Basement Dweller Butthurt.

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 08 May 2019, 04:10

Correct, what they found was a very badly damaged flight data recorder with the storage medium (the solid state drives or whatever) missing.

This will make investigator's life a lot harder, but (if I'm not misunderstanding an F-35 maintainer I've spoken with) the F-35A's black box is apparently stored in the base of the left vertical stabiliser (presumably in the avionics bay back there, near the rear-lower MADL arrays), so the fact that it's basically been destroyed would suggest that this might have been a rather high speed crash.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 08 May 2019, 04:23

spazsinbad wrote:
"...It's not called the Daily Sexpress for nothing. The British tabloid press is to be trusted under literally no circumstances."
It is truly awful. Sadly the formerly Oz Newstrash Typoon MurderDoc has a lot to answer for the wrapper rubbish <sigh>.

What is really funny, is the little boy from Adelaide. Helping his dad's small volume, daily rag. Has gone on to be the puppet master of the right wing, in an influential country. He is in effect, the most powerful man in the world.
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 08 May 2019, 07:20

krieger22 wrote:
marsavian wrote:It is quite sad that in the internet age with more data at everyone's disposal the quality of professional journalism had actually gone down significantly. Perhaps they lack the intelligence to filter the signal from all the noise out there.

The people running the financial side of newsrooms don't want to spend on hiring people who know what they're talking about, and those who do know what they're talking about tend to get headhunted by organizations other than news sites.

Or it's there, but it's paywalled. All the Wall Street Journal articles about the latest revelations regarding the 737 MAX are all paywalled. A dumpster fire of an IEEE Spectrum article on it? Free access! Guess what people are going to read.

viper12 wrote:Is it me or the Express' article tries to complete a bingo card of falsehoods ? I think they got an average of at least one falsehood/misleading statement per sentence...

It's not called the Daily Sexpress for nothing. The British tabloid press is to be trusted under literally no circumstances.

“Most of the outlets are reporting on world events from Washington. The average reporter we talk to is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns. That’s a sea change. They literally know nothing.”
Ben Rhodes, Obama advisor.

The don't have the money to have foreign bureaus anymore.

before the phrase "fake news" took off I was trying to articulate the click bait dunning krueger examples I saw everywhere. Tyler Rogoaway being one of them, but david axe is another prime example.

People may not like Trump, but hes 100 percent right on the sorry state of the media. And they're completely clueless that they're clueless. Thats how they blew one of the biggest stories of the 21st century:

And the irony of that, is no one should be more mad than the left.
Choose Crews

by krieger22 » 08 May 2019, 15:42

Funny you mention Ben Rhodes, since he's also been a pretty spectacular symptom of that ever since leaving the White House. Still, there's got to be something inspiring about someone with a creative writing degree of all things directing government policy...

Anyway, back on topic

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by optimist » 08 May 2019, 15:48

Bring it on. I want to see TOP GUN II
Europe's fighters been decided. Not a Eurocanard, it's the F-35 (or insert derogatory term) Count the European countries with it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 08 May 2019, 16:44

krieger22 wrote:Funny you mention Ben Rhodes, since he's also been a pretty spectacular symptom of that ever since leaving the White House. Still, there's got to be something inspiring about someone with a creative writing degree of all things directing government policy...

Anyway, back on topic

Why didn't the navy just invest in 300 million dollar a piece hybrids of F-14/F-22?! If it only it had don'e that we could have 12 carriers sharing about 200 fighters right now!!!

Looks like that "f-14" has had a lot more than a FBW upgrade too...

Why navy so dumb?!
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 08 May 2019, 17:43

Dragon029 wrote:Correct, what they found was a very badly damaged flight data recorder with the storage medium (the solid state drives or whatever) missing.

I take it the storage medium is not actually part of the data recorder? Is that normal? :|
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 08 May 2019, 19:22

Crash analysis is not the primary reason for the military data recorders.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 08 May 2019, 21:45

sferrin wrote:
Dragon029 wrote:Correct, what they found was a very badly damaged flight data recorder with the storage medium (the solid state drives or whatever) missing.

I take it the storage medium is not actually part of the data recorder? Is that normal? :|

I'm under the understanding that it is (what is a flight data recorder if not something that records data); the thing was just that badly damaged.

This is what we're apparently talking about; the F-35's "Crash Survivable Memory Unit" (CSMU):

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 08 May 2019, 22:11

So.. maybe they found the "data collector" but not the CSMU that it used to store the data?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 08 May 2019, 22:38

It's being reported / described as the "flight data recorder" with descriptions like:

Takeshi Iwaya, Japan’s defence minister, said that the search has found some components of the crashed jet at the bottom of the ocean. However, the flight data recorder was damaged and memory chips that could contain a record of the accident have not yet been located.

https://www.ft.com/content/5a263c2c-709 ... 68069fbd15

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 May 2019, 01:18

Dragon029 wrote:It's being reported / described as the "flight data recorder" with descriptions like:

Takeshi Iwaya, Japan’s defence minister, said that the search has found some components of the crashed jet at the bottom of the ocean. However, the flight data recorder was damaged and memory chips that could contain a record of the accident have not yet been located.

https://www.ft.com/content/5a263c2c-709 ... 68069fbd15

Any chance of getting most of the appropriate text excerpted here please - otherwise non-subscribers see nothing. TIA.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 09 May 2019, 08:25

More from that FT article

Japan has recovered part of the flight data recorder from an F-35 stealth fighter that crashed almost a month ago, but the fuselage with its highly sensitive technology is still missing. Mr Iwaya said that the Kaimei, a marine survey ship operated by Japan’s education ministry, and the deep sea diving ship Van Gogh, chartered by the US Navy, have joined Japanese minesweepers in the search.

“Based on information collected by Kaimei and after confirmation on the seabed by the Van Gogh, we’ve identified components of the F-35A including part of the flight data recorder,” said Mr Iwaya. “This portion of the flight data recorder has been raised by the Van Gogh, and the ministry and self-defence forces are now examining it, but thus far the crucial memory — the recording media — has not been discovered.”

The search continues, said Mr Iwaya. “The ministry and self-defence forces, working closely with these various vessels, will carry on searching for the missing pilot and fuselage, in order to recover them and establish the cause of the accident,” he said.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 10 May 2019, 22:24

Convenient how he has completely ignored the $1.3 Billion that Canada has already secured and that ONLY Partners and NOT FMS customers can bid on Partner purchased F-35s, not to mention the FMS fees that FMS customers pay. I would love to debate him, but my parents taught me not to beat up the mentally retarded.

So, the Canadian government has backed down, and is changing the rules of its new fighter competition to allow Lockheed Martin to compete with the F-35 – the only aircraft that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised that Canada would never buy.
This Canadian about-turn also confirms one of the anomalies of the F-45 Joint Strike Fighter program: partner countries -- which have paid a share of the aircraft’s $66.2 billion development – cannot benefit from the offsets that are available to countries that buy the aircraft off-the-shelf, through the Foreign Military Sales program.

In other words, Canada has accepted the risk of obtaining no offsets on its largest-ever defense purchase, so writing off a potential economic gain of C$ 15 billion to C$19 billion.)

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/artic ... 5-bid.html

by krieger22 » 31 May 2019, 15:10

The Canadian-Swedish Joint Cope Project

PreviousNext