The USN is dragging its feet on 5th gen fighters.

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2896
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post21 Aug 2016, 19:15

XanderCrews wrote:Love the V-22 posts, thank you 8)


V-22, no relevance..except...the intuitive link for the LHx RoRo tanker for the F-35B as the Nav drags along behind and maybe one day they will discover the CMV-22 (COD) can also.....

:)
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2896
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post21 Aug 2016, 19:20

spazsinbad wrote:....The Air Boss noted the long-range ID aspect of F-35 but said the service is building sensors and weapons to bring this extended reach to other planes (F-18s) too...


Hopefully the tactics will allow the F-35C to operate similar to the F-22 with the F-15/16s.
:)
Offline

arian

Banned

  • Posts: 1293
  • Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 09:25

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 01:54

What "90 aircraft" wing did they sail with? What was that 90 made up of? The whole point of something like the Super Hornet is so that you can do more with less, and then we complain when the plane does exactly what it supposed to do.
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2896
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 04:24

arian wrote:What "90 aircraft" wing did they sail with? What was that 90 made up of? ....


USS George H.W. Bush. (CVN-77) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 8

CVW-8 consists of 8 Squadrons

1- VFA-15- Strike Fighter Squadron 15- Valions- (10) F/A-18C Hornet
2- VFA-31- Strike Fighter Squadron 31- Tomcatters- (12) F/A-18E Super Hornet
3- VFA-87- Strike Fighter Squadron 87- Golden Warriors- (10) F/A-18C Hornet
4- VFA-213- Strike Fighter Squadron 213- Black Lions- (12) F/A-18F Super Hornet

5- VAW-124- Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 124- Bear Aces- (4) E-2C Hawkeye

6- VAQ-131- Electronic Attack Squadron 131- Lancers- (5) EA-18G

7- VRC-40- Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 40 Det. 2- Rawhides- (2) C-2A Greyhound

8-a HSC-9- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 9- Tridents- (4) MH-60S Seahawk
8-b HSM-70- Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 70- Spartans- (4) MH-60R Seahawk

63 a/c total

plus 24 a/c from the VMFA (F/A-18C) / VMFA(AW) (F/A-18D) as required or....

86+ (90) a/c

aka: Birdfarms

ps:
1- where do they put all of those planes, everywhere!/ also known as the hangar deck.
2- the F/A-18C/D are to be replaced by the F-35B/C

:)
Offline
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7065
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 04:49

For the record most marine hornet two seaters do not deploy to the boat. It's very very rare, but I'm not ready to say "never"
Choose Crews
Offline

35_aoa

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 28 Apr 2015, 04:03
  • Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 06:50

Yeah. I was on the last CVW-8 deployment, and we did not have any Marines in the airwing…….at the time there were 3 carrier based VMFA's, specifically VMFA-323, VMFA-312, and VMFA-251, who during their time in the CVN fleet deployed with CVW-11, CVW-3, and CVW-1 respectively, and not our airwing. At last count, all three have been subsequently taken off the CSG roster. Marine 2 seat/ VMFA(AW) squadrons are exclusively shore based. VMFAT-101 takes B/D's to the boat during cat 1 CQ but that back seat is solo-ized and empty.
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2896
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 07:25

XanderCrews wrote:For the record most marine hornet two seaters do not deploy to the boat. It's very very rare, but I'm not ready to say "never"


Doesn't matter, the Corp is replacing the D with the F-35B/C; not dragging their feet. The Nav will "have to" fly the Corp "C" from the boat, until they build the Nav squadrons; as in the current boat quals.
:)
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2896
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 07:39

35_aoa wrote:Yeah. I was on the last CVW-8 deployment, and we did not have any Marines in the airwing…….at the time there were 3 carrier based VMFA's, specifically VMFA-323, VMFA-312, and VMFA-251, who during their time in the CVN fleet deployed with CVW-11, CVW-3, and CVW-1 respectively, and not our airwing. At last count, all three have been subsequently taken off the CSG roster. Marine 2 seat/ VMFA(AW) squadrons are exclusively shore based. VMFAT-101 takes B/D's to the boat during cat 1 CQ but that back seat is solo-ized and empty.


My crystal ball doesn't out guess either Nav or Corp Air.
F-35C is a cat and trap a/c that can operate from runways.
The Corp can not IOC the F-35C before the Nav.
Please don't try to guess how this will, develop; you can be right or wrong, flip a coin., it doesn't matter.
:wink:
Offline

arian

Banned

  • Posts: 1293
  • Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 09:25

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 07:58

neptune wrote:
arian wrote:What "90 aircraft" wing did they sail with? What was that 90 made up of? ....


