F-16 block 60 dodges missile

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

viperzerof-2

Unread post30 Jun 2022, 00:50

It’s pretty heart wrenching to see a near miss like that. I’m sorta suprised to see an expensive aircraft like that to be in a position to be fired on like that. I guess the UAE doesn’t have SEAD capability of any kind? Interestingly the block 60 has a robust terrain following capability not being used, which at least seems like it would be better then nothing. Still the plane made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24BsT5yvnQE&t=13s

http://www.flighttestsafety.org/images/ ... /Flynn.pdf

hythelday

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Jun 2022, 08:33

IMO this was some sort of pop-up threat, maybe they even used said FLIR to detect aircraft and only switched RF sensors for egagement. Can't really SEAD that, unless one has SEAD patrols on station 24/7/365 for straight 8 years of conflict.

The missiles missed, so I guess the pilot/ECM did the job right. Going low means getting into MANPADS/AAA territory, and those are certainly much more widely spread over there than an odd RF SAM.

ricnunes

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post30 Jun 2022, 13:18

hythelday wrote:IMO this was some sort of pop-up threat, maybe they even used said FLIR to detect aircraft and only switched RF sensors for egagement. Can't really SEAD that, unless one has SEAD patrols on station 24/7/365 for straight 8 years of conflict.

The missiles missed, so I guess the pilot/ECM did the job right.

According to the video, the missile launched against the F-16 was a R-27T. This is an IR-guided variant of the R-27 Air-to-Air missile (also known by NATO as the AA-10 Alamo) which was adapted to a ground based launcher. And since the missile is IR-guided there's nothing that an ECM could do.
The only useful thing in this situation would be a Missile Warning Launcher (BTW, does the F-16E/F carries one?) which would give the pilot a warning that a missile was incoming and since the RWR wouldn't "lit" (since apparently the missile was cued by FLIR and the missile is IR guided) the pilot should then reach the conclusion that the incoming missile is IR-guided and thus would then release Flares.

So what was used against that F-16 was a sort of a makeshift "SA-13" but with a better IR sensor and longer ranged missiles which seem to show that these Houthi rebels are really resourceful.

So yes, there's hardly anything that a SEAD flight could do in this regard. For instance the HARM missile would be useless in this situation.

hythelday wrote:Going low means getting into MANPADS/AAA territory, and those are certainly much more widely spread over there than an odd RF SAM.

Exactly!
Also and by flying low even that makeshift FLIR/R-27T system would have a better chance to hit the targeted aircraft like that F-16 compared when the same aircraft flies at higher altitudes (like it happened in this case).
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post30 Jun 2022, 13:44

They were possibly coupling the R-27Ts to a US Made FLIR Systems Ultra 8500 which they showed on video years back when these events were first happening. Other videos showed F-15 and Tornado being shot at from what I remember.

viperzerof-2

Unread post30 Jun 2022, 14:05

Apparently the missile being an R-27 is disputed

https://theaviationist.com/2018/03/28/h ... yemen/amp/

Return to General F-16 forum