416th Flight Test Squadron (USAF AFMC)

 

416 FLTS (USAF AFMC)
Status:
Active
Version: F-16A/B/C/D block 20/25/30/40/42/50/52
Role:Testing
Tailband: Blue & White
Motto: The Best Test in the West
Badge: N/A

Sideways profile for the 416th FLTS in 2010 with unit markings on the tail.

F-16 History

The 416th started as a bomber squadron from the start of WWII flying the venerable B-17 ‘Flying Fortress’. In 1992 the 416th was reactivated after an inactivity of 43 years. The unit inherited the role of the 6516th TS that was also based at Edwards AFB. As the 6516th, the 416th was tasked with testing different weapon systems and specialized equipment on the F-16 and therefore a number of different blocks were in the inventory, ranging from the early block 1 versions over the block 15 ADF to the later advanced block 50 versions and everything in between. This setup might be seen as a logistical nightmare, but it did provide the squadron a valuable asset in conducting the mission it was set out to perform.

Weapons testing forms only a small part of the unit’s task. Mostly any weapons testing is conducted together with the Eglin AFB based testing squadrons. Some F-16s are painted in a regular gray USAF scheme for the purpose of weapons testing. But more exotic colour schemes can be spotted on the Edwards tarmac amongst the resident F-16s. Mostly they are the famous white birds with the red tails and ventral fins. These aircraft are very often used as so-called chase planes for other aircrafts test programs. Although the intention of the use of the aircraft does not always predestine the aircraft to that roll due to aircraft availability.

A variety of 416th FLTS F-16s are used to chase F-22s and F-35s on regular bases. Therefore these aircraft are also relocated to other airbases all over the country, mostly going to Eglin AFB for testing assistance or to Fort Worth JRB for assistance to the Lockheed F-35 program.


USAF F-16AM #80-0584 from the 416th FTS is flying over Edwards AFB. This is the only MLU F-16 in service with the USAF. [USAF photo]

Another role these aircraft are often used for is test pilot training. The 416th FLTS is the only USAF unit to have the permission to train fully qualified test pilots for other USAF programs. Pilots are selected on individual bases and personal skills being able to perform such a demanding task.

In the 1990’s the 416th helped in the development of the MLU upgrade package for older (mainly European NATO countries’) F-16A/B models. The USAF eventually didn’t get involved in the production process but did provide test aircraft #80-584 for this purpose. It is still flying with the squadron until this day to test further enhancement packages for both MLU Vipers as for the USAF CCIP program (update packages are mainly the same).

Other residents that can be seen with the 416th FLTS are foreign birds. These airframes include the following F-16s:

These airframes mostly reside with the 416th FLTS for flight testing after their initial delivery to a customer. With many F-16 orders come a certain weapons and/or software setup that sometimes need more testing even after the first aircraft are already delivered. This advanced testing is solely conducted by the squadron.

To really show the diversity of the squadron also other tests are conducted at Edwards AFB. Sometimes you can spot airframes that are completely in white to test radar sets or to conduct anechoic testing. Edwards AFB houses the Benefield Anechoic Facility which is the largest anechoic chamber in the world. Many tests are conducted there as well including F-16 airframes.

In a rather unusual but beneficial move during early 2009, the squadron deployed to Nellis AFB, Nevada where the squadron participated in a Red Flag exercise. This was the first of this type of deployment for any Air Force Material Command unit. Red Flag 09-2 ran from January 26 to February 6, 2009. Reason behind the deployment was to perform some operational testing for the latest operating system M5.1+ software which is specific for the F-16. The squadron took five aircraft all equipped with this latest software and in the end flew 54 sorties.

The success of the first deployment for Red Flag was such that another was organized for deployment from January 23 to February 4, 2012. A very similar deployment, this time to test software for the 6.1+ operating system. The new software allows several improvements of which the ability to carry the Small Diameter Bomb. This will allow the F-16 to carry more numerically and deliver this munitions from father away. Although primary deployed to test, the 416th was also a participant with one pilot taking top SEAD pilot.


USAF F-16D block 50 #90-0835 from the 416th FLTS hangs in the Benefield Anechoic Facility to undergo testing at Edwards AFB on August 19th, 2004. The BAF is the largest anechoic facility in the world. [USAF photo]

Aircraft Markings History

1992 - present

The tail consists of a blue tailband in which white 'X' signs are shown. The Air Force Material Command patch is right under this tailband. The 'ED' (for Edwards) tailcode is in the center of the tail with te serial beneath it. Sometimes you see derivative schemes from this standard lacking the tailband and AFMC patch - mostly on foreign aircraft.

1992 - present

A common derivative of the standard scheme is the red tailscheme. The tailband, AFMC patch and other stenciling is applied in a high-viz full colour scheme.

1992 - present

A very unique derivative of the standard scheme is the all white scheme with also all the stenciling applied in a full colour lay-out. These aircraft are often nicknamed lab rats.


Unit History

  • 1942: Activation of the squadron in McDill, Florida (as 26 RS)
  • 1942: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (part of 88 BG)
  • 1942: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (redesignated 416 BS)
  • 1942: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Pendleton Field, Oregon)
  • 1942: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Gowen Field, Idaho)
  • 1942: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Walla Walla, Washington)
  • 1942: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Sioux City AAB, Iowa)
  • 1943: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Navarin [Alg.])
  • 1943: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Oudna [Tun.])
  • 1943: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Tortella Field [It.])
  • 1945: B-17E 'Flying Fortress' (Marcianise [It.])
  • 1945: Disbanded
  • 1947: Activation of the squadron in Robins, Georgia
  • 1947: B-29 'Superfortress' (part of 99 BG)
  • 1949: Disbanded
  • 1992: Activation of the squadron in Edwards, California
  • 1992: F-16A/B/C/D 'Fighting Falcon' (part of 412 TW)
  • 1993: F-16A/B/C/D 'Fighting Falcon' (part of 412 OG)

F-16 Airframe Inventory

Photos

Errors and Omissions



Note: Errors and omissions in the above text can be added here. Please note: your comments will be displayed immediately on this page.

If you wish to send a private comment to the webmasters, please use the Contact Us link.