Celebrity Backseaters

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post05 May 2010, 19:01

An archive photo.
Attachments
070221-F-9244N-013.jpg
Dr. Richard Carmona, the 17th Surgeon General of the United States, poses for the camera before his orientation flight with Col. Carl Thomae, vice commander of the 162nd FW, Arizona ANG on February. 21, 2007. [USAF photo by MSgt. David Neve]
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

Siesta

Unread post05 May 2010, 19:58

JakeMelampy wrote:Is that a Weapons School patch on his shoulder??

I'm surprised you asked that since you been to Nellis - its the 57th Wing Patch. The FWS patch has the similar bullseye design but says graduate and Weapons School tabs.

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post15 May 2010, 18:37

140th Wing Flies United States Senator Mark Udall.
Attachments
100501-F-3303S-140.jpg
Colorado Senator Mark Udall and Brig. Gen. Trulan Eyre, 140th Wing Commander, pose for a photo prior to takeoff on Saturday, 1 May. [USAF photo by TSgt. Wolfram M. Stumpf]
Asif Shamim

kori

Unread post18 May 2010, 20:31

Add Chris Angel to the list, he got a ride from the T-birds.
Also Tom is a genuinely nice guy (from what i can see).

I think a lot of it plays into his scientology beliefs, he believes
he needs to help everyone he can.

And if theres 1 thing all Americans can agree on, its supporting our troops,
so I guess it would be kind of a dick move for Tom to just forget about it, ya know?

Although i woulda hit him up for an entertainment center, BUT thats just me ;]
I'm safer up here, then you are down there.

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post18 May 2010, 23:04

NHRA Drag Racing wrote:Brown takes 'ride of his life' in F-16 with famed Thunderbirds
Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Antron Brown is accustomed to speed. The former college track star and 24-time NHRA winner has built a career around forward momentum. Whether on two or four wheels, Brown has made his name known as one of the more successful drivers in NHRA Drag Racing.

On Tuesday, April 20, Brown traded his 7,000-horsepower Don Schumacher Racing-prepared Matco Tools/U.S. Army Top Fuel dragster for a flight suit and a ride in a Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon made famous by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. The former rider of the U.S. Army Pro Stock Motorcycle Suzuki took the ride of his life with Capt. Kristin “Mother” Hubbard, advance pilot/narrator of the No. 8 Thunderbirds F-16.

“It was an incredible experience to fly with the Thunderbirds and Kristin, aka 'Mother,' ” Brown said. “When we took off, it was slower than my dragster, but once we pulled back and went straight up in the air and pulled 6 Gs, I had never felt anything like that in my life. I felt pressure all over my body even wearing the G suit.

“Kristin did an awesome job of flying us and keeping me right and tight during the flight. We flew upside down and did turns and went straight up and all these maneuvers that I couldn’t even imagine. When I was a little kid growing up, I always wanted to race Top Fuel cars and fly a figther jet, and now I can say I’ve done both. I feel very fortunate and want to thank [Tech. Sgt.] Randy Redman for making my dream come true.”

After completing his preflight physical and safety briefing with Hubbard, Capt. and Flight Surgeon Thomas Bowden, and Flight Equipment Technician Tech. Sgt. Sang Lee, the Matco Tools flagship driver and Hubbard took off from Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Brown’s dragster reaches nearly 5 G forces during a 1,000-foot blast; during his ride with Hubbard, the duo hit 9.5 Gs, or the pressure of nearly 10 times the weight of their bodies.

“When we did a 90-degree, banked turn and pulled 9.5 Gs, I did everything in my power to stay conscious,” Brown said. “I did all the proper breathing techniques they taught me, and it worked. No, I didn’t throw up, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was nauseous. It really felt like I did 500 straight situps.

“I would have to say that it was one of the best experiences I’ve done in my life. That’s the closest thing that gives me the same type of rush as racing our DSR Top Fuel dragster. It’s right up there with jumping out of an airplane with the Army’s Golden Knights. I did that a few years back, and that was awesome too.”

Brown, 34, ranks fourth in the 2010 NHRA Top Fuel standings with two No. 1 qualifying positions and three final-round appearances this season. He has 24 wins, eight in Top Fuel and 16 in Pro Stock Motorcycle, and 23 poles. He is the only driver in NHRA history to win races and lead the standings in both Top Fuel and Pro Stock Motorcycle.

