Unread post14 May 2021, 02:32

Vietnam veteran (Combat Engineer) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 May 2021, 02:53

"...Finland and Switzerland."

Somebody know something the rest of us don't?

(C'mon Buckley! Seriously... none of those locations, 'cept possibly San Antonio will have as good weather year round as Denver. And who wants to be in San Antonio in the summer?)
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

magitsu

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 May 2021, 13:36

Here's one more Buckley shadow vote from Finland. Space Forces, cool climate and haven't lost their flying units a decade ago like in Holman or Fort Smith.

A delegation from the Singapore Air Force visited Selfridge in late March to tour the base, he added, and met with Michigan Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers and Air National Guard Commander Brig. Gen. Bryan Teff, as well as local officials. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer addressed the group by Zoom, Ulmer said.

The Singapore group would at first relocate its F-16 training unit from Luke Air Force Base in Phoenix to the new international training center in 2023, with the intention of swapping out those aircraft for the F-35 in a couple years, Ulmer said.

It seems Singapore is in the co-driver's seat with their sizable contingent that's already decided to come. Though it seems to be "Singapore's F-16 training operations" first, F-35 later.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post14 May 2021, 15:52

steve2267 wrote: And who wants to be in San Antonio in the summer?

After 4 summers there, I can say the answer should be ZERO.
Choose Crews

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post15 May 2021, 05:19

XanderCrews wrote:
steve2267 wrote: And who wants to be in San Antonio in the summer?

After 4 summers there, I can say the answer should be ZERO.

Wimps!

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post15 May 2021, 21:43

Salute!

Still laughing, John-Boy!

Those folks from Singapore know what they are doing,,,,,, until January at Selfridge!

To be honest, the overall weather is better here by Tyndall and Eglin.... and the folks get to fly in poor weather.

I do not like Buckley except that a heavy loadout will water their eyes when using two or three check speeds like we did at Korat in the Sluf. Rolled 10,000 feet at Colorado Springs one day in my Sluf.....

I like San Antonio.

Gums sends...
Last edited by Gums on 16 May 2021, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post15 May 2021, 23:54

:salute:

f-16adf

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 May 2021, 00:38

January at Selfridge is a joyride compared to the heat and misery of a LONG Florida summer or anything basically south of 42 degrees lat. LOL

KMTC has alot of good airspace like Pike E/W, Steelhead. But leave it up to the people in Lansing to lose this one.

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post16 May 2021, 14:40

Salute!

Most folks do not unnerstan Florida. It ain't all palm trees and iguanas falling from trees when it gets below 50 deg. We go from 24.5 lattitude to my own 30.5 and from sea level to a coupla hundred feet here in my country - Eglin is 85 ft and end of rwy only a half mile from the water. Unlike south Florida, we have four seasons once north of Orlando, and summers about 5 or more deg cooler than Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade. We are definitely cooler than San Antonio or Ft Worth in July/August.

To be honest, I liked Ft Smith after a brief visit there years ago. The European folks would feel at home due to the terrain and climate. Small city, nice folks, no commuter traffic, etc. It is cheaper to live there than the Colorado site or prolly MIchigan or Texas.

Oh well, USAF is fielding a whole wing of F-35's at the refurbished Tyndall, and that makes the locals there happy. Was surprised they didn't put it on the list as it is up and running except for some of the base housing. Not sure about the remaining Raptor training, and looks like some of the ones here at Eglin are gonna go to Langley.

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post16 May 2021, 22:42

Gums wrote:Salute!

Most folks do not unnerstan Florida. It ain't all palm trees and iguanas falling from trees when it gets below 50 deg. We go from 24.5 lattitude to my own 30.5 and from sea level to a coupla hundred feet here in my country - Eglin is 85 ft and end of rwy only a half mile from the water. Unlike south Florida, we have four seasons once north of Orlando, and summers about 5 or more deg cooler than Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade. We are definitely cooler than San Antonio or Ft Worth in July/August.

To be honest, I liked Ft Smith after a brief visit there years ago. The European folks would feel at home due to the terrain and climate. Small city, nice folks, no commuter traffic, etc. It is cheaper to live there than the Colorado site or prolly MIchigan or Texas.

Oh well, USAF is fielding a whole wing of F-35's at the refurbished Tyndall, and that makes the locals there happy. Was surprised they didn't put it on the list as it is up and running except for some of the base housing. Not sure about the remaining Raptor training, and looks like some of the ones here at Eglin are gonna go to Langley.

Gums sends...

Speaking of sunny Florida. MacDill AFB in Tampa would make the ideal choice for a new International Training Base for the F-35's. With good weather all year long, near vast military training ranges (like Eglin), it's under utilized, and lastly has weather far closer to Singapore.....

Nonetheless, I hope Selfridge does at least get some F-35's for the Michigan Air National Guard. Which, has been fighting hard to acquire the aircraft for sometime.

Return to General F-35 Forum