First Guard F-35A Flies

Production milestones, roll-outs, test flights, service introduction and other milestones.
  • Author

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Aug 2019, 17:56

Isn't it redundant?

I believe the Guard's charter is primarily statutory. But in theory and practicality, at this point in time I would agree with you.

I don't know about the current fiscal realities, but in the past, part of the Guard's value was the 'value'....i.e. 'doing more with less'.....although at times it seemed more like 'doing everything with nothing'.

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post04 Aug 2019, 18:49

I guess to be fair, the real 'value' in the Guard is the perceived value by those in the ANG.

For pilots it's the opportunity for a whole career of flying airplanes without interruption, and without being at the mercy of the faceless gargantuan 'impersonal' personnel system for that next assignment. This is part of the reason why the Guard (and USAFR) was/is so popular with ex Navy pilots.

For MX and the support functions, it's the 'value' of settling in one spot without having to pack up and move every three or so years to that next assignment. This is the reason why, without a doubt, the Guard has the best MX in any flying business anywhere. USAFR a close second.

The current world situation cuts into some of the advantages a bit, but that's what you sign up for. Good with the not so good.

(I sound like a recruiter. :D ......Be all you can be, yada, yada)

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post04 Aug 2019, 23:19

Outlaw probably touched on this, without saying it directly, but one of the primary benefits of the ANG to the country has to do with pilot retention: keeping butts in seats. The regular service is having a tough time keeping pilots. This pilot retention problem would probably be that much worse without the Guard to keep pilots in cockpits.
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.
Previous

Return to F-35 milestones