Scuttlebutt: A Dutch FTU in Springfield OH?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by LinkF16SimDude » 02 Aug 2006, 07:11

Maybe some of our Dutch compadres can research this. Over on ARC is a thread that quotes a Defense Daily blurb which says the KLu is looking into opening an FTU site at Springfield OH. And the summary sounds like it'll be a HUGE upgrade for Springfield. LGB practice rounds, tons of 20mm rounds, gas, tanker support, the woiks! There's a full up Viper flight sim there already (I was on the install crew :wink:) but it's a regular Block 30 with no MLU specific stuff. I'm guessin' the KLu will bring their own jets and dress 'em up in Springfield colors like they did at Tucson a long while back.

Anybody hear anything official or otherwise along these lines?

Here's a link to the ARC thread.
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rhinophan99 » 02 Aug 2006, 20:54

The Dutch curerently already have a det here in the US ... It is is Fla and run by a civil company ... It seems to be more advance training kind of like Cold Lake but training non the less ...

Isn't the 178th going to close down next year ?

RJ

by FlyingWombat » 02 Aug 2006, 23:15

As of right now the 178th FW isn't set to lose their F-16s until 2010... at least as far as what I (a civilian) have read in the local papers. I do know that the area's representative (Dave Hobson) has been fighting very hard to keep the flying mission or bring a flying mission to the base. I've seen the facilities at Springfield and I can say they are new and very nice. A new control tower was just built and it was definitely a shame when the BRAC was announced. I've heard through the grapevine from a couple of my friends who are in the OHANG that there have been rumors about keeping the flying mission or bringing in a new one. I'm not sure how true this is, but that article just adds fuel to that fire.

Like I said I know they are fighting strongly to keep planes flying out of Springfield, and rightfully so... it is a very nice base from what I've seen and heard. Hopefully this is true... it would be very interesting to see Dutch F-16s wearing the colors of the Yoxford Boys.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rhinophan99 » 02 Aug 2006, 23:41

Thank's for the input ... Have to see what happens with this ... Maybe more likely that will see what happens as far as the unit keeping a flying mission or staying open than a foreign DET there but never know ..

How many F-16 RTU's do we need anyway ? With the reduction in the F-16 force with some of the ANG unit's closing down do we really need the 3 RTU's in the ANG and the Active Duty folks at Luke ..

As opposed to the Eagle community who just has 2 the ANG at Kinsley and the other folks at Tyndall ..

Something I am curious to know is if the ANG folks train at Tyndall as well as OR ..

RJ

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by LinkF16SimDude » 03 Aug 2006, 00:20

Well Luke pretty much has it's hands full with the majority of US training. Tucson was, and is, way busy with the foreign customers. So that left Kelly (now Lackland) and Springfield to fill in the gaps. I'm guessin' that the pre-existing relative size and capacity of each (Lackland and Springfield) deemed that there be a mission at both versus dumping a buncha cash on one site and waiting for it to be brought up to the needed capacity.

After BRAC the Springfield capacity would have moved to Lackland and prolly still will be. But this potential Dutch project at Springfield is for them only with the majority of the funding coming from the Dutch MoD.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rhinophan99 » 03 Aug 2006, 01:16

Thanks Link ! So basically then the Dutch may see this as a opportunity to have a facility to use and train all there own with the 178th then assuming maybe a caretaker status to keep the base running and what not for the needs of the Dutch ...?

A question for you unrelated Link ... I believe you said you were at Klamath Falls ? If so when you were there was the still an Alert DET manned by another unit ?

RJ

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by LinkF16SimDude » 03 Aug 2006, 07:50

The Defense Daily article states "The U.S. Air Force will provide program management while the Ohio Air National Guard will provide instruction, flight operations, maintenance support, and facilities" So you're lookin' at IP's, schedulers, wrench jockeys, weps, and others being filled by the 178th and maybe some ancillary Dutch elements. If they bring their own MLU jets there's some support issues with that (the P/W motor obviously) but nothin' insurmountable.

I believe you said you were at Klamath Falls ? If so when you were there was the still an Alert Det manned by another unit ?

I was there from March of '89 to the fall of '90. They did indeed have a Zulu barn just east of the main entrance road. At the time a unit flyin' F-4's (Portland I believe....prior to them gettin' Eagles) was housed there but sometimes you'd see Vipers there also. Seemed like they rotated units on a random basis.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by TenguNoHi » 04 Aug 2006, 04:32

I didnt bother reading ANY of the above; but I will tell you that I talked to a 178th IP last week at the Dayton air show and he said that it looked like they were doing the very same thing. (training NATO pilots)

I wouldn't be suprised. It seems like they are trying to give more gaurd units more missions traditionally thought of as AD.

-Aaron

by Destro » 04 Aug 2006, 05:09

I have heard that also, (that the Dutch are looking at Springfield as an RTU). That would be great news for those guys and gals if it happens. It kind of be like Holloman and the Luftwaffe.

See: http://www.f-16.net/news_article1908.html
WTF Over!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Debaser » 07 Aug 2006, 04:44

I've heard a lot about Springfield trying to get the Dutch mission....with their new facilities, it'd be a real waste to not keep a flying mission of some sort. Everyone that I've talked to down there seems pretty confident that they'll keep the mission.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 10 Mar 2007, 13:49

Update: <a href="news_article2226.html">Dutch F-16 are slowely arriving in Sprinfield AFB</a>

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Henrik » 10 Mar 2007, 14:28

Thank You very much, Lieven!!

Very interesting!!

Greetings,

Henrik.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by JoeSambor » 10 Mar 2007, 21:33

The contract has already been signed, and I believe the dates are pretty accurate.

Best Regards,
Joe Sambor
LM Aero Field Service Engineer
Woensdrecht Logistics Center, The Netherlands

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by rhinophan99 » 11 Mar 2007, 16:34

Can someone comment by chance on which unity from the RNALF is sending the jet's to Springfield ?

And also currious if they will keep that same designation, be merged with the current 162nd FS, or may there possibly be a stand up of a new squadron ?

RJ

by volkelintel » 14 Mar 2007, 19:10

Dutch will come around half april with 4to 6 F-16 and will slowly increase to 14 A/C.

Next