Celebrity Backseaters

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

yakuza

Unread post25 Oct 2010, 15:41

discofishing,with all my respect,you will never have the "weight" of a celebrity/politician,when it comes to defend the military cause on PR matters,and lobby for them on TV,in the senat/congress etc(remember all the TV spots after 9/11)...it´s frustrating for the men in uniform,sure,but the effect on media requires such things.
just like don corleone with the baker :lol:

codeonemagazine

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post26 Oct 2010, 03:21

Since I started this topic many moons ago, send Code One Magazine photos of celebrities that have flown in backseat of F-16 and I will create a gallery on our website once I have ten or so. Go to the website for an email address. Thanks!

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post26 Oct 2010, 05:30

discofishing,with all my respect,you will never have the "weight" of a celebrity/politician,when it comes to defend the military cause on PR matters,and lobby for them on TV,in the senat/congress etc(remember all the TV spots after 9/11)...it´s frustrating for the men in uniform,sure,but the effect on media requires such things.
just like don corleone with the baker

Well, obviously the celebrities/politicians didn't have as much weight as once thought, because the future of American tactical air power rests in aircraft that don't have backseats (ie F-35 and F-22). The PR effort will have to adapt; perhaps it will taken on a more sincere and meaningful approach.

stilesf-35

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post02 Nov 2010, 01:16

MATMACWC wrote:Tom Cruise did indeed get a F-16 from the 36th Fighter Squadron at Osan AB, ROK. The person giving the ride (sts) told Tom that the Fiends needed a new popcorn machine and a few months later a 12,000 dollar popcorn machine showed up thanks to him.....

Shoulda asked him for a couple new planes :)

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 Nov 2010, 01:53

Lee Greenwood got one from the 313th TFS while we were TDY to Zaragoza. 1988 0r 89.
Vipers Fight while Raptors Train.

Gamera

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Nov 2010, 18:41

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=25738&mid=2

PAULA CREAMER SOARS ABOVE SITE OF U.S. WOMEN'S OPEN WIN

After her hard-fought victory at the U.S. Women's Open in July [2010], it was fitting that Paula Creamer's return visit to the Pittsburgh area last week included a celebratory fly by over the site of her first major championship victory in an F-16 fighter jet.

dfischer

Unread post03 Nov 2010, 19:18

maddog2840 wrote:Lee Greenwood got one from the 313th TFS while we were TDY to Zaragoza. 1988 0r 89.

He also got one from the 430th TFS at Nellis in the late 80's. He did an impromptu singing of God Bless The USA afterwards in one of the hangars. Good Show!

tbarlow

Unread post19 Nov 2010, 01:02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1a04JcPUQ

Dont know if this was posted here or not, but here is Jerry Reed talking about his F-16 ride at Misawa. I just wish he could have said what happened at 18,000 feet...

Enjoy

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post19 Nov 2010, 06:32

:lol: Surprised he didn't write a song about it. He was known for doin' that.
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

Scanor

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post26 Nov 2010, 15:41

Not maby a celeberty, but the Norwegian Prime minister got an incentive ride today. 26 nov 2010

He was flown from Rygge AB south of Oslo to Orland AB outside of Trondheim on a a two hour long flight kriss crossing Central Norway mountin regions and coastline.

The pilot Lt Col Hans Ole "Sandy" Sandnes the CO of 338 "Tiger" sqd based at Ørland AB.

The Jet was F-16BM 80-3692 "692" One of the two RNoAF vipers with Tiger decor. Callsign for the flight was a formation of three jets (the other two of wich I don't know the tail/sn of). Formation Callsign was "TigerBlack" , one often used by 338sqd and "692" was nbr 2 in the formation and thus called "TigerBlack 2"

Norwegian press link (Norwegian text)

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/arti ... d=10011967

labrador

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post26 Nov 2010, 22:45

I don't think demonstration flights for heads of state classify as "incentive" rides. Maintainers and crew chiefs get incentive rides as a reward. Heads of state rides others reasons, although I'm sure it was a pleasure for Mr Stoltenberg too.

TreadHead

Unread post13 Dec 2010, 16:45

Those of you in the Chicagoland area will know this one:

Roe Conn, a radio host / comedian on 890 WLS-AM has been up for a spin with the Thunderbirds.

