Modern Naval Vessels

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
  • Author

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post08 May 2020, 20:21

@boogieman

SPY-6 is not X-band radar there was proposal for X-band version but in future.

So as S-band radar it can't be accurate enough to guide SM-6 with datalink against LO/VLO target which could also be quite fast.

Type-055 looks quite impressive:
Attachments
Asds5rp.jpg

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 May 2020, 06:16

milosh wrote:@boogieman

So as S-band radar it can't be accurate enough to guide SM-6 with datalink against LO/VLO target which could also be quite fast.

I think you're confusing the SPY-1D initially used on the Arleigh Burke with the newer SPY-6. The SPY-6 operateds in both S and X band frequencies.

https://missilethreat.csis.org/defsys/amdr/

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post11 May 2020, 06:26

Radars like MF-star operate in the S band and are used to guide Barak ship-based SAMs. Multi-function radars are the "in-things" today.

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 May 2020, 07:57

milosh wrote:@boogieman

S-band radar can definitely be accurate enough given large enough antenna and large ships have enough room for such an S-band antenna. S-band antenna needs to have 3 times the diameter an X-band antenna has to give the same angular resolution. IIRC, AN/SPY-6 has something like 4 to 6 meter diameter depending on version. So it should not have problems with resolution to guide SAMs to any target.

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 May 2020, 16:41

That would be quite useful, I didn't think S-band can be used agianst LO/VLO fast targets, becuase other newest destroyers all have AESA X-band fire control radars (british Type 45, chinese Type 055).

But now when I think there are SAM systems which used S-band for fire control.

What is interesting more is usage of AWACS radar to guide AAM. E-3 and A-50/100 work in S-band, A-100 is also AESA so it could be quite useful to guide R-37 but why not 9M96 missiles.

skyward

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post11 May 2020, 18:49

milosh wrote:That would be quite useful, I didn't think S-band can be used agianst LO/VLO fast targets, becuase other newest destroyers all have AESA X-band fire control radars (british Type 45, chinese Type 055).

But now when I think there are SAM systems which used S-band for fire control.

What is interesting more is usage of AWACS radar to guide AAM. E-3 and A-50/100 work in S-band, A-100 is also AESA so it could be quite useful to guide R-37 but why not 9M96 missiles.

I would think you would know that LO/VLO design missile and fighter is all about good against x-band. The type 45 use S band for fire control because Aster use active seeker. The x-band still useful for point defense vs LO/VLO anti ship missiles and that why type 55 have it. Long range radar for ship is always S band nowadays. It is better against LO/VLO target than x-band.
Previous

Return to Off-topic