Vipers for the Philippines

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

zero-one

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Jun 2021, 13:52

Defense insiders in the Philippines seem to have leaked that the Gripen C may has overtaken the F-16V as the fighter of choice for the South East Asian nation.

Though the airforce still stands by it's assesment that the Viper is the more capable platform, it seems that Lockheed has increased the price
for the platform from $1.4 billion for 12 airframes to $1.6, both figures are already above the $1.275 billion approved budget for the program.

More at the jump
http://maxdefense.blogspot.com/2021/06/ ... h.html?m=1

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Jun 2021, 17:00

Salute!

Just wait for the logistic $$$ to catch up, comnsidering the very large market for Viper parts and trained technicians and....

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

block4

Unread post13 Jun 2021, 20:57

Put me in the camp saying the best near-term and medium-term Tactical Air modernization and acquisition plan for AFP and Philippine Air Force going forward is to actually acquire additional units of more advanced FA-50 platform type and continue to upgrade and better equip the existing FA-50PH force structure in operation today. Such a pathway would likely benefit maximal readiness and near-term capabilities / deterrence value, which would arguably be the most critical current day national strategy interest ?

I guess I just feel the whole F-16 vs Gripen vs Mig-35 vs X, Y, Z MRF drama for Philippine Air Force is excessive and an octane-fueled distraction to more prudent cost-effective recapitalization planning over the next few years. imho

Mabuhay Tayo AFP, Pilipinas
Previous

Return to General F-16 forum