very well, but after 10 years hadn't the best), and some Shilkas, Strela-1s and Osa-As/OsaAKs (even weren't AKM modification) for a change. There weren't any core complexes, there weren't S-200 (arrived only in 1984), there weren't Krugs (2K11), there weren't more modern Buks instead of Kvadrats, there weren't newest S-300PT... :? There weren't newest Tunguskas and Thors. All as I told - most modern F-15/F-16 under Boeing-707 Arava ECM coverage against S-75, S-125 and Kvadrat can't destroy syrian air defence fully.

eloise wrote:In the Flanklan conflict, Super Etendard has very great success sinking ship with anti ship missile even though these ship has their own air defense

There wasn't system air defence of ship order - wasn't any air defence stuff for fleet. Seawolf was nothing more that one big mistake instead of mid-range air defence complex. Battle survival of english ships was zero - even unexploded Exocet burned and destroyed english destroyer. And last, but not least - ships onboard ECM inflied on english satellite links, and they turned it off when used link with London. Guess when wwere they speaking with London? Unorganized... no, totally unoraganized and undisciplined.

eloise wrote:Recently in Armenia and Azerbaijan war, plenty of SAM vehicle got destroyed by simple propeller UCAV

Are you kidding me? Do you see what were in armenian air defence? There was a victory parade in Baku.
Again: Osa-AKMs, Strela-10Ms, Shilkas, Kubs, some Buk-M1 and S-300PT (36D6 was only there). Even in USSR in 1991 it wasn't the best. ONE BATTERY of modern Thors, acted separetly. Nothing more. Again modern Byraktars and some jewish Hermeses/Harops was against... total trash 40-60 years old. But Azerbaijan had more than 90 MLRS systems, so those pathetic some UСAVs inflied on nothing, and we can't recognize what kind of weapon hits that Thor-M2KM or 36D6.
When both Alievs had armed all this millenium, attract allies, fought resolve and hard - armenians don't include Karabah and its defence border into country, didn't enter own armenian army and chewed slobber until the end.
Reverse technic, give Nagorniy Karabah's Army of Defence magic UСAVs and give Azerbaijan's army with Turkey behind so outdated air defence - result would be the same: all magic UCAVs would be destroyed into [s]barns[/s]hangars on airfield. Too large force advantage at all.
Manned azerbaijan aircrafts left on bases all time of conflict, by the way - again, even so outdated air defence wasn't been total overhelmed and fully destroyed.
But you can try to show us all the reverse situation anytime.

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 11:48

look at S-300V4 and S-400's radars. Is 9S19 a digital beam forming array? No it isn't. Is 64N6E a digital beam forming array? No it isn't. Is 91N6 a digital beam forming array? No it isn't. I can go on and on, but like I said before, digital beam forming at higher frequency is extremely rare because the element spacing limit is dictated by the operating frequency, this is the same whether your system is airborne or on the ground

Nebo has, Protivnk-G has, Gamma-D has, Kasta... possible. May be something more. It is all military air defence ground radars, which will be additional forces for S-300/400 in potential conflict.
Theory, technology had desighed already, question is just in antenna's module. When it will produced - immediatly all ground/naval fire batteries recieve this technology. But aviation still will not: beacuse cooling, power supply and weight. I consider that my thesis about ground/naval systems' technological superiority had proved at all. Next your attempts to manipulate in this direction I will ignore.

eloise wrote:Nonsense. AESA design suffer much less internal noise, making them a lot more well suited against low RCS target

And more well suited for enemy jams too. This is the result of extereme sensitive reciever without extreme powerful transmitter against serious enemy. If it isn't extreme sensitive - it would give nothing above PESA as I told.
And a potential more power is just potential, espesially on the fighter plane, because it tends to extreme problems with cooling for so small and density antenna array. And some stabuility problems, requires shedule prescise calibrations. Well, this tends us to offtopic.

eloise wrote:
hocum wrote:And when air defence had been antenna arrays, plains had been just pulse-doppler radars.

