Spurts on YouTube - Flying in DCS

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
  • Author

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post29 Jul 2022, 13:18

Had a quick gunfight with Rogue.

https://youtu.be/QHZObJ9Gfxs
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post05 Aug 2022, 14:23

F-14 bomber intercept from the back seat. https://youtu.be/9xDhiRH6uH4
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

viperzerof-2

Unread post05 Aug 2022, 22:58

It’s ok that bomber destroyed your carrier, you didn’t need to land anyway.

jessmo112

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Aug 2022, 23:19

Hey spurts,

I noticed In Dcs that the F-35 may not be modeled correctly. The guy even complains about the F-35 being not very maneuverable, and the radar.
I'm thinking of getting Into dcs.
Are the F-35 mods bad?

Is The US 7th Fleet Vunerable To Chinese Anti-Shi…: https://youtu.be/IArGM0m9Fpk

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Aug 2022, 01:40

Okay, so if you are thinking of getting into DCS then start with official modules, not unofficial mods. the only unofficial mod I am aware of that is full quality is the "Community A-4" and that guy is amazing.

DCS as a simulator has a very old base code, some 20 years old, and the base code was not designed with complex wargaming in mind. as such many features of the F-35 are impossible to model, such as its advanced ECM suite, LPI radars, and EO/DAS. The F-35 mod is a simple reskin/re-code of an F-15C or Su-25 depending on if you are air to air or air to ground and as such the scanning speed and multifunction abilities of an AESA radar are not modeled and neither is the EOTS and HMD (a simple and vastly less capable targeting system is available for the air to ground model).

Flight Modeling is overly simplified and the mod was clearly not made by anyone who ever saw an F-35 demo. It seems more like it was made by APA.

In short, the F-35 mod is terrible and even the RCS has to be manually changed from 0.5 to 0.005 IIRC. The Reapers use it because people always ask them to.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

jessmo112

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 Aug 2022, 03:35

Aww pooo! I'd like to see a proper sequel with all of the modern planes.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Aug 2022, 16:14

You will have to wait 50 years for that. The level of realism proper DCS modules have requires access to previously, and sometimes currently, classified documents. Most of the modern high fidelity modules exists because Air Forces are using DCS as a training sim. F/A-18, AV-8B, Mirage, A-10C, UH-1, and others. So if you fly the F/A-18C Lot 20 in DCS, you are experiencing the same thing a real pilot would for training, both in terms of Flight Model and (vastly more importantly) systems modeling (the F/A-18 was the first module to get any ECM other than barrage jamming and to model interference between ECM and radar). You can really see HOW L16 is used in the F/A-18 and how it impacts your SA. You can see the real JHMCS symbology for AA and AG modes and see the real methods needed to interface between the JHMCS and the Litening Pod.

This level of information will never soon be available for anything more advanced than the F/A-18E Block I. This is also why there are no full fidelity modules for modern Red Air. Russia put a kibosh on exporting the documents needed for a basic Flanker or even a Fulcrum, to say nothing of a Foxhound or Felon.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Aug 2022, 12:14

https://youtu.be/Qc0zbozDXbM

A bit of a long one, but it covers 1vmany tactics, energy maneuvering tactics, nose position tactics, and when to do stupid things in the Tomcat.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

jessmo112

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Aug 2022, 17:48

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:You will have to wait 50 years for that. The level of realism proper DCS modules have requires access to previously, and sometimes currently, classified documents. Most of the modern high fidelity modules exists because Air Forces are using DCS as a training sim. F/A-18, AV-8B, Mirage, A-10C, UH-1, and others. So if you fly the F/A-18C Lot 20 in DCS, you are experiencing the same thing a real pilot would for training, both in terms of Flight Model and (vastly more importantly) systems modeling (the F/A-18 was the first module to get any ECM other than barrage jamming and to model interference between ECM and radar). You can really see HOW L16 is used in the F/A-18 and how it impacts your SA. You can see the real JHMCS symbology for AA and AG modes and see the real methods needed to interface between the JHMCS and the Litening Pod.

This level of information will never soon be available for anything more advanced than the F/A-18E Block I. This is also why there are no full fidelity modules for modern Red Air. Russia put a kibosh on exporting the documents needed for a basic Flanker or even a Fulcrum, to say nothing of a Foxhound or Felon.