Gamera

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Jan 2011, 05:11

Balad Air Froce Base wrote:Race fans meet legends
by Senior Airman Tong Duong
332nd Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

1/18/2011 - JOINT BASE BALAD, Iraq -- Deep rumbling of engines revving-up shook the ground as Indianapolis 500 winners Mario Andretti, Al Unser Jr. and Johnny Rutherford took up pole positions along the flightline during an Indy 500 Centennial tour Jan. 17.

The drivers were watching a pair of F-16 Viper jets take off while touring the base. The visit was part of a 10-day Armed Forces Entertainment morale tour of U.S. bases in Europe and the Middle East and to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis 500. IZOD IndyCar Series team owner Sarah Fisher, Firestone Indy Lights race winner Martin Plowman and de Ferran Dragon Racing driver Davey Hamilton were part of the group as well.

Mario Andretti, one of the most successful Americans in the history of auto racing, said he appreciates the chance to visit with Airmen.

"It is a privilege to come here and hopefully bring a little cheer from home," Andretti said. "We enforce the fact that America thinks of and appreciates what you are doing."

Andretti is one of two drivers to win races in Formula One, IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship and NASCAR.

After watching the Vipers take flight, Andretti, who's flown in an F-15 Eagle, F-16 Viper and F-111 Aardvark, remarked on the aircraft as an amazing piece of machinery and the closest thing to a race car.

"The race car is strictly a purpose machine and not a derivative of anything," he said. "It (is built to) win races and go as fast as possible, like (the F-16) when it comes back and it's cleaned up with no more (missiles) on the wings, you know it's done some damage out there."

Staff Sgt. Donald Slayton, 332nd Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron F-16 dedicated crew chief deployed from Misawa Air Base, Japan, had the chance to the meet the legendary drivers during the tour.

"I'm a huge fan and have been around racing my whole life," the Gainesville, Fla., native said. "I was dead-set on being here when I found out they were coming. I love racing."

Sergeant Slayton, who convinced a coworker to cover his position at work so he could be at the event, was excited to meet Sarah Fisher, the first woman to stand on the podium during an IndyCar event. She was the third-place finisher in 2000 at the Kentucky Speedway.

"I like to see female drivers giving the guys competition on the tracks, which is kind of awesome," he said.

Fisher retired from racing last year and is the youngest woman to compete in the Indianapolis 500 at age 19.

Before parting to meet and greet with Airmen and race fans at Sustainer Theater, Andretti said he was impressed with the quality of people involved in the military.

"I've said it a thousand times and I will always repeat it. I feel that (servicemembers in the) military are the most noble and professional on the planet, and all of you should be proud of that," he said. "We get thanked a lot for coming over, but it should be the other way around. I thank you for being here, so...godspeed to all of you."

source: http://www.balad.afcent.af.mil/news/sto ... =123238603
Attachments
110117-F-4733F-015.jpg
SrA Christopher Manfredo, 332nd EAMXS F-16 crew chief, shows Al Unser Jr., left, Indy 500 winner, and Terry Angstadt, president of Indy Car Series, the cockpit of an F-16 Viper jet Jan. 17, 2011. [USAF photo by SSgt. Keyonna Fennell]

Gamera

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Feb 2011, 17:39

http://www.nascar.com/news/110210/dearn ... ctions-10/

Elliott, Burton, Labonte remember NASCAR's dark day, share thoughts on life

February 10, 2011 2:39 PM, EST

On Nov. 24, 1987, Elliott was a passenger in an Air Force F-16 when it clipped a Georgia Air National Guard F-16 in the skies over Jefferson County, Ga.
While Elliott and his pilot landed safely at Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta, Ga., the pilot of the F-16 was forced to eject.
The incident left an indelible impression on Elliott, who had been, quite literally, just along for the ride.

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post11 Feb 2011, 22:50

On Nov. 24, 1987, Elliott was a passenger in an Air Force F-16 when it clipped a Georgia Air National Guard F-16 in the skies over Jefferson County, Ga....

That was an F-15 that Elliot's Viper clipped. Typo? Maybe. Did NASCAR fact check before publishing? Hardly. :roll:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A961948260
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?
PreviousNext

Return to General F-16 forum