Does anybody not know that the F-16 is a Viper?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

nam11b

Unread post12 May 2019, 15:09

Hey everyone. I was on a cruise this week and ran into a dude into the elevator that had a F-16 polo on. Making conversation, I said “Do you have any ties to the Viper?” He gave me a weird look and said what? I said your shirt, do you have any ties to the viper. He said “that’s a Fighting Falcon”. Assuming it was a nonner or just a fan, I said lots of people in the community call it a Viper. He proceeded to tell me he was retired USAF weapons from Mountain Home and nobody calls it a Viper.

I have been around the jet for 20 years and thought this was a prevalent nickname across services and countries. What do you guys think, does anybody not know that the F-16 is a Viper?

ygbsm

Unread post12 May 2019, 15:21

nam11b wrote:Hey everyone. I was on a cruise this week and ran into a dude into the elevator that had a F-16 polo on. Making conversation, I said “Do you have any ties to the Viper?” He gave me a weird look and said what? I said your shirt, do you have any ties to the viper. He said “that’s a Fighting Falcon”. Assuming it was a nonner or just a fan, i said lots of people in the community call it a Viper. He proceeded to tell me he was retired USAF weapons from Mountain Home and nobody calls it a Viper.
I have been around the jet for 20 years and thought this was a prevalent nickname across services and countries. What do you guys think, does anybody not know that the F-16 is a Viper?

Just the guy wearing the Viper shirt

nam11b

Unread post13 May 2019, 00:04

Hah, truth.

dlaf16wssm

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post15 May 2019, 04:08

ygbsm wrote:
nam11b wrote:Hey everyone. I was on a cruise this week and ran into a dude into the elevator that had a F-16 polo on. Making conversation, I said “Do you have any ties to the Viper?” He gave me a weird look and said what? I said your shirt, do you have any ties to the viper. He said “that’s a Fighting Falcon”. Assuming it was a nonner or just a fan, i said lots of people in the community call it a Viper. He proceeded to tell me he was retired USAF weapons from Mountain Home and nobody calls it a Viper.

Just the guy wearing the Viper shirt

He's a weapons guy. That's really all you needed to know.

:roll:

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 May 2019, 13:31

All fighters and bombers pick up nicknames during their service life, some more than others.

For the F-16, you have Viper, Electric jet etc.

Some love them, some hate them and some blatantly refuse anything but the official name. For the F-16, Viper is the most used I believe?

desertdog

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 May 2019, 23:18

:doh: The four F-16 AMU's at Nellis: THUNDERBIRDS, TOMAHAWKS, FALCON, aaaaaaaand VIPER. :doh:

dragracingmaniac

Unread post19 May 2019, 03:03

At one time (1994) we had a Viper LTF at Edwards. Guess which aircraft we had.... :doh:
The only people I've heard call the F-16 a Fighting Falcon were the announcer dude for the Thunderbirds and the Air Force PR types. Everyone else that I know that either worked on or around the F-16 or flew the F-16 called it the Viper.

Return to General F-16 forum