USS George H.W. Bush. (CVN-77) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 8

CVW-8 consists of 8 Squadrons

1- VFA-15- Strike Fighter Squadron 15- Valions- (10) F/A-18C Hornet
2- VFA-31- Strike Fighter Squadron 31- Tomcatters- (12) F/A-18E Super Hornet
3- VFA-87- Strike Fighter Squadron 87- Golden Warriors- (10) F/A-18C Hornet
4- VFA-213- Strike Fighter Squadron 213- Black Lions- (12) F/A-18F Super Hornet

5- VAW-124- Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 124- Bear Aces- (4) E-2C Hawkeye

6- VAQ-131- Electronic Attack Squadron 131- Lancers- (5) EA-18G

7- VRC-40- Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 40 Det. 2- Rawhides- (2) C-2A Greyhound

8-a HSC-9- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 9- Tridents- (4) MH-60S Seahawk
8-b HSM-70- Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 70- Spartans- (4) MH-60R Seahawk

63 a/c total

plus 24 a/c from the VMFA (F/A-18C) / VMFA(AW) (F/A-18D) as required or....

86+ (90) a/c

aka: Birdfarms

ps:
1- where do they put all of those planes, everywhere!/ also known as the hangar deck.
2- the F/A-18C/D are to be replaced by the F-35B/C

:)


Right, so that's the current. I was alluding to the claim that "in the past" they carried or deployed regularly with more planes than today. Maybe, but many of those were other support types (ASW platforms) or single-role aircraft (A-6, A-7, F-14). The point of a multi-role platform like F/A-18 was not to need multiple types of specialized planes, which meant you can also get away with fewer of them (no need for dedicated escorts for strikes etc.)

So overall numbers don't tell the whole story in comparison to the past.
Offline

35_aoa

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 28 Apr 2015, 04:03
  • Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 08:14

neptune wrote:
My crystal ball doesn't out guess either Nav or Corp Air.
F-35C is a cat and trap a/c that can operate from runways.
The Corp can not IOC the F-35C before the Nav.
Please don't try to guess how this will, develop; you can be right or wrong, flip a coin., it doesn't matter.
:wink:


Don't see why the USMC can't IOC their jet first (F-35B for discussion sake)…….they were the first to IOC the F/A-18A. If you want to limit the discussion to F-35C, ok. The Marines will probably not see one of those for several years, and even that is tentative.
Offline

arian

Banned

  • Posts: 1293
  • Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 09:25

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 08:18

35_aoa wrote:
neptune wrote:
My crystal ball doesn't out guess either Nav or Corp Air.
F-35C is a cat and trap a/c that can operate from runways.
The Corp can not IOC the F-35C before the Nav.
Please don't try to guess how this will, develop; you can be right or wrong, flip a coin., it doesn't matter.
:wink:


Don't see why the USMC can't IOC their jet first (F-35B for discussion sake)…….they were the first to IOC the F/A-18A. If you want to limit the discussion to F-35C, ok. The Marines will probably not see one of those for several years, and even that is tentative.


Isn't F-35B already IOC? What am I missing here?
Offline

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2550
  • Joined: 07 Jun 2012, 02:41
  • Location: Singapore

Unread post22 Aug 2016, 12:16

The USMC already has F-35Cs in its inventory (at Eglin for pilot training) since late 2014.

As the navy will get its combat coded f-35Cs earlier than the USMC (fleet operational by 2018), the USN should get to IOC its F-35Cs before the USMC does (1st sqn FY 2020). No crystal ball required. Its pretty well documented.
Offline

35_aoa

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 28 Apr 2015, 04:03
  • Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Unread post23 Aug 2016, 03:49

Yes, F-35B has been IOC'd. Yes Marines do fly F-35C at -101. My point being that *probably* the USN fleet will get the first operational -35C squadron, but that isn't to say that there would be something politically un-doable about having the Corps IOC the -C first instead. Like I said, they did it with the Hornet. USN and USMC aren't at war with one another, nor are they engaged in some political turf battle. Will that happen with the -C? Again, probably not just due to service level priorities. Bottom line, the USMC already was the first in the DoN to IOC a JSF, regardless of what series it was.
Offline

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3287
  • Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 01:30

Unread post23 Aug 2016, 04:04

35_aoa wrote:...USN and USMC aren't at war with one another, nor are they engaged in some political turf battle...


Never worked in the beltway, eh?
Offline
User avatar

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2896
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 00:03
  • Location: Houston

Unread post23 Aug 2016, 05:14

quicksilver wrote:
35_aoa wrote:...USN and USMC aren't at war with one another, nor are they engaged in some political turf battle...


Never worked in the beltway, eh?


:wink:
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests