Air National Guard or Reserve - Which is Better?

Looking to change career fields or contemplating to request a new assignment? Here's where you find out if the grass really is greener on the other side...
  • Author

shadowruse

Unread post17 Nov 2006, 02:09

Hey guys,

looking for your opinions on which is a better option, Guard or Reserve. I am looking at heading back east to McEntire for Guard or Shaw, now, for Reserve. Pros? Cons? I got too much experience and dedication NOT to be serving. So I gotta get back in before it kills me. Thanks guys you're the best.
Sie Williams
F-16 CC
Shaw 91-94
Osan 94-95
Nellis 95-97

falconfixer860261

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post17 Nov 2006, 13:35

Guard is much more relaxed and laid back plus you get 100% college tuition in many states. AFRES is a little more stringent and a little more like active duty than the ANG. ANG is slot controlled for promotions from E-6 up and I believe AFRES doesn't start slot controlling until E-7. So you can make rank a little faster in AFRES. If you absolutely loved active duty then Shaw might be the way to go since it's also on active duty base. If you want to avoid most of the irritation that comes with AD then the ANG might be the way to go. I've got 27+ years in AD and ANG plus a lot of time TDY with AFRES. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my phone # if you'd like to talk in more detail.

falconfxr_ee

Unread post17 Nov 2006, 19:52

I am currently Reserve and I think it has better promotion chances as opposed to ANG other than that they seem the same from what I see and hear from others.
falconfxr_ee
1987-Present
Moody,Hahn.King Salmon, Luke, Kirtland, Luke Reserve, L3 Vertex (Iraq)

shadowruse

Unread post18 Nov 2006, 02:35

Also its kinda hard as I am a single dad of two boys ages 4 and 9. So anyone doin the guard/reserve single parent role gimme yer wisdom lol.
Sie Williams
F-16 CC
Shaw 91-94
Osan 94-95
Nellis 95-97

falconfixer860261

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Nov 2006, 15:17

It will be easier to balance than active duty from that standpoint. Fewer TDY's and contigency ops are usually only 45 days at the most. Talk to some of the flightline folks at both bases - they will be happy to give you a better feel for what the past five years have been like from a deployment/summer camp point of view.

Elliboom

Unread post20 Nov 2006, 20:06

For me the guard was the way to go since you have very little interaction with the active duty, unless you are on a contingency deployment. And I ususally find that after spending a couple of weeks around an active duty operation I remember why I am in the guard now and not on active duty. But remember this all comes from the AMC side of the house, maybe the ACC side it different, but it's nice in the guard to be able to work on your own airplanes and fly your own airplanes and not have to share them with the active duty.

f16cctul

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post23 Nov 2006, 10:40

Guard. Plain and simple. I've been in the guard but I am currently reserve and aside from the accomidations, the guard is superior. I can't figure out why. The bombs still get delivered on target, though. :cheers:
f16cctul

Weasel_Keeper

Unread post24 Nov 2006, 22:13

ANG WAS a lot more seperate than AD USAF a few years ago...I suppose it depends on your unit and/or mission. Since my unit is part of a "normal" AEF rotation schedule and we deploy with AD...we're becoming alot more like AD. Quite a few traditional Guard guys are whining about it, but I was prior AD and it doesn't bother me that much (or other prior ADs). :2c:
Cave Putorium!
SoWW #2485

ATC

Unread post15 Dec 2006, 05:05

ANG is much better.
Lord bless Charlie Mops

etagesen

Unread post16 Mar 2007, 02:13

As a weekender? The Guard wins....as a full time technician? The Reserves...much better benefits and protection.

shadowruse

Unread post16 Mar 2007, 02:46

Ok so whats the diff in benefits between gaurd and reserve? And what do you mean by protection?
Sie Williams
F-16 CC
Shaw 91-94
Osan 94-95
Nellis 95-97

etagesen

Unread post16 Mar 2007, 03:56

shadowruse wrote:Ok so whats the diff in benefits between gaurd and reserve? And what do you mean by protection?

Guard units are "Accepted Service" and Reserves are "Competetive Service". That means the Guard adn hire you and fire you right there on the spot. Competetive Civil Service is like the Civil Service system that your postmen and FAA employees are under. Much harder to get fired from, and when there are cut backs, there is a more fairer process by which they "bump" people by seniority and veterans preferance.
Everything that happens to you personnel-wise in the Reserves is there for you to see on the Air Force Civilian Personnel Website. You can change your medical benefits, increase or decrease you retirement...all online from your home. With the Guard, it's all still done by paperwork, and that's time consuming, and takes weeks for changes to become effective.
I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not. Maybe other can chime in.
I'm not knocking the Guard...I'm am actually a full time Guard technician. But for the past 16 years, I've been a full time Reserve Technician...and I regret getting out of that system..I should have stayed competetive service. I didn't know, and no one could really explain it to me when I was swapping.

shadowruse

Unread post02 May 2009, 01:56

Sounds like an even list or 'pros' and 'cons' to both sides on this. Lots to consider in joining either.
Sie Williams
F-16 CC
Shaw 91-94
Osan 94-95
Nellis 95-97

chickenlegs

Unread post29 May 2009, 02:59

Depends on the unit plain and simple. As far a firing right on the spot. Not likely. In 21 years I never saw that happen in such an acute manner. The only time someone was forced to leave.....failed a drug test, or criminal charges.. Six years as a flightline supervisor not in my branch or anywhere within my Group. Regarding being laid back.....again....depends on the unit (Southwest Asia 9x's since 1993 and not to mention Korea, Australia, Hawaii, Denmark, Curacao x2, Cold Lake, and on and on and on) One squadron with 18 F-16's. The distinct advantage of being in the Guard or Reserves is that you know your not going to have to PCS anywhere. There's good with the bad. Yes, you know your jets and you get to have long term relationships with the people you work with. I've been Active but mostly Guard and I much preferred the Guard. Being around certain active members did make me remember why I got out. Wasn't the lower ranking folks that bothered me as it was more the more arrogant senior enlisted and officers (of course not all of them). Of well.
Just my two cents
Chickenlegs
F-4E, T-38, A-7D, F-16C Crew Chief, QA, & Other

gbu24loader

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post29 May 2009, 04:23

At my guard unit the "Fire on the spot" is 30 days notice after the termination decision. Not too many companies give you that if you give them a reason to can you. Oh and I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening for that matter. There are definately pro and cons to both. I think you would be fine going either way.
Next

Return to Careers & Assignments