What the ** does that even mean?
electronic scanned array whether they are AESA or PESA are still Pulse Doppler radar. Pulse Doppler only mean your radar send signal in pulse and take advantage of Doppler effect to measure target speed. How the beam is steered is irrelevant

May be difference in terminology again. You are some right, but in my language previous radar generation names as I wrote (and I meant that English language too). Does "slot array" more correct?

eloise wrote:What do you think the first air strike into a country look like? With stealth fighter carrying bomb into enemy air space mindlessly wondering around until a SAM shot them down?. No, the first strike always happen with a bunch of long range cruise missile such as JASSM-XR, JASSM-ER, Tomahawk, AGM-86 attacking vital stationary targets such as OTH-B, OTH-SW radar station, air field, Command center.

No, man, it is you don't know how the "air strike" on formidable air defence looks like in reality. ;) In this case some overdemocracy states and fighters for "human rigths" just simply refuse from attacks. Strategic result as is.
Venezuela - two Antey-2500 divisions and some export wheeled Buks and Thors for spicing. From 2019 till today there isn't any democratic bombardment and non-flyable areas, bunches of cruise missiles and loitering garbage. Just inspirated financial crysis, attempts to infiltrate agents through the border and screaming in UN. No any more.
Iran? The same, from S-300PMU1 divisions was been deployed there.
Nothern Korea? KN-06 is ready and was deployed, but it is less earnestly because they have nuke too.
Launching "bunch of long range ..." requires a bunch of launching platforms, its deployment and concentration in such numbers almost impossible to hide, and it is always possible to recieve pre-emptive strike to all this bunch. It isn't chess, when white starts first always.

eloise wrote:Yes it is, already done controlled flight test in 2017, the concept isn't so complex in fact. The main purpose of it is to surveillance RF source and report back to mother aircraft and also to bait out missiles.

Tests are just tests. Where is official report abouts tests' finishing, purchasing contracts, photos with this from regular troops? I don't tell about S-500 or 42S6 Morphey, for example. Or something like this - https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3820848.html

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 11:50

eloise wrote:The accuracy of cannon isn't very high. We also see how Armenia struggle to shot down slow flying drone

[facepalm again]
Armenia hasn't anymore that old garbage.
Pantsir on goverment tests, 2007 (in stardart ECM surrounding, by the way), target - E95 (subsonic cruise missile/drone's imitator). One cannons' burst and target shooted down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=255&v=u ... e=youtu.be

Pantsirs' battery on exersises (in ECM surrounding too), target - couple of "Saman" training targets, which is refubricated Osa-AKM's missiles (anti-radar missile's imitator). Supersonic, highly maneuvrable, with very low RCS. Two launches, showed one hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1249&v= ... e=youtu.be

Tunguska against E95 again (suppose black sky, because TV Zvezda channel's exclusive show) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=255&v=u ... e=youtu.be
One burst and hit.

Pantsir tracks small quadrocopter, firstly demonstrate fire and then shoots it down by cannons, some small range because without video editing, by one videosequence (especial for persons who likes video evidences):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=754&v=D ... e=youtu.be

Thor tracks the same quadrocopter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=860&v=O ... e=youtu.be

Well, let's tell us more about how hard is to find and to shoot down slowly UAVs, loitering garbage, and evven mighty cruise missiles. ;)
And I still don't tell something about ECM measures against UAVs and loitering staff, because it is some difficult for me. It isn't my speciality, I will force to use just common words, as all we know who.

eloise wrote:If no air defense emit or attack, they stay silent. Your air defense have two choices:
1- You emit or attack these first groups of cruise missiles, decoys and basically let the enemy know where you are and they can attack you
2- Your air defense stay silent and the important infrastructure such as OTH-B stations, air field, weapon storages warehouse got wrecked.
If you choose the second option, you probably safe from the first attack but not for long, because there are air droppable loitering drones such as DASH-X, Atilus -900, specifically designed to autonomously loitering for 10 hours to find and report the location of SAM back to the mother aircraft.