They can't just release an updated DCS with higher graphics and the modern planes? We don't need classified F-22, and F-35 info, just approximation.

viperzerof-2

Unread post23 Aug 2022, 19:34

jessmo112 wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:You will have to wait 50 years for that. The level of realism proper DCS modules have requires access to previously, and sometimes currently, classified documents. Most of the modern high fidelity modules exists because Air Forces are using DCS as a training sim. F/A-18, AV-8B, Mirage, A-10C, UH-1, and others. So if you fly the F/A-18C Lot 20 in DCS, you are experiencing the same thing a real pilot would for training, both in terms of Flight Model and (vastly more importantly) systems modeling (the F/A-18 was the first module to get any ECM other than barrage jamming and to model interference between ECM and radar). You can really see HOW L16 is used in the F/A-18 and how it impacts your SA. You can see the real JHMCS symbology for AA and AG modes and see the real methods needed to interface between the JHMCS and the Litening Pod.

They can't just release an updated DCS with higher graphics and the modern planes? We don't need classified F-22, and F-35 info, just approximation.

I doubt you could realistically approximate. Even if you did CDF you would need to know about engine thrust curves, the airfoil and how the fly by wire works. As I understand it the F-22 mod did their best to gather as much public available data as possible and it’s still not much of an approximation.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Aug 2022, 21:11

jessmo112 wrote:

Because that is not the type of simulation DCS aims to be. It is not War Thunder or Ace Combat. DCS is something where a real pilot can sit in the plane and manipulate the cockpit in the manner they really would, run BIT tests, and all the systems work correctly. There are user mods that WT/AC modern stealth jets in, but they use F-15 or Su-25 systems and simplified flight models.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

ricnunes

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 01:22

I would definitely like to see a F-35 being made for DCS!
Regarding its level of realism it doesn't need to be "fully realistic" like for example DCS F/A-18 or DCS A-10. A DCS F-35 with "DCS Flaming Cliffs" level of realism but with clickable cockpit would be more than enough for me and this is IMO well within the scope or feasibility of DCS World.
I believe there's lots of possible workarounds in order to achieve many or even most of the capabilities of the F-35 (and/or other advanced fighter aircraft). For example in order to model an AESA radar an "MSA radar" with a very fast scanning speed (much higher than any existing MSA radar) could be implemented. For DAS a combination of a 360 degree IRST (and DCS models IRSTs) and the capability to look thru the aircraft with termal imaging with the cockpit hidden at the "press of a button" would do the trick. And so on...

IMO the biggest hope for this would be Indiafoxtecho. They developed an excellent F-35 for FS2020 which I purchased and been playing with it alot in FS2020. Looks great and IMO is a ton of fun to fly with. Petty that FS2020 doesn't model military weapons, sensors, etc...
And Indiafoxtecho has been recently developing a MB-339 for DCS so I have my fingers crossed and hope that they may develop a F-35 for DCS in the future.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 02:58

ricnunes wrote:I would definitely like to see a F-35 being made for DCS!
Regarding its level of realism it doesn't need to be "fully realistic" like for example DCS F/A-18 or DCS A-10. A DCS F-35 with "DCS Flaming Cliffs" level of realism but with clickable cockpit would be more than enough for me and this is IMO well within the scope or feasibility of DCS World.

Again, this would be F-35 for DCS in an unofficial Mod, it could never be DCS F-35. That requires the higher system fidelity. Now, the Community A-4 Mod is widely considered the best in the market and to be the equal of any full Module (granted the limited systems helps) so it is possible for a free mod to have to overall quality and feel of a full module. Having flown the DCS Apache I have used "IR through the floor" and it can be a blast. Both DCS Apache and DCS Harrier have two IR systems that can both be modeled/displayed at the same time.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

viperzerof-2

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 03:14

I’d be cool with a realistic EFM just to see how it flys, but I think that’s a while off. As far as I know the only mod attempting to build an realistic EFM is the Su-30 mod and they don’t expect it for a while.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 12:34

viperzerof-2 wrote:I’d be cool with a realistic EFM just to see how it flys, but I think that’s a while off. As far as I know the only mod attempting to build an realistic EFM is the Su-30 mod and they don’t expect it for a while.

A-4, Su-57 (current development), C-130 have EFM. EFMs are not common for mods but they do exist, and if I was to do one for the F-35 I would start with the F/A-18 and have it permanently "paddled"
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic