F-35 chief Bogdan to execute, not cheerlead - Avalon AirShow

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 27 Feb 2013, 09:11

F-35 chief Bogdan to execute, not cheerlead by australianaviation.com.au February 27 2013

http://australianaviation.com.au/2013/0 ... cheerlead/

"New program executive officer for the US Department of Defense’s F-35 program, Lieutenant General Chris Bogdan has told Avalon Airshow media that the aircraft’s development program should be judged on where it is heading rather than where it has been.

“The first point I’d like to make overall is: don’t expect me to be a cheerleader for the F-35 program. That’s not my job. My job is to execute this program. If I start becoming an advocate or a zealot for this program, I lose my credibility,” he said.

“One of the biggest problems I have is an awful lot of people with opinions on this program and not a lot of people with the facts. And those opinions are based on what I would call the tragic history of this program. This program is getting better and is better than what it was a few years ago.”

Outlining a range of past problems, Lt Gen Bogdan said it was easy to see how and why the program’s past led many people to be cynical. “Since we rebaselined in 2010-2011, this is a different program and it is getting better. It is not getting better nearly as fast as I would like it to, but … since 2011, we have fundamentally met every milestone. We are stable and on-track to meet that new plan.”

Lt Gen Bogdan said that despite the problems experienced in the past, he was confident in the ability to deliver a more advanced, survivable jet to the RAAF and other partner nations.

“Relative to the schedule, if the plan which Australia intends on moving forward with stays to IOC in 2020 with the [initial warfighting capability software Block] 3i, I will tell you that Australia doesn’t have much to worry about,” he said.

“Why? Because in 2015 I have to deliver the same capability to the US Marine Corp. Eight months later I have to deliver the same capability to Italy in 2016, then in the middle of 2017 I have to deliver the same capability to the Israelis. Then there will be a three year wait until we deliver to the Australians.”

“So even if I screw this up royally – and I do not intend to do that – I’m pretty sure I’ll meet Australia’s 2020 date.”

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 27 Feb 2013, 11:14

US supremo says JSF on schedule 27 Feb 2013 Max Blenkin, AAP Defence Correspondent

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breakin ... public_rss

"THE senior US military officer in charge of the controversial Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program says Australia will receive JSF aircraft on schedule at a cost of about $US90 million ($A88.42 million) each.

Lieutenant General Chris Bogdan said Australia's plan was to declare initial operational capability with 12 JSFs in 2020....

...Lt Gen Bogdan said by 2020 a JSF would cost about $US90 million per airplane in 2020 dollars.

"Sixty seven million (dollars) is the number you keep hearing about. Guess what - that's the cost of the airplane back in like 2004 or 2003. Who cares about that? I want to know what it costs the day I buy it not what I could have bought it for in 2001," he said."
&
"...Lt Gen Bogdan said he was no cheerleader for JSF which had experienced significant problems.

But he said since this program was reconfigured in 2010-11, adding $US13 billion additional funds and another three years, it's much improved...."

Otherwise a repeat of first post but youse can check by going to the URL.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 27 Feb 2013, 11:22

Pentagon F-35 program chief lashes Lockheed, Pratt 27 Feb 2013 By Jane Wardell

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ ... ss+News%29

"
Reuters) - The Pentagon program chief for the F-35 warplane slammed its commercial partners Lockheed Martin (LMT.N) and Pratt & Whitney on Wednesday, accusing them of trying to "squeeze every nickel" out of the U.S. government and failing to see the long-term benefits of the project.

U.S. Lieutenant-General Christopher Bogdan made the comments during a visit to Australia, where he has sought to convince lawmakers and generals to stick to a plan to buy 100 of the jets, an exercise complicated by the second grounding of the plane this year and looming U.S. defense cuts..."

MUCH much more at the JUMP.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 02 Mar 2013, 22:23

I had the opportunity to meet directly with Lt Gen Bogdan this week and also listened to some of the speeches at the Avalon Airshow. I find him highly impressive and a straight talker. A few points he made both individually and in his speeches that doesn't seem to make it to the news stories:

* He is just as critical/demanding of his own JPO staff as he is of LM, P&W or other industry, if not more so;
* He intends to have things change. As a start he has demanded that the contracting side happens much faster. Instead of the 14mths required to negotiate LRIP5, he has said that LRIP6&7 will be finalised by the end of the US Summer and that LRIP8 will be done so by the end of this calendar year. More importantly, this is already on track to happen;
* He also said that he is not concerned by technical issues - these are being resolved;
* Finally, he made the categoric statement that the F-35 is not going away; it is not going to be cancelled and it has strong support in both the political and military sides of all countries involved, especially the USA (despite what may be said in the media)

All up, I think Lt Gen Bogdan is the right man for the F-35 and he will ensure it is delivered.