Kindergarden again. 2 choises... Enemy has infinite number of choises always, and it never acts as you want to be.
Just few advanced forward radar-imitate decoys with simplest AAA batteries will mutiply by zero all your "cheap" loitering garbage easily. Even modernized Shilkas/ZSU-23-2s is acceptable. Even Kornet-D is acceptable for such targets. And you even know nothing without additional recon by serious UAVs/planes/satellites.
What if air defence side simply calls battle helicopters like interceptors against your loitering garbage, and makes some massager?
2 choices... Let's clean your mind from stupidly jewish advertizing, maked for children with Down synrdome.
How can you sinchronize loitering garbage with speeds about 100-200 km/h and cruise missiles with 900-1000 km/h? Would cruise missiles circle around a lot of time untill loitering garbage would crawl to pretended defence area? For which line/time it would need for? In practize air defence will chew both waves separetly.
And this is just planning, you know just position of surveylance radar and may be forward advanced [s]decoys[/s]sources. You can plan nothing without reckon, that is the main problem. But all loitering mution designed to avoid reckon at all and time/link for striking. As a result it has a lack cabuilities both reckon and damage. Huge barrage time requires economy at fuel/battery as much as possible, as a result for air defence such munitions become sitting ducks. For operational scale it requires to spend hours of time to reach operational area and catch pre-eptive strike after its launched, but before it can reach targets' area. Little sizes UAV almost hasn't sustainability against enemy ECM forces: overhelms or GPS for self-giuded, or backlink to operator for remote guided variants. Or both, if it is so unlucky.

eloise wrote:No it isn't, otherwise, there is no point for Russia to develop the 9M730 Burevestnik, 3M-54 Kalibr, Iskander-K, Kh-101/102, Kh-59MK2, Kh-35UE. For your information all of them are subsonic missiles

It is left to prove that any of this missiles design to break through formidable air defence, or russian military hopes for this. Every this missile is easy target for organized air defence too. Iskander-K is a cheap variant of true, quasy-ballistic Iskander, Kalibr/Ha-35 is the same for Onix/Granit/Bazalt. Burevestnik/Ha-102 is for finishing off after full-scale nuke and nuclear deterrence. But for hard air defence russian military plans to use Ha-22/32 missiles, or Ha-15 airballistic missile, or new Kinjal airborn quasy-ballistic missile, or new Zirkon anti-ship missile - agianst Aegis and Aegis-ashore systems.

eloise wrote:Secondly, no, NEBO can not operate in HF-band, not in a million years, HF frequency range from 3-30 MHz and the wavelength is from 10-100 meters. Ironically, Nebo antenna is simply too tiny to use HF

http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-618.html
Wavelength range - meter (13 operating points, VHF / HF)

Tell us more about original Nebo.

eloise wrote:TALD was used with great success in the opening stages of Operation Desert Storm in 1991, with the first being deployed in combat by Lt. Jeff Greer. More than 100 were launched on the opening night of the war. This prompted the Iraqi air defense to activate many of its radars, most of which were then destroyed by anti-radiation missiles. So yes, decoys like this are very popular in combat

Aaa, en wiki... Well, it have accepted.

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 11:52

eloise wrote:And decoy such as MALD-J, MALD-X, MALD-N, SPEAR-EW doesn't need to carry powerful jammer, because they are all stand in jammer that mean they are much closer to the threat than the aircraft launching them. Radar return reduced with forth root of distance.Jammer on these small decoys are not limited to simple noise jammer, there are a wide variety from noise jamming to deceptive DRFM jamming
Secondly, when you are jammed, you can't determine true range, so in fact you can't blank a small part of range, you can blank a direction but that also mean not detecting stealth aircraft in the same direction as the decoy

