MCID versus NSI inlets

Always wondered why the F-16 has a tailhook, or how big a bigmouth F-16's mouth really is ? Find it out here !
  • Author

falcon-watcher

Unread post06 Feb 2007, 21:09

I'm sure this info exists somewhere on the site but I couldn't find it and figured somebody knows it almost off the top of their head.

Regarding the Viper's intake:
there seem to be two versions -- a standard (NSI) and wide-mouth (MCID)
it is correct that GE engines use the MCID and Pratt use the NSI?

also, and this is what I was looking for, what are the approximate dimensions of the two versions (top-to-bottom and side-to-side of opening)?

thanks

habu2

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Feb 2007, 00:13

I have posted side-by-side pics of the two inlets in another (very old) thread in this forum, I have no idea which one though.
Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Feb 2007, 14:13

falcon-watcher wrote:...it is correct that GE engines use the MCID and Pratt use the NSI?

Some early GE powered Block 30s had the Small Mouth inlets. But over time pretty much all jets scheduled for the GE motor, from mid Block 30 thru Block 60, got the Big Mouth inlet to capitalize on the GE's true potential. Don't think the P/W-powered jets ever had Big Mouth (never needed it AFAIK).
Last edited by LinkF16SimDude on 07 Feb 2007, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

falcon-watcher

Unread post07 Feb 2007, 14:30

Does anyone have more info on the dimensions?

I found one set of dimensions:

4' 9" side-to-side
1' 8" top-to-bottom

which version do you think this one is and how different is the other version?

thanks

idesof

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Feb 2007, 15:03

falcon-watcher wrote:Does anyone have more info on the dimensions?

I found one set of dimensions:

4' 9" side-to-side
1' 8" top-to-bottom

which version do you think this one is and how different is the other version?

thanks

Careful, you may be providing The Enemy with information he/she/it could use against us...

Question is, can a Viper swallow a human, as happened at least once with both the A-7 and A-6? I'm not talking about a baby (who wouldn't be on the flightline anyway) but about, say, an unwitting pilot or crew chief.

habu2

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Feb 2007, 17:53

let's see if this works:

if not then go to this thread and scroll down

Purplehaze

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post07 Feb 2007, 18:54

Question is, can a Viper swallow a human, as happened at least once with both the A-7 and A-6? I'm not talking about a baby (who wouldn't be on the flightline anyway) but about, say, an unwitting pilot or crew chief.

Yes and they have!

falcon-watcher

Unread post08 Feb 2007, 17:27

thanks for the responses so far

I still don't have a definitive answer.

Could someone please actually measure the inlet from side-to-side?
I have not been able to find it in any lit.

thanks

habu2

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post08 Feb 2007, 19:33

Do you mind explaining why you need actual measurements of the intakes?

FWIW I'm pretty sure only the width changes, height of the two inlet styles should be the same.

falcon-watcher

Unread post08 Feb 2007, 19:58

my reasons are really not relevant here but if you must know...
I volunteer for a museum and we might obtain some scrap parts including an inlet leading edge. I'm trying to do some due diligence on this part in case we actually acquire it.

idesof

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Feb 2007, 00:02

falcon-watcher wrote:my reasons are really not relevant here but if you must know...
I volunteer for a museum and we might obtain some scrap parts including an inlet leading edge. I'm trying to do some due diligence on this part in case we actually acquire it.

Yeah, right. You are Russian spy. All your base are belong to us...

habu2

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Feb 2007, 01:20

The difference in shape is quite obvious, you can see that in the photo I posted. You don't need actual measurements to determine which inlet leading edge you are looking at. If you're still not sure, ask your source to provide photos (and dimensions!) as part of your due diligence and post them here. We can then tell you what inlet you are obtaining.

I don't mean to come off as rude but not all questions asked in this forum are always what they present themselves as. Besides, if the particular jet you are getting parts from has been through the Have Glass program ( and I'm pretty sure all MCIDs have been) then that inlet lip shouldn't be in a scrap pile. ;)

Raptor_One

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post09 Feb 2007, 02:10

I'm sure you can find the inlet dimensions by doing a dilligent Google search or by searching some relevant technical report servers (like NASA's NTRS). I'm actually not sure why people ask certain questions on forums like these when it's more than likely the information is already freely available somewhere online. Internet forums (even those on F-16.net) usually aren't the best sources for specific information on the F-16. If you can't find the information using Google or via free tech report servers, it's unlikely you'll get the info here.

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post09 Feb 2007, 04:38

It's unlikely, because so many on this site who work or worked around the jet are apprehensive about giving any information to complete strangers over an internet chat board. But he's been around the board long enough to know this, and he's not asking a "nuke-u-ler weppins" kind of question.

Falcon-Watcher, the best advice I could give you would be one that would take you straight to the source. Other internet sites can be useless mazes which give you a link, and then send you to pop up or misinformation hell.

What I would recommend, would be to contact a tech rep from Lockheed Martin, AMARC, or even the National Museum of the USAF. All are excellent sources of information, and should be willing to work with you, if you are doing a museum display.

Henrik

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post09 Feb 2007, 11:37

Hello all,

And for the "serial freaks" F-16C Block-30C [serial]86-0261[/serial] is the last Block-30 for the USAF with the "Small Inlet" and F-16C Block-30D [serial]86-0262[/serial] is the first with the "Big Inlet". #262 is also a MIG-killer.

For the two-seaters F-16D Block-30C [serial]86-0043[/serial] is the last for the USAF with the "Small Inlet" and F-16D Block-30D [serial]86-0044[/serial] is the first with the "Big Inlet".

Greetings,

Henrik.
Next

Return to F-16 Design & Construction