“I have a current relationship with the U.S. Army, and a ‘hooah’ to all our Army Strong soldiers,” Brown said. “It’s great to represent the Army and all our current brave active-duty military and retired members of the U.S. Armed Forces. All of us at DSR thank them for everything they do and have done for our great nation. After flying with the Thunderbirds, I have a newfound respect for what they and the Air Force do and the skill and physical attributes it takes to pilot an F-16. And not just the pilots, but the entire 130-person support staff for the Thunderbirds.”

Brown with Capt. Kristin “Mother” Hubbard, advance pilot/narrator of the No. 8 Thunderbirds F-16.

source: http://www.nhra.com/story/2010/5/18/bro ... nderbirds/
Asif Shamim

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post19 May 2010, 01:44

9 point 5 ?

Things have changed.

OL

(Do they have a 9.5 G pin now? Does "rate"-ing the limiter count?)

Gamera

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 May 2010, 17:12

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/ ... ds_052810/

"Hero teacher flies with Thunderbirds"

Posted : Friday May 28, 2010 15:37:01 EDT
By Brian Kalish - Staff writer

A teacher who tackled a suspected gunman outside a suburban Denver school took to the skies with the Thunderbirds on May 23 as part of their Hometown Hero program.

dfischer

Unread post14 Jun 2010, 17:42

While at the 474th at Nellis, Lee Greenwood flew the back seat of the 430th family model and put on an impromptu concert afterwards in the hangar.

Gamera

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post04 Jul 2010, 08:20

http://mytown.asahi.com/areanews/aomori ... 20588.html

2 July 2010:
Mayor of Misawa City, Taneichi Kazumasa, becomes "one-day commander" of Misawa AB, wears 16 kg flight suit, rides in back seat of F-16, but doesn't fly.

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post29 Jul 2010, 16:29

Crew chief TSgt. Kevin Southworth straps in Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson prior to an F-16 orientation flight on July 22, 2010.

The flight was arranged as a way of recognizing the Packers organization for everything they've done for the 115 FW and the men and women of all services. [USAF photo]
Attachments
100722-F-0249B-009.jpg
Crew chief Tech. Sgt. Kevin Southworth straps in Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson prior to an F-16 orientation flight on July 22, 2010. [USAF photo]
100722-F-0249B-008.jpg
Maj. Bart VanRoo answers questions from Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson prior to an F-16 orientation flight on July 22, 2010. [USAF photo]
Asif Shamim

posterboys

Unread post20 Oct 2010, 09:50

Awesome pictures,is that above one Harrison Ford.
postergods(dot)com

Gamera

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Oct 2010, 16:20

http://forum.koreandramas.net/topic/3498/

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007

"I think Jung Sei Jin, aka Seijin-shi here, deserves a thread here."

"Seijin-shi is the only Korean woman who flied with KF-16 fighter aircraft. F-16 assembled in Korea is called KF-16."

http://www.defence.co.kr/bbs/bbs.cgi?db ... &num=16623

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post23 Oct 2010, 19:42

How does letting celebrities, politicians, and sports stars ride in fighter jets support the troops? If we wanna support the troops, how about letting THEM ride in the aircraft. I know there are incentive rides and all that, but I think it's time the TROOPS get to be the VIPs. In my book, they are Very Important People.

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Oct 2010, 21:28

discofishing wrote:How does letting celebrities, politicians, and sports stars ride in fighter jets support the troops? If we wanna support the troops, how about letting THEM ride in the aircraft. I know there are incentive rides and all that, but I think it's time the TROOPS get to be the VIPs. In my book, they are Very Important People.

I'm with ya 100% on that! :thumb: But I can also see some of the reasoning for the civilians getting rides. Certain business leaders can have an impact on programs that support troop morale and welfare. Others may be given rides in return for doing morale trips for deployed forces. The congressional weenies of course get 'em cause they hold the purse strings. The Press Pukes? Welllll...ya gotta have good PR I guess. But I'd put any enlisted troop in a pit before all those people any day so they can see that everyone in the Wing, even the most basic enlisted, has a role in making that jet an effective asset.
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post25 Oct 2010, 03:33

I'm kind of bitter about the whole situation. I spent about 8 years working on Apaches and never once flew in them. My unit was going to start a program that allowed experienced NCOs to do maintenance test flights, but some douche bag general blew that idea out of the water. At least I got as much simulator time as I wanted.
PreviousNext

Return to General F-16 forum