Well, In your personal radiophisics again. So, jammer recieved radar's signal and got it back. But radar signal is short - what will jammer do when back-signal ends? Countinue transmitting? It will be simple countinius jam, so radar's auto-compensator starts working and neglates back-signal after minor time. So, instead of infinite cone behind jammer we recieve very limited cone. Also, radar knows how long is its own signal and can control this by in-signal DSS coding.
So, jammer must delay repeating back-signal. By which time? By twice duration of original signal plus some delay, or it would be continious jam again. As a result, we will recieve instead of continous cone behind jammer the chain of cones with "empty" places. So, defended plane must be into one of this cones, or radar can observe plain.
In every case, plane must stay at cone behind the jammer, into angles that less then radar's resolving capacity by azimuth and local angle. It require to precision plane's placing, which require to know PRECISION COORDINATES OF MALD OWN. How it can be? By plane's radar working? Hello, enemy ECM-forces, bye-bye stealth. By NAVSTAR on MALD? Foreget about that, it was left behind. Every run off from strictly cone will fail jamming defence.
Which power jammer may have? About dozens watts? Grownd radar is more powerful by at least 4 orders.
So little jammer can't have directional antenna, so its anttenna's gain is no more than 2 (in practize about 1 - undirectional antenna). All S-300's radars has precision directional antennas, whith gain more than hundred (sidelobs is lower than main beam 100 times and more), and antenna's gain has second degree in formula. Another more 4 order in power advantage by radar.
DSS can discover signal below noise if it is no less then Lg(N), when N - binary sequence length. For N=1023 it means that radar can discover signal 1000 times lower than noise - again addtitional 3 order advantage. By the way, imitate long random bit-sequence by limited computing power by onboard stuff on 136kg midget is very dangerous - if one bit stay uncovered, jam will brake (in theory, because also reciever's own noise is in practize). For avoid this, "covered" jam uses in practize - back-signal has little more bits (and little more duration than original signal), but this little distorts back-signal anymore, and with every repeating places between cones grows too.
Summ result is ELEVEN ORDERS of power (110db), so if jammer is far - radar can breakthrow the jam just by power/brutforce (depends of defended plane's RSC, of course). For avoid this, jammer must be much closer to the radar than plane. For plane's RSC about 0.01sq.m. and jammer's power 100W result ratio will be 10:1 - jammer must be at least 10 times closer to radar than plane, or jam will brake.
When another radar with another band will turn on (tracking radar for example), jam by one MALD will breake immediatly, and plane must to act another jammer for another radar (and stay at both cones already, or both MALDs must stay in one course to facilitate this all). If another complex (placed another) will turn on - the same again, third jammer and now 3 cones cross-section. Deploy against every radar one MALD is possible, but stays in result cross-section - :) Somebody will discover plane anyway out of cone of defence.
Resume: for counter-jamming one powerful jammer is 100 times dangerous than 10 weak jammers. It can work only if jammer stay much closer to reciever (GPS satellites, for example - satellite's orbit is 20 000km, jammer places at range about dozens/hunreds km to reciever). In another case weak jammers is good for imitational jamming, but almost useless for counter-jamming. Even with imitational (DRFM) jams. And you again don't know rightful battle tactic for staff which you declare.
And don't forget that air-defence side will use counter-jams too, and much more successfully that airborn side (by power, antennas and computing and without circus juggling in flight). For example, 1RL257 Krasuha-4.

eloise wrote:9M83 top speed is 1.7 km per second, so if it is about 3 seconds from detection to hit, you must be within 5 km radius from the fighter

Just like that, just like that. Before this would be only pulses from survelance radar and some random pulses from tracking radars, some warnings. Before some seconds from hit illuminating from launcher/missile begins, and that will be total alarlm already, but it is almost too late to do something. Main problem is so many random pulses come to plane in battlefield: reflections, beams switching, pulses from outstanding complexes, if it surveylance radar - it emits all in the area by very wide beam. You can't react on every this kind of situation. So you don't know exactly - do enemy see you? Have it been launched missile already or haven't been? You can react immediatly just for short range missiles' launches.

eloise wrote:Fortunately, stealth aircraft doesn't have big RCS and the so called anti stealth low frequency radar doesn't have any where near enough resolution to see the small detail to distinguish a decoy and a stealth plane, especially at long range.

