1st USMC F-35C Jets Arrive MCAS Miramar Next Week VMFA-314

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24491
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post15 Jan 2020, 03:25

First F-35C Stealth Fighter Jets to Arrive at Miramar Next Week
14 Jan 2020 Chris Jennewein

"...The new jets are assigned to the “Black Knights” of Fighter Attack Squadron 314, which has been training in the new planes at Naval Air Station Lemoore since the ceremonial final flight of an F/A-18 Hornet in June.

“This transition process really began at the sundown ceremony,” said Lt. Col. Cedar Hinton, commanding officer of VMFA-314. “Since then, we’ve been moving toward becoming a fully-operational F-35C squadron. Starting at the end of September, we began preparing for safe-for-flight operations certification.” The safe-for-flight operations certification is the final milestone for the squadron’s transition to the Lightning II...."

Source: https://timesofsandiego.com/military/20 ... next-week/
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post15 Jan 2020, 05:27

The "Argonauts"of VFA-147 are going to deploy with the USS Carl Vinson in 2021. Do we know when VMFA-314 is going to sea and what ship???
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4000
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post15 Jan 2020, 16:37

Such great news!

I love seeing the Marines finally getting new equipment. They've made due for so long, with so little. The maintenance/mission capable stats of their Hornet fleet are downright scary, and the A/V-8B would be in the same boat were it not for the UK purchase of its airframes.

A Marine Corps flush with factory fresh F-35B's/C's is going to add a whole new dimension to US warfighting capabilities. Those B's on ships like the America effectively transform what, 10-12 such carriers into uber-effective strike platforms?!

Semper Fi and all that :)
Offline

usnvo

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 198
  • Joined: 01 Jul 2015, 18:51

Unread post16 Jan 2020, 00:53

Corsair1963 wrote:The "Argonauts"of VFA-147 are going to deploy with the USS Carl Vinson in 2021. Do we know when VMFA-314 is going to sea and what ship???


Carl Vinson, 2021
Offline
User avatar

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2531
  • Joined: 12 Jun 2016, 17:36

Unread post16 Jan 2020, 00:55

mixelflick wrote:Such great news!

I love seeing the Marines finally getting new equipment. They've made due for so long, with so little. The maintenance/mission capable stats of their Hornet fleet are downright scary, and the A/V-8B would be in the same boat were it not for the UK purchase of its airframes.

A Marine Corps flush with factory fresh F-35B's/C's is going to add a whole new dimension to US warfighting capabilities. Those B's on ships like the America effectively transform what, 10-12 such carriers into uber-effective strike platforms?!

Semper Fi and all that :)


Uhhhh... they've only been getting brand new Bees since.. when -- 2015? For going on five years?
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post16 Jan 2020, 00:56

usnvo wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:The "Argonauts"of VFA-147 are going to deploy with the USS Carl Vinson in 2021. Do we know when VMFA-314 is going to sea and what ship???


Carl Vinson, 2021



VFA-147 will deploy with the USS Carl Vinson in 2021. Yet, I don't believe VMFA-314 is.....Which, is why I posted the question?
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 6702
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post16 Jan 2020, 01:02

Miramar Ramp this week....


MiramarX.jpg
Offline

raameagle

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 202
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2004, 23:59

Unread post16 Jan 2020, 01:25

That’s an exercise that’s being held at Miramar. The F-35Bs in the picture are all based at Yuma but I suspect that the new sunshades in the background will be for VMFA-314.
Regards
Mark
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24491
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post23 Jan 2020, 08:29

Lightning Strikes Miramar: 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing welcomes Corps’ first F-35C
22 Jan 2020 1st Lt. Charles Allen; Marine Corps Air Station Miramar / 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing

"MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. - 3rd Marine Air Wing made history when it welcomed the Marine Corps’ first F-35C Lightning II to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, Jan. 21, 2020. The Marines and sailors of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 314, the “Black Knights,” are extremely proud of their legacy and tradition of making aviation history....

