May 19, 2008 (by Asif Shamim) - Last week the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) had notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Romania of F-16C/D Block 50/52 aircraft and associated equipment.
The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $4.5 billion.
The Government of Romania has requested a possible sale of:
Major Defense Equipment (MDE)
- 24 F-16C/D Block 50/52 aircraft with either the F100-PW-229 or
- F110-GE-129 Increased Performance Engines (IPE) and APG 68(V)9 radars;
- Refurbishment and upgrades of 24 F-16C/D block 25 aircraft being provided as Excess Defense Articles with the F100-PW-220 Increased Performance Engines (IPE) and APG-68(V)1 radars;
- 4 F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 IPE spare engines;
- 5 F100-PW-220 IPE spare engines;
- 4 APG-68(V)9 spare radar sets;
- 60 LAU-129/A Launchers; 30 LAU-117 Launchers;
- 6 Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems;
- 4 AN/ARC-238 Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio Systems (SINCGARS) with HAVE QUICK I/II;
- 24 Conformal Fuel Tanks (pairs);
- 4 Link-16 Multifunctional Information Distribution System-Low Volume Terminals;
- 2 Link-16 Ground Stations;
- 4 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Embedded GPS/ Inertial Navigation Systems (INS);
- 12 AN/AAQ-33 SNIPER or AN/AAQ-28 LITENING Targeting Pods;
- 4 Tactical Air Reconnaissance Systems or DB-110 Reconnaissance Pods (RECCE);
- 4 AN/APX-113 Advanced Identification Friend or Foe (AIFF) Systems;
- 28 AN/ALQ-213 Electronic Warfare Management Systems;
- 28 AN/ALQ- 211 Advanced Integrated Defensive Electronic Warfare Suite (AIDEWS); or
- AN/ALQ-187 Advanced Countermeasures Electronic Systems (ACES), or AN/ALQ-178 Self-Protection Electronic Warfare Suites (SPEWS)
Also included: support equipment, software development & integration, tanker support, ferry services, CAD/PAD, repair and return, modification kits, spares and repair parts, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, U.S. Government and contractor technical, engineering, and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support.
Site Notes: The potential sale is based on Lockheed Martin coming top of a run-off competition where other sellers such as the Eurofighter Typhoon & Swedens JAS-39 Gripen will be taking part. Romania has been pondering the purchase of F-16s for close to a decade.