Fortunatly, in real battle for UHF-band RCS of stealth planes will be much higher that RSC of so little lens, as I calculated previous. So even nothing similar will be - 0.0*sq.m for lenses, 0.*sq.m for stealth planes.

eloise wrote:9M83 has much shorter range than 9M82, and even with 4 missiles per TEL that still very small number given that a single F-35 can carry 24 SPEAR-EW

Firstly, let's prove that SPEAR is in regular troops.
Secondly, 1 S-300V** division has up to 192 missiles ready to launch. Tell us more how 24 SPEARs can drain it all (and where will be all countless MALDs).
eloise wrote:already done various flight test since 2016, if you count on it not being produced then you gonna have a bad time

I will mean that it isn't in mass produce. Why you would be better than me?

eloise wrote:hocum wrote:JSM is a another kind of JSOW? And of course it isn't ready yet?
It is very different from JSOW. Already done various flight test since 2015 and entered production phase in 2019

And what is the "very difference"? More higher price, as usual, but what will be better compare to JSOW?

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 12:01

eloise wrote:Too slow?. Even though they only fly at subsonic speed, these missile can still fly at around 1098 km/h, how fast can Buk vehicle travel? 40 km/h?

Just like that. Again and last time: subsonic weapons require tons of time to reach targets' area, it gives for enemy much possibuilites to shoot it down and to avoid backstrike. And it is no more than easy targets, as I had shown earlier.

eloise wrote:shootdown something in test where all conditions is perfect is quite a big different from doing it in reality when you are being jammed and attacked

Looks on April 2018 in Syria again. And you don't know that after firsts ECM countermeasures in Vietnam for every air defence complex designs "standart ECM surround", and nobody tests air defence complexes in "black sky" from that times. All ranges for radars and missiles recieved from tests, instead of theory calculation, like for SA-75: pulse frequency is 1Khz, so range will be 30km and that's all. And this "standart ECM surround" just makes more harder and harder in time, and it is overhelms all that enemy can make in real battlefield.
Look on the fatal accident above Black Sea in 2001. Civilian Tu-154 was shooted down by ukraininan S-200 and debris was founded at the point 42.11N, 37.37E. It is 340-360km distance from training site on Opuk peninsula in Crimea. But wait, wait! Is S-200 Vega-M has only 240km official range, isn't it? But it was happen, in reality.
So it is impudent american and jewish adverize needs to decrease for real battle surround (your MALD's picture is exellent example), in russian offical caracteristics is all had taken into accaunt already. Even more.
And for you and another "strategoses" like you it is a good option to think again about your stupidly and suicidal plans to dance right in front of official missile range. So, if you add few km more - can you affraid nothing? ;)

eloise wrote:hocum wrote:If you would waste this kind of munition on every mid-range complex - what leave on core complex? Nothing. Is cruise missiles and anti-radars missiles endless? No, it purchase by dozens, sometimes hundreds, not by thousands in one fiscal year contract... Every year 2 Buk-M3 divisions produced/modernized from M1-2 since 2016.
I'm sure cruise missile is cheaper than a BuK radar vehicle, and it isn't like they produce thousands of Buk vehicle every fiscal year either

Total unserious. Man, you are making boring for me. Again sures, claims and spellcasts and nothing more.
Total stock of long range cruise missiles for all US military forces estimates at 6000 - 7000. For 5-7% efficiency - how many targets they would hit? About 500, and would left without pants for years, until this stock will restore at least partialy.

eloise wrote:The very core advantage of air power is force concentration,

We had told about force concentration already. It tends to tell by circle, round by round, it becomes not funny. You claimed that you answer to me for avoiding nonsense, but its looks like you try to overflood the topic.

eloise wrote:That decoy work purely on passive RF sensor and have no effect on the GPS/INS , MMW radar seeker of AARGM-ER. It also won't work on the EO seeker of Delilah and Rocks

