Top Gun 2

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
  • Author

zero-one

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 09:57

Although the plot is being kept under wraps, it’s been previously reported that Cruise’s character would now be a flight instructor and that the film would explore a world of drone technology, fifth-generation fighters and the end of the era of dog-fighting.

Somehow, I already see where this is going.

Maverick is a legend, but he's also old fashioned. His way of trusting your instincts, going with gut feelings and dog fighting doesn't sit well with the higher ups. It's all about drones and BVR for them.

And for the most part they're right.
But then something happens. All the drones are shot down or disabled and Maverick goes in and wins the day the old fashioned way.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 14:37

zero-one wrote: and Maverick goes in and wins the day the old fashioned way.

Using a gun and flying an A-10. And he'll be shooting at J-20s. While "going supersonic. I'll be there in 30 seconds."
"There I was. . ."

icemaverick

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 15:13

zero-one wrote:Wonder what the adversary would be? They can't get away with another "Mig-28".
Su-27,Su-35, Mig-35, J-11 maybe.

Will it be flown by the Chinese or the Russians? Thats just box office suicide.
So will it be Syrians?
Iranians? That would be strange seeing the F-14, the hero of TopGun 1 as the antagonist of Topgun 2.

What about a rouge Russian or Chinese General with an Ace pilot. Then they'll have some help with the airforce of that country making the secondary protagonist (Iceman) a Russian\Chinese pilot.

They never named the enemy in the first movie so they’ll probably do the same for the new one. They’ll want to sell this movie all over the world so they’ll probably be careful not to offend anyone. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never even see the bad guys’ faces. Having a rogue pilot from China or Russia would imply those countries’ air forces are unstable.

As for the enemy jets, I’m guessing they create a fictional one using CGI.....probably some sinister-looking jet that looks like a souped-up Su-57. The enemy suddenly deploys these super stealth jets in a crisis situation and it’s up to the newly-minted Top Gun grads to defend their fleet. Because it’s stealthy, they will have to use their freshly honed dogfighting skills.

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 15:56

Well, that would be true if its done in an insulting way.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be something where everybody wins.

Personally would love to see the F-35 side by side with other allied aircraft like the Rafale and Typhoon. Maybe the F-35 kills off a rogue drone - owned by the antagonist pariah dictatorship - about to spark WWIII between the Russians and Chinese. Or maybe a pair of their close allies that will draw in both sides. Or maybe its the Chinese and Indians. Either way, both sides have to come out smelling like roses.

KamenRiderBlade

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 16:17

If the F-35C is the star plane, it'll probably have a talking AI named "Goose" who is voiced by the actor who played "Goose" (Anthony Edwards) in the original movie.

zero-one

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 16:19

sferrin wrote:
Using a gun and flying an A-10. And he'll be shooting at J-20s. While "going supersonic. I'll be there in 30 seconds."

Hey this is a movie after all. Realism has to take a back seat in favor of "believable fantasy".
Black Hawk down is one of my all time favorite war movies. but fire fights don't really look like that.

It's a lot of getting to position, taking cover, wait, look around, wait some more, stay in cover while waiting, return fire at what you don't see, then wait again. Not exactly box office material.

So no ones gona make a realistic air combat movie where you shoot at blips on a radar screen and go home, but because this movie is working with the Navy. Hopefully they have some military advisors that will keep them from making an A-10 do a Kulbit.......ehem...Terminator Salvation :bang:

Producers are proly asking them now, whats the most unlikely, but still possible air combat scenario you can think of.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 23:56

zero-one wrote:Wonder what the adversary would be? They can't get away with another "Mig-28".
Su-27,Su-35, Mig-35, J-11 maybe.

Maybe they'll put a Mig-68, since +1 it would "spin" :mrgreen:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Jun 2018, 23:59

zero-one wrote:Somehow, I already see where this is going.

Maverick is a legend, but he's also old fashioned. His way of trusting your instincts, going with gut feelings and dog fighting doesn't sit well with the higher ups. It's all about drones and BVR for them.

And for the most part they're right.
But then something happens. All the drones are shot down or disabled and Maverick goes in and wins the day the old fashioned way.

What you say above makes good sense to me - Afterall (and like in many discussion we had and have over the F-35 section of the forum) the F-35C can still be perfectly used in an "old fashioned" air combat/dogfight :wink:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Jun 2018, 05:11

I'm thinking the drones have to use AI and the hero protagonist has to elicit superhuman traits that thwart the AI.

guy@rdaf.dk

Unread post03 Jun 2018, 20:44

I am pretty sure this is what Mav is thinking...

I wish I flew the Viper 1.png
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Jun 2018, 21:07

madrat wrote:I'm thinking the drones have to use AI and the hero protagonist has to elicit superhuman traits that thwart the AI.

They tried that, remember Stealth

juretrn

Unread post03 Jun 2018, 21:10

geforcerfx wrote: Stealth

More like Boring...
Russia stronk

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post04 Jun 2018, 01:27

geforcerfx wrote:
madrat wrote:I'm thinking the drones have to use AI and the hero protagonist has to elicit superhuman traits that thwart the AI.

They tried that, remember Stealth

That movie was barely watchable except for the woman. Guess I'm just not an SJW type of fan. I'd rather watch an old fashioned spaghetti western. Realize when I say outsmart the AI you're technically working around its strengths and focusing on its weaknesses.

garrya

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post04 Jun 2018, 13:56

juretrn wrote:
geforcerfx wrote: Stealth

More like Boring...

Whatttt? I love that movie. The dogfight look incredible and the CGI aged pretty well

Tiger05

Unread post04 Jun 2018, 14:46

Meh. The real star of 'Top Gun' was the F-14, not Tom Cruise. A sequel without the Tomcat is pretty pointless to me. Instead it seems the rather boring and underwhelming Subpar Hornet will be the featured aircraft. Yuck. Sorry but the F/A-18 (any versions) simply doesnt have the mystique and presence the Tomcat has.

And why does a sequel even need to made? Too much time has passed and Tom Cruise is now in his mid-fifties... a bit old to still play a fighter jock. Last but not least, i have zero faith in Hollywood's ability to produce a decent sequel that will live up to its predecessor. Expect a CGI crapfest, nonsensical plot and full of political correcteness. No thanks. Sorry for the negativity but i am just being realistic. :|
PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic