F-35 Unofficial nickname

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by fiskerwad » 17 Jan 2013, 15:55

The USMC might be tempted to call theirs, Hoover.
My guess is that each variant will get its own name.
fisk
Mipple?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 17 Jan 2013, 17:56

I have heard Marine pilots in interviews call it "The B" Gums seems to have adopted this too. Makes me think we will see patches that look like this someday:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by whitewhale » 17 Jan 2013, 18:58

Iam not 100% sure why we UK folk call the B 'Dave' although I get the feeling its an insult possibly related to our Prime minister David 'call me Dave' Cameron. I have also heard it called 'Trigger' by a RAF tech who I play football with but again that's another insult as its named after Trigger from only fools and horses, a very... lets just say slow individual.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 17 Jan 2013, 21:07

stobiewan wrote:In UK service, the F35 already appears to have been christened "Dave" so we're sorted on that one at least :)

I believe the Dave name is one that is meant to be derogatory and is used by those fools who want to criticise the F-35.

The mean it as in they believe the F-35 is plain and boring.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 17 Jan 2013, 21:10

XanderCrews wrote:I have heard Marine pilots in interviews call it "The B" Gums seems to have adopted this too. Makes me think we will see patches that look like this someday:

Maybe it will become "The Killer Bee"? :D

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 17 Jan 2013, 21:12

cola wrote:Image

Trollslayer?

:applause:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 17 Jan 2013, 21:13

gtx wrote:
stobiewan wrote:In UK service, the F35 already appears to have been christened "Dave" so we're sorted on that one at least :)

I believe the Dave name is one that is meant to be derogatory and is used by those fools who want to criticise the F-35.

The mean it as in they believe the F-35 is plain and boring.

Unlike all those other beautiful fighters the UK has been churning out since 1957. :lol:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Jan 2013, 21:22

'Dave' is not derogatory. Just a name so as to call the many named potential which became the F-35B something by the 'somebodies' in the UK - probably on pPrune. No big deal - just evidence of some Brit deadpan humour. They will probably call it 'Dave B' to be formal.

'The B' as used by the USMC seem to be the one for that variant as suggested by 'XanderCrews' (and 'Gums' and others) USMC? To be or not TO BEE! :D

Seems to me that 'SeaJet' for the F-35C or just plain 'C' (aka 'Sea') will get a Guernsey and it 'seams' to be in use also if not only on this forum by 'neppie' or 'poppy' or other druthers already. :roll:

Perhaps the notoriously fun-luvin' USN will go with the 'seal' as in....

Seal - Never Gonna Survive.wmv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnrUVuG4sOs
Attachments
F35fightingSEALbadge16ed.gif
Last edited by spazsinbad on 17 Jan 2013, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by whitewhale » 17 Jan 2013, 21:32

This is the best I could find for the first reference of 'Dave'.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/ ... e-jsf.html

And to be honest I do get a derogatory feel, especially given how other options were 'Pug Ugly XXXVII', 'The Turkey' and 'Prescott' (hugely expensive but not sure what it does) a reference to john prescott.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Jan 2013, 21:39

'WhiteOvies' picked up on it 'Dave' along with the reference to HAL and the conversation between them 'Open the Pod Bay Doors HAL' - "I'm sorry DAVE". :D WhiteOvies (signifying an RN Engineer Officer on Deck (amongst other wearers of white but he is in all white overalls) is a credible source on pPrune along with a few others I could name but then is will be only IMHO. I would suggest that Brits share this 'deadseal' humour and the spelling there of and the understanding of it with the Ozzers and Canukers. Others may struggle but what the hell IMaHO. :twisted:

by f-22lm » 17 Jan 2013, 22:39

spazsinbad wrote:'Dave' is not derogatory. Just a name so as to call the many named potential which became the F-35B something by the 'somebodies' in the UK - probably on pPrune. No big deal - just evidence of some Brit deadpan humour. They will probably call it 'Dave B' to be formal.

'The B' as used by the USMC seem to be the one for that variant as suggested by 'XanderCrews' (and 'Gums' and others) USMC? To be or not TO BEE! :D

Seems to me that 'SeaJet' for the F-35C or just plain 'C' (aka 'Sea') will get a Guernsey and it 'seams' to be in use also if not only on this forum by 'neppie' or 'poppy' or other druthers already. :roll:

Perhaps the notoriously fun-luvin' USN will go with the 'seal' as in....

Seal - Never Gonna Survive.wmv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnrUVuG4sOs
Spaz, can you tell me where did the pic from? :lol:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Jan 2013, 00:07

The Google string 'F-35 Clubbed Like Baby Seals' will bring a few results and onesuchbelow:

Joint Strike Fighters ‘Clubbed’ in Computer War Game By David Axe 15 Sep 2008

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/09 ... alth-figh/

"A U.S. air-warfare simulation pitting F-35 Joint Strike Fighters versus the latest Russian Su-35 heavy fighters resulted in a clear victory … for the Russians. "The JSF had been clubbed like baby seals by the simulated Sukhois," one Australian opposition politician said, quoting a source close to the simulation...."

Defence Business: The continuing JSF debate ADM Nov 08
01 Nov 2008

http://www.australiandefence.com.au/60D ... 50568C22C9

"As a response to the latest criticism of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) the entertaining people of Lockheed produced artwork for what appears to be a shoulder patch or perhaps a bumper sticker featuring a baby seal with a club declaring: “F-35 Fighting Seal - this baby clubs back.”
A Special Correspondent Canberra

Statement Regarding Media Coverage of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

http://www.rand.org/news/press/2008/09/25.html

Andrew Hoehn, Director of RAND Project Air Force, made the following statement today: Thursday September 25, 2008

“Recently, articles have appeared in the Australian press with assertions regarding a war game in which analysts from the RAND Corporation were involved. Those reports are not accurate. RAND did not present any analysis at the war game relating to the performance of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, nor did the game attempt detailed adjudication of air-to-air combat. Neither the game nor the assessments by RAND in support of the game undertook any comparison of the fighting qualities of particular fighter aircraft.”
Last edited by spazsinbad on 18 Jan 2013, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 18 Jan 2013, 00:08

Penguin?
Tuxedo?
Blowfish?
C-lion?
C-hag?
Puffin?
Whale?
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by fiskerwad » 18 Jan 2013, 16:11

Lambo?
with a remote control for opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLFPCBdUoWQ
fisk
Mipple?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by SnakeHandler » 18 Jan 2013, 18:09

Maybe we should call it "The ROK." Much like the peninsula, it's close, but it's just not quite right.

PreviousNext