Forget about your ARRGM-ER, it isn't ready. Simple ARRGM, dearest of all my friends.
Are you golden fish, with similar memory? Previous I had told bout aerosols, chaff, Gazetchiks - do you forget all? Or you need a picture? Here you go: Image
For NAVSTAR exist another boxes, which can placed by hudnreds kilometers away. Something like Shipovnik-AERO can substitute NAVSTAR's signals even. All it is parts of position area passive defence.

eloise wrote:Planes can also have multiple source of jamming and defend from multiple direction with self propelled decoys like MALD-N or SPEAR-EW, or if you want it cheap, they can also carry jammer that can fit in chaff dispenser

It can't reach even outer circle of active defence around core complex. Decoys can't imagine planes, just lauched munitions. Chaff in front of planes is very dangerous, causes to crash, and somewhere on the side it hides nothing. For 300 000$ per one MALD air defence side can fullfil al position area by all kind of decoys, even for every short-range complex will be at least some false positions.

eloise wrote:That thing doesn't even have a radar so it will have very hard time finding and tracking multiple target at the sametimes, then consider that it only have 148 rounds, it won't be able to fire for very long. Last but not least, cannon round are pretty inaccurate if target maneuver once the rounds are fired

A-10 surveys(wide FoV) at 7400m range, garbage like Bird Eye 400 at 700m range by its own. Traking (narrow FoV) possible at 12300m for assault plane, and at 4900m range for UAV. I had showed already how "inaccurate" is 2A38 cannons, requires a direct hits. Imagine by yourself how "inaccurate" will be S-60 cannon with shrapnel/prefragmented rounds and modern aiming system against subsonic cruise missiles, and especially loitering garbage. ;) 148 rounds will turn to dozens of shooted down targets such this, with huge fire capacity, because it don't need to hold every target untill hit. It is also capable even against enemy infantry and armored vehicles, wich Thor is suppose to be very suffer in first line of land troops.

eloise wrote:Radio command still require target to maintain line of sight with your ground radar, once target dive below the radar horizon there isn't any thing you can do

Yep, yep, isn't. If it makes you more dreaming - of course. Mighty and advanced HARM block A could hold last position of target, but complete air defence complex can't guide missiles to the end of track... Or retargeting. Even S-125 can launch missile manually, before the target comes in range, but modern complexes can't - impossible, anonimus "eloise" from f-16.net have forbidden. :?
For antenna's altitude 5m at the range about 220-250km "under radiohrizon" will be lower than 3km. It is easy reachable by MANPADS and AAA. In practize nobody would do that, if this dandger exist on battlefield - all planes always lift up at least 5-6km altitude. But for this altitude line of sight will be about ~300km range.
Buk Image
S-350 Image
Both S-300 Image
Don't forget about some special mines for valleys and so on.
Main feature is to shout out as loud as air defence crew members can hear you: "I'm in sanctuary, under radiohorizon!", and you will be totally safe, and all will be well. :)

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 12:05

eloise wrote:
hocum wrote: wrote:Is Dash-X ready now?
Rise and repeat wasted you munitions. Such munitions are useful to CONTROL your own, or may be some disputed territory. In position area it would be shooted down by 2S38 or even ZU-23-2 on mobile chassys - whithout any observation. Doy you think such garbage may fly easily at closer distances???

Yes it is, already done controlled flight test in 2017, the concept isn't so complex in fact.

Well, think better.
Again tests? Again you will come back when it will ready.
Some strange that my sourses can't give even main characteristics of this.

eloise wrote:That is hilarious Jewish F-35 aren't yet certificated to use cruise missile, only GBU-39 , GBU-12 and GBU-31, which mean it must approach at high altitude

By misterious quest both syrian Pantsirs was hited something similar that "Daliah" cruise missile in both videos. But it isn't matter: so many years IAF jumps up and down - and what is sucsess? 1 Pantsir destroyed in 2011, another in 2018, and one more in 2019. Couple more hited in Idlib by turkish forces. Nothing about Buk-M2Es. One F-16 was lost. Looks some disappointed. Where is total crushing of syrian air defence? Looks like lazy skirmish between aviation and air defence, with negligible casualties on both sides and exchange airborn minitions for air defence missiles.
If you want to reach something more, you need to fly ahead more decisively, and your casualties will be much higher.

