What's the F-35Bs primary maritime strike weapon?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

jessmo112

Unread post22 Jul 2021, 01:07

I couldn't help notice that the Marines are practicing blowing things up. But I though for years the armchair general consensus was that jams wouldn't get the job done. In fact I thought block 4 was the true maritime strike configuration.
Can someone smarter than me clarify?
Are they using laser Jdam?
Or some other GBU?

As well as 3rd MAW F/A-18C Hornets and F-35B Lighting IIs flying a long-range maritime strike against a simulated enemy warship, the UH-1Y was also seen in the context of offensive maritime operations, in this case, its crew members helping to prosecute a submarine contact by dropping sonobuoys by hand out of the cabin door.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... submarines

jessmo112

Unread post22 Jul 2021, 02:52

This thread is in the wrong place.
Can a mod move it?

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: 1

Unread post22 Jul 2021, 21:47

Harriers use JDAMs, betting its the same.
Choose Crews

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Jul 2021, 13:05

JSM?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post27 Jul 2021, 03:46

Against what target? Civil shipping blockade? JDAM may need dedicated EW support (Growler) to get bombs on warships. Would F-35A/B/C, EW capabilities be enough to get bombs to FFGs? What tactics can be used to overcome EO CIWS even if radar-guided weapons can be disabled? Sneaky JDAM-ER from beyond detection range plus jam may work. I like the idea of dropping BLU109 with JDAM-ER kit through keel, popping it for a Mk48 cavity-implosion type effect. Like also the idea of small SDB size stealthy glide bomb with highly penetrating tungsten-phosphorous frag ball. Lots of fires instantly pop-up everywhere inside a large section of the hull in almost every compartment. They can seal compartments of course, but the moment oxygen re-enters it can re-ignite if there's phosphorus left. Seems like a good way to degrade a ship for a coup-de-grâce with a larger cheaper bomb under the keel.

JSM is ~$2.2 million USD each. And LRASM is ~$3.95 million each.

Nice if you could disable warships with a couple of very sneaky SDB incendiaries, then some EW and a keel-killer, for less than $400K to sink.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

dragracingmaniac

Unread post27 Jul 2021, 07:38

Nukes... I vote nukes! :P

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post31 Jul 2021, 20:12

Against frigates/destroyers/cruisers/etc.... the JSM should be the primary anti-ship weapon. Smaller vessels can probably be dealt with GBU-53s, etc....

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post01 Aug 2021, 03:29

SDB/SPEAR3 can achieve mission kills against the larger vessels by taking out the fire control radars/directors. Taking out the cats onboard the CVs does the same thing. Once those are taken out any heavier load munition can start the sinking.

Clusters like JSOW may be more effective at taking out FCRs but Some might think that if one can hit, one might as well sink. That means unitary warheads. The JSOW can fit the A/C internally and the B will carry 4 C-1s externally (pg 112 of the USMC aviation plan). JSOW C-1 is a heavier punch than the JSM. That's a lot cost option, much cheaper than JSM (that's not in the USMC plan).

https://raytheon.mediaroom.com/2016-07- ... Navy-fleet

Too bad USN traded JSOW-ER development for the JASSM-ER.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... et-request

Noted that JSOW-ER was in the USMC plan. That would be a loss because of the range that would bring.

Return to General F-16 forum