AMRAAM model identification

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.

by ruderamronbo » 26 Apr 2021, 02:14

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... p_JjtET6Vo

This story discusses how Vipers flew in the somewhat rare 5 x 1 or 6 x 0 configuration, with all AIM-120C-7s. I commented that the clipped fins showed they were either -Cs or -Ds but ID'ing them as C-7s was "debatable and not operational realistic". The vast majority of C's in the inventory are not C-7s so the chances this unit had enough to load all C-7s is small. I'm pretty sure the model is stenciled on the missile but are there obvious markings (the brown and yellow stripes?) that will identify a C-4 vs a C-7 or a -D ?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Boman » 26 Apr 2021, 06:48

In short - No!

The yellow and brown stripes are in the same place irrespective of AIM-120A/B/C/D. The only difference is the clipped wings of the C/D models. And the clipped wings came about to allow carrige internally in the F-22A.
When you read up on the various differences, it is no wonder as all the differences are on the inside of the missile body. There might be that the nose of the AIM-120B is a little more blunt than on the -C, but otherwise no difference as I see it.
Best regards
Niels

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by 35_aoa » 29 Apr 2021, 06:51

Yeah, the identifying feature amongst C variants is the marking on the missile body itself, i.e. "AIM-120C-5" or whatever it may be. Not much else for an enthusiast to use for identification that I'm aware of.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by edpop » 30 Apr 2021, 21:47

Ground-based air defense
The AMRAAM-Extended Range missile is a new, ground-launched solution that will intercept targets at longer distances and higher altitudes. The AMRAAM-ER missile gets its boost in range from a bigger rocket motor and optimized flight control algorithms.

Designed specifically for ground-based air defense, the AMRAAM-ER missile will be integrated with the NASAMS launcher for increased air defense protection in the medium-range air defense market. NASAMS is owned by 11 countries and has been integrated into the U.S. National Capital Region’s air defense system since 2005. The first AMRAAM-ER missile flight test is expected in the second quarter of 2021, with production deliveries expected in 2022.
Vietnam veteran (70th Combat Engineer Battalion)(AnKhe & Pleiku) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering