Dutch Viper training phase out at Tucson

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 May 2022, 01:28

Saw a blurb on the 162nd's Facebook page about them packing up the KLu equipment in Tucson for the move to Phoenix. With the Dutch going all F-35 soon, has there been any chatter about how much longer the KLu Vipers will be in Tucson?

nrts1

Unread post10 May 2022, 15:31

Howdy, Good question. The majority of EPAF is going to F35. With Luke being the center for training, there's going to be a lot of foreign mil on base. I believe moving F16 assets to Luke would be a temporary move. Projected spare space available with two AETC squadrons leaving. The 162nd looks to be doing a lot of facility work and may need to move gear to sweep under the CTKs.

Perfect time for EPAF upgrading because Eastern European countries will be looking for their own upgrades. Not everyone can afford Fat Amy!
Content is for entertainment purposes only. Info gathered from F-16.net and open sources. I don't even know how to spell CUI!

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Aug 2022, 22:32

2 Aug 2022

Dutch Wrap up 32 Years of Flying with Tucson Air Guard
By Maj. Angela Walz, 162nd Wing

MORRIS AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Ariz. – U.S. and Dutch dignitaries and Air National Guard Airmen and Royal Netherlands Air Force personnel celebrated the end of an era as the RNLAF landed their last F-16 at Morris Air National Guard Base July 29, culminating a 32-year international training relationship.

“Arizona has developed an ever-lasting relationship with the Netherlands that will continue to strengthen interoperability between the United States and foreign partner nations across the globe,” said Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Butler, 162nd Wing commander. “This has been a partnership that extends beyond any other witnessed in National Guard history.”

The Dutch were the first in a long line of foreign partners to train at Morris ANG Base, flying an average of 2,000 hours per year in the F-16 and graduating four student pilots every nine months as part of the 148th Fighter Squadron.

“I was a student in the 148th Fighter Squadron in 1991,” said Lt. Col. Joost Luijsterburg, RNLAF detachment commander. “That was 31 years ago, and now I’m going to close this unit. ... It is the end of an era.”

https://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Arti ... air-guard/

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Aug 2022, 17:35

The US-based Dutch vipers will soon be handed over to Draken who has bought all 12 remaining jets currently in the US. I believe it is 7 dual seaters and 5 single seaters.
Best regards
Niels

Return to General F-16 forum