R11 fueler truck for F-16s question

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

boilermaker

Unread post14 Feb 2022, 14:48

Anyone here ever use in the late 80s R11 fueler truck for F-16s? Are these diesels air started? I know the later kovatch is, but was wondering about the Oshkosh one, if anyone had experience with it.

tbarlow

Unread post14 Feb 2022, 17:33

I was a POL troop at Hahn and Randolph. We got the R-11's not to long before I left. I'm 99% sure they were
electric. We had two R-9's, one Mack and one Dodge that they put air starters on for testing and it was a
royal pain in the A--! :doh: One developed an air leak on top of the tank. Every time you turned around the Dodge
air pressure was to low after being parked either in the lot or on the fill stand. You then had to bring over the
truck and hook a hose up to start the other or bring over an air compressor because the other truck wasn't
available. I'll ask on several other POL groups just to confirm...

edpop

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Feb 2022, 23:44

Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

boilermaker

Unread post21 Jun 2022, 03:35

tbarlow wrote:I was a POL troop at Hahn and Randolph. We got the R-11's not to long before I left. I'm 99% sure they were
electric. We had two R-9's, one Mack and one Dodge that they put air starters on for testing and it was a
royal pain in the A--! :doh: One developed an air leak on top of the tank. Every time you turned around the Dodge
air pressure was to low after being parked either in the lot or on the fill stand. You then had to bring over the
truck and hook a hose up to start the other or bring over an air compressor because the other truck wasn't
available. I'll ask on several other POL groups just to confirm...

OK. Thanks! IT worked out. I bought from auction a surplus R-11 and it started electrically as you said. It does have a solenoid valve shutting it off after it heats up. I think the wires are old and too much resistance in there. I might just install a cable to operate the valve manually instead.

I was wondering though if there was a forum or place for former POLs using the R11. THe POLs on my base wont let me access the manuals because of air force use only, meh. Just wanted to know if someone had more info on maintaining or operating these.

Thanks

Return to General F-16 forum