eloise wrote:No, they are not the same. Firstly, ballistic missile follow a ballistic curve which mean they climbed to much higher altitude before diving down and that give air defense much longer warning time due to longer radar horizon
Secondly, with quasi ballistic missile such as Pershing-2, because they only maneuver in the re-entry phase, they follow a very predictable path in the mid phase and can be stopped there, the area of uncertainty is also much smaller because they only started to maneuver once they entered atmosphere again.

Well, and this person require from me proves on each my statement...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_II
Reaction control system (RCS). Provides pitch, yaw, and roll control during the midcourse portion of flight.

Only re-enter... Are you sure? So why did warhead have baloon with pressure gas onboard and some nozzles? Again: there isn't quality difference between ARRW and Pershing-2 from air defence looking. There wasn't predictible trajectory, that was because USSR forced USA to destroy all Pershings. May be quantity differences will be, may be no. Even if will be - S-300V** passed through 2 large modernizations from this time and its potential grows up almost 10 times. Wouldn't easy breackthrogh by single ARRW.

eloise wrote:ARRW is also not the only future hypersonic missiles

https://youtu.be/_cImKdLg_2A
Some late. Main partners already have something similar. In reality, instead of images/movies and pre-tests without launch.

eloise wrote:Last but not least, an air defense can only shot down as many targets as the number of missiles it has, so just because your air defense is capable of intercepting a ballistic missile doesn't mean it can't be overwhelmed by subsonic mini cruise missile like Spear or bombs like SDB, this is especially true for system with limited number of round like S-300V4. And kinematic is only one aspect of the equation, there are trouble arising from jamming as well

So less target speed and manuevring, so easy to shoot it down. Let's look my last videos again and fully, don't forget to turn on english subtitles. :)
That is because designing and producing very-very slow loitering munitions isn't good idea. US AF tries Tacit Rainbow many years ago, and didn't impress. China didn't impress by Harops/Harpies and even rejected to upgrade it. This garbage is expensive staff against weak enemy only. Good for spread military budget, bad for real war. Worse than another existing weapons, it is more correct. But better than nothing, of course.

eloise wrote:That look like very poorly made decoy. If APG-81 can distinguish between a truck and an APC, I'm sure it can distinguish something like this

That look like little deflate. :) Let's find 10 differences:

regnum_picture_1514638957912568_normal.jpg

You even don't know how arctic modification of Thor looks like. So, you may sure that Earth is flat as well. :?

hocum

Banned

Unread post09 Jan 2021, 12:13

eloise wrote:If your short range air defense vehicle is 30-50 km away from the long range batteries/radar then they would be quite useless in protecting that important long range batteries/radar from ground hugging cruise missiles.

If main dangerous direction can define surely. Why do you try to distort the meaning of my phrases so rude and obvious? No any way for counter-argument?

eloise wrote:ok, I will give you benefit of the doubt even though it is hard to believe that you ever served as S-300 operator given your quite obvious mistake about 9M82 and 9M83 guidance system. Can you prove the part I highlight?

9M82MD/9M83MD. What mistake you mean for? It is you make at least some mistakes in every post here.
My S-300PT/PS and S-300V has almost nothing similar, but where did I mistake?
Can I prove? Well, there is virtual training simulator for 5E26, "center computer core" of S-300P** - [url]//dfmsu.narod.ru/study/cvk.rar[/url]
File -> open -> I.map and you can imagine that you are S-300 guy on control pad "I". Or at least to try, because all cyrillic... ;?

eloise wrote:No, there is no version of 9M82 and 9M83 with active radar seeker, that is a fact whether you like it or not. 9M96 and 9K317 are completely different missiles.As explained earlier, there isn't any version of 9M82 and 9M83 with active radar seeker.