...The next 3rd MAW squadron set to transition from the F/A-18 is VMFA-225, which will celebrate their last F/A-18 flight on Jan. 23, 2020...."

Photo: "U.S Marine Corps Lt. Col. Cedar L. Hinton, commanding officer of Marine Wing Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 314, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (MAW), lands VMFA-314's first F-35C Lightning II on Marine Air Station Miramar, Calif., Jan. 21, 2020. The F-35C will give 3rd MAW a technological advantage by bringing the next wave of 5th generation fighter jets to its arsenal. The F-35C represents the next step in aviation, introducing upgraded internal fuel storage capacity, enhanced stealth capability and the reliability found in other F-35 variants. These capabilities will ensure 3rd MAW is well-equipped to meet the threats of tomorrow. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Dominic Romero)" https://www.dvidshub.net/download/image/6034376 (JPG 10.2Mb)


Source: https://www.dvidshub.net/news/359904/li ... irst-f-35c


VMFA-314 1st F-35C MCAS Miramar Arrival 22 Jan 2020 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHtlht8jTE

Attachments
6034376 PDF.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

  • Posts: 4000
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post11 Feb 2020, 12:33

steve2267 wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Such great news!

I love seeing the Marines finally getting new equipment. They've made due for so long, with so little. The maintenance/mission capable stats of their Hornet fleet are downright scary, and the A/V-8B would be in the same boat were it not for the UK purchase of its airframes.

A Marine Corps flush with factory fresh F-35B's/C's is going to add a whole new dimension to US warfighting capabilities. Those B's on ships like the America effectively transform what, 10-12 such carriers into uber-effective strike platforms?!

Semper Fi and all that :)


Uhhhh... they've only been getting brand new Bees since.. when -- 2015? For going on five years?


I was referring to the C, and am well aware the B went IOC first with the Marines, then everyone else. And yes, it was 2015 when that occurred.
Offline

f35phixer

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 161
  • Joined: 13 May 2009, 22:38

Unread post11 Feb 2020, 21:57

raameagle wrote:That’s an exercise that’s being held at Miramar. The F-35Bs in the picture are all based at Yuma but I suspect that the new sunshades in the background will be for VMFA-314.
Regards
Mark


I was like WTF are F-22's doing there? They are F-22'S? Old EYES....
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 24491
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post23 Mar 2020, 10:10

First Marine F-35C Squadron Attains Next Aviation Milestone
22 Mar 2020 Gunnery Sgt. Jon Holmes; Marine Corps Air Station Miramar / 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing

"Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 314 celebrated the results of over five months of F-35C Lightning II transition training when they received their Safe-For-Flight Operations Certification at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar March 20, 2020. VMFA-314 and the U.S. Navy's F-35C Fleet Replacement Squadron, Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 125, diligently worked together toward this historic accomplishment even while conducting precautionary measures to stem the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

SFFOC is an important milestone for VMFA-314's transition to the F-35C Lightning II from the F/A-18 Hornet. It marks the end of the squadron's oversight by VFA 125, which was responsible for ensuring that the "Black Knights" received quality training during their temporary relocation to Naval Air Station Lemoore, California, from Sept. 2019 to Jan. 2020.

The SFFOC process ensures the squadron is manned with qualified personnel to implement maintenance and safety programs in support of fleet operations. All transitioning squadrons are required to complete this certification prior to independently conducting flight operations....

...The certification process encompasses areas such as equipment, personnel and programs. Requirements include the installation and operation of management information systems and their accompanying support networks. There is also a requirement for operational F-35C squadrons to maintain robust maintenance programs and complete various inspections ranging from conventional weapons technical proficiencies to safety. Squadron personnel complete a transition curriculum and maintain specific competencies in accordance with Naval Air Training and Operating Procedures and Standardization guidelines...."

Source: https://www.dvidshub.net/news/365655/fi ... -milestone
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

Return to F-35 Units

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests