Pylons for TER on 3/7 or 4/6 - Old and New

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.
  • Author

Iron_Eagle

Unread post10 Jul 2006, 14:59

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering about this, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned a lot: why has the USAF changed the pylon (name=?) that carries the TER on station 3/7 or sometimes 4/6? According to photograph patterns, this happened roughly around 1990, at around the same time as the renaming of TAC to ACC. The two pylons look similar. Speaking of this: the TER was also switched to the current version, but I believe this is because the newer version is more aerodynamic.

Please share your comments and expertise.

Yang
Anytime - Anywhere

ViperDude

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 13:56

The weapon pylon for station 3&7 or 4&6 is the same. However some are standard and some have smart weapon capability. Physically looking at them from the outside you see no difference.

Cheers,

ViperDude

Henrik

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 14:51

Hi Iron Eagle,

I hope You are fine!! There is also the PIDS pylons - Pylon Integrated Dispenser System - for an extra set of three chaff-dispensers per pylon. Originally developed for the Royal Danish Air Force this system now flies with several European F-16 users, in addition to the US ANG and AFRC.

Currently there is the PIDS(U) pylon developed for the carriage of the J-series weapons. If You take a close look You will see the previously deployed F-16 units to Balad AB and other "in theater" bases man times carry the TER/GBU-12/PIDS combo and the GBU-31 on the standard pylon.

Greetings,

Henrik.

Iron_Eagle

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 16:12

Thanks guys, and sorry that I didn't provide pictures to clarify the first time. This is the pylon I'm talking about (station 3):
Attachments
abm.jpg
Last edited by Iron_Eagle on 11 Jul 2006, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.
Anytime - Anywhere

Iron_Eagle

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 16:13

Compared to this old one (station 7). One can definitely see the similarity though.

http://www.sharpshooter-maj.com/Images/ ... /156fw.jpg

Hey Henrik, I'm doing great... you? How's your model coming along? :)
Anytime - Anywhere

AmmoCapt

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 16:47

What you have pictured for the newer pylon is a Block-50 Wing Weapons Pylon. The biggest cosmetic difference between it and the older pylon you showed is that there is a faring over the sway braces.

Funny side story about that particular pylon you have in the pic with 88-413, I smashed my thumb pretty good working on the MAU-12 that is inside the pylon, with the SSgt who was assigned to doing the periodic inspection.

Anyhow, the Block-50 pylons are a recent upgrade (last 3 years) over the Block-40 pylon and so on. The -50 has smart weapon capability, so the JASSM, JDAM WCMD and even the entire Laser Guided series will all work quite nicely.

The TER-9 you have pictured in the second photo is an older one that IIRC is not approved for supersonic flight. The newer TER-9A has a much sleeker design for its nose which is conducive to supersonic flight.

Iron_Eagle

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 17:26

Thanks for the info. So TER-9 is the name of the thing. The regular triple ejector rack attached to the pylon is just called "TER"? Is there any visual differences between the 40 and 50 pylon?
Anytime - Anywhere

ViperDude

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 21:24

Iron_Eagle wrote:Thanks for the info. So TER-9 is the name of the thing. The regular triple ejector rack attached to the pylon is just called "TER"? Is there any visual differences between the 40 and 50 pylon?

Okay a TER-9 (triple ejector rack) sits under a weapon pylon. (There is nothing hangin off the pylon in that picture) Physically a Blk 40 pylon and a Blk 50 pylon look about the same. However all Blk 50 pylons can drop smart weapons, and not all Blk 30/40 can drop smart weapons, because they may or may not have the smart weapon modification.

Cheers,

ViperDude

Iron_Eagle

Unread post11 Jul 2006, 21:34

ViperDude,

thanks for your response, it seems I misunderstood AmmoCapt 's post. I know about TER, thus I thought it was strange when I misunderstood and thought the wing weapons pylon is also called TER. I see, apparently that pylon is just called "Wing Weapons Pylon"...? Do the fairings added serve any purpose, i.e. is that wing pylon a major improvement of the older one?

One more thing, by "smart weapons" you guys are not including LGBs right? Because you said that the Block40 wing pylon cannot carry smart weapons, but they do carry LGBs.

Finally: does the ability to drop whichever weapon pertain only to the wing weapons pylon, only the TER, or both?

Thanks again for the clarifications,

Regards,

Yang
Anytime - Anywhere

usaafonne1

Unread post01 Dec 2006, 03:38

Ok, ok, I think he has a multi part question, first the two pylons seen in the picture are different, however, the one showing on station 4 as we see it is a fuel pylon, it is connected to the tank and does not seperate.

But if you were to put a weapons pylon on station 4, it would look just like the one on sta 3. And your block model of pylon has no bearing on carrying the GbU's as there is no connection between the gbu and the aircraft so any block model can carry the gbu's/

Now if we are talking about truly smart weapons, you want the block 40's and 50's. No much difference between the two except for a third connector and more video wires. This connector inside the aft door is the key to all of you newest smart weapons. It's quite frankly referred to as the JDAM connection.

Now for the TERS, as henrik said, the older version of the TER you are looking at is probably the slow TER, a rounded nose fairing. Then there are the go-fast Modded ters that have the pointed nose, those are for the F-16.... Go slows are only used on A-10's now.

Even more knowledge for you is that there are even newer TERs, but the everyday person would not know how to identify them. They are digital trays instead of the analog stepper switch. You can tell by looking that the breeches in the rear. They are screw on, and away is the safety pin in the back, only a switch now.

I hope this is some information to calm your apetite.

JoeSambor

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post01 Dec 2006, 11:46

I believe the technical term for a TER that has been modified for better aerodynamics is the "GO FAST TER".

Best Regards,
Joe Sambor
LM Aero Field Service Engineer
Woensdrecht Logistics Center, The Netherlands

Return to F-16 Armament & Stores