Yep, even more lighter missile has this. Even similar therritoral missile has this. Even more lighter and therritorial missile has this. But much more expensive core complex for land troops air defence hasn't allegedly. :) Into another reality. If you would right, at least last modernization to V4 was almost useless: what benefit from longer missile range if you can aim target at such distances only in stratosphere...
And don't "active" - dual-mode seekers, which can operate both semi-active and active modes.
It's your turn to prove your words by something more believable. For now you just claim that it has only semi-active seekers by your own words and nothing more. I suppose by analogy and base on air defence's developing strategy, which declares replacement semi-active seekers by dual-mode ones and similary missiles' data. But you do the same - if original complex in 1983 had this, ostensibly lazy russians of course can't change it even now. Why my words must be worse that yours?

milosh wrote:Any info about 9M100 missile price? It looks lot more pontent then earlier shorter range Soviet/Russian missiles.

Unfortunatly, I haven't. It must use firstly by naval as I know, it interests me lesser. When S-350 will spread more widely, or new russian ships will sell abroad we will know something more.
I don't think that modern short range air defence need more potent missile than existing. It is opposite: for Thor and Pantsir are designing less heavy and more cheap missiles:
scale_1200.jpg

If partners want to spend lots of money for loitering munitions instead of normal weapons, I would be only glad.

Ps. Uh, this was more than I want. So, New Year holidays ends, pandemy decrease - again I will be here not so soon. And I don't want to listen music box, again and again the same music about cruise missile and loitering garbage. So this attempts I will ignore, and will answer only for new arguments.

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Jan 2021, 15:17

hocum wrote:
eloise wrote:Too slow?. Even though they only fly at subsonic speed, these missile can still fly at around 1098 km/h, how fast can Buk vehicle travel? 40 km/h?

Just like that. Again and last time: subsonic weapons require tons of time to reach targets' area, it gives for enemy much possibuilites to shoot it down and to avoid backstrike. And it is no more than easy targets, as I had shown earlier.

In case subsonic weapons requires tons of time to reach target area (which they don't) then something that can only travel at 40 km/h and NEVER IN A STRAIGHT LINE (the shortest path from point A to B) since it requires using existing roads or suitable terrain to navigate would require how much time to get clear from the targeted area?? I would say 'Hundreds or tons of time' (this, using your 'measurement unit')! Or resuming, when subsonic weapons reach the target area then air defense systems will still be very close to this same target area.

And no, you haven't shown earlier or ever that subsonic weapons are easy to be shot down. Actually REAL WORLD evidence such as in Syria clearly shows the opposite as it was shown to you earlier several times over and over and over again!

For the rest of your posts/comments, I don't have neither the time or patience do address them so I'll let others to reply.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Jan 2021, 17:04

ricnunes wrote:In case subsonic weapons requires tons of time to reach target area (which they don't) then something that can only travel at 40 km/h and NEVER IN A STRAIGHT LINE (the shortest path from point A to B) since it requires using existing roads or suitable terrain to navigate would require how much time to get clear from the targeted area?? I would say 'Hundreds or tons of time' (this, using your 'measurement unit')! Or resuming, when subsonic weapons reach the target area then air defense systems will still be very close to this same target area.

Exactly. A mobile SAM launcher/radar, can't move fast enough, to avoid being hit (PGMs can hit targets traveling at >70mph.) The weapons are receiving continuous updates allowing them to know the target position in real time.

And no, you haven't shown earlier or ever that subsonic weapons are easy to be shot down. Actually REAL WORLD evidence such as in Syria clearly shows the opposite as it was shown to you earlier several times over and over and over again!

For the rest of your posts/comments, I don't have neither the time or patience do address them so I'll let others to reply.

It's proven hard enough to intercept generally non-stealthy weapons, much less VLO weapons hiding in EA/EW en route. The Pk versus these weapons is going to be very low, and require a large number of interceptors (i.e. more than can be fired without reloading.)
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum