Flying an F-16 across the Ocean

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post01 Oct 2021, 17:07

When Obi Wan logged onto Twitter: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious"

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post04 Oct 2021, 01:48

I didn't hear him mention it (and drivers on here can correct me) but I'm guessing that, all the over-water survival gear aside, there's probably somewhat of a comfort advantage to having that reclined seat on long hops like that vs. sitting in a more upright seat like in an Eagle or Warthog for the same amount of time. There were times in my old Sims during testing when I'd just tip my cranium back and take a cat nap while the Eggheads tried to decide what their next move was. :-P

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Oct 2021, 12:44

I'd think in a single-seater the catnap would be dangerous. Having a second set of controls would be a lot more margin of error.

Do you think they'll ever integrate some sort of multi-ship coordination for auto-pilot, where maybe your tanker can keep you all in an organized group over the ocean and wake you up for fuel transfers. Maybe even linking up would be better in automated mode. Integration like that would make late night transits seem effortless.

knuckles

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Oct 2021, 04:25

Spoke to a Block 60 driver, who was doing the transatlantic flight from Spain to Shaw AFB in 2016. He said it was challenging at times particularly due to the weather. Air to air refueling was considered as a task to stay occupied.

aragornwi

Unread post12 Jan 2022, 23:05

madrat wrote:I'd think in a single-seater the catnap would be dangerous. Having a second set of controls would be a lot more margin of error.

Do you think they'll ever integrate some sort of multi-ship coordination for auto-pilot, where maybe your tanker can keep you all in an organized group over the ocean and wake you up for fuel transfers. Maybe even linking up would be better in automated mode. Integration like that would make late night transits seem effortless.

I flew the North Atlantic in the back of a D model a few years ago. Spent > 13 hours in the back seat, about hour 4 I pretty much forgot I had legs though cycling the G suit would wake them up a little bit.

Not a lot of room to shift your legs, not a lot of room to build your 'nest' of charts and other in flight products/iPad/food/piddle packs.

I'm not sure if the recline helps or hurts but the massive cockpit of an Eagle would at least give more room to stack the supplies!

Was an amazing experience though seeing land again after many hours was a VERY welcome sight and getting out of that seat after 13 hours AND getting out of the survival suit was even more welcome....

edpop

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post15 Jan 2022, 08:05

Speaking of flying over the ocean when I was coming back from Vietnam on a World Airways 707 in January 1968 we flew the direct route from Tokyo to Seattle instead of the scenic route which took us to Anchorage, Alaska and then Seattle. So, the pilot comes on the microphone and says we are halfway there. We all look out the window and notice there ain't no land anywhere to be seen and we just survived a year in Vietnam. So, one of the guys walks up to the cockpit (you could do that back then, in fact they invited us up there to look around if we wanted to) and asks what happens if there is a problem. The pilot laughs and said we are flying at 600 mph now and at 36,000 feet. If anything happens we can glide all the way home. Yea right !!!!!
Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

jessmo112

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 Jan 2022, 18:20

Can someone explain the concept of piddle packs to me?
Is it invasive like a catheter? Or just a cup?
It sounds unpleasant either way. How do you stop the piddle from getting all over? After looming it up I've discovered that girls have a piddle pack vac.

Ohh boy, I'm ashamed that I asked.

https://youtu.be/2jxXCypvf3w

No solution for poop I see. I guess there is no strong coffee before a long flight.

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post16 Jan 2022, 19:20

I would think you'd of had that strong coffee reaction before donning a flight suit.

Return to General F-16 forum