Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

firebase99

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 Mar 2019, 01:53

Gums wrote:Salute!

You got it, Count.

Not only that, but when the Earth was still cooling our original speed "gate" for the Viper radar had to be raised. This showeed itself worst when the jets went to Europe and flew over the Autobahn. a zillion targets showed up when looking down!! Our problemin Utah was I-84 and speedo folks. But only those zooming along ten or fifteen MPH over the limit. So they had to raise the "ignore" speed. Helos were still not a problem due to the spinning rotors, but I guess zeppelins with cloth envelopes, eagle feather control surfaces and balsa frames might be trouble.

So look for funny things in next RF besides the chariots

Gums sends...

Ive read reports in the 80's and 90's Eagles locking up Porsches and Das Benze! zipping along on the Autobahn. Vaguely recall they it filtered to 90MPH and up.

old_rn

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 Mar 2019, 07:23

firebase99 wrote:
Gums wrote:Salute!

You got it, Count.

Not only that, but when the Earth was still cooling our original speed "gate" for the Viper radar had to be raised. This showeed itself worst when the jets went to Europe and flew over the Autobahn. a zillion targets showed up when looking down!! Our problemin Utah was I-84 and speedo folks. But only those zooming along ten or fifteen MPH over the limit. So they had to raise the "ignore" speed. Helos were still not a problem due to the spinning rotors, but I guess zeppelins with cloth envelopes, eagle feather control surfaces and balsa frames might be trouble.

So look for funny things in next RF besides the chariots

Gums sends...

Ive read reports in the 80's and 90's Eagles locking up Porsches and Das Benze! zipping along on the Autobahn. Vaguely recall they it filtered to 90MPH and up.

Reminds me that one of the (many) problems with the Nimrod AEW was that it tried to track every moving car in UK - overwhelmed the 1970s computer power!

hythelday

Unread post16 Mar 2019, 11:55

I think Mike "Dozer" Shower also told that he picked up someone doing their best Lightning McQueen impersonation on a highway while looking for Fulcrums over Bosnia.

So perhaps An-2 Colt and other "bush" props are the real stealth aircraft, especially in IR and acoustic department. :D I have read some speculations that supposedly South Koreans infil their SOF into best Korea using Colts at very low altitude.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post16 Mar 2019, 22:31

old_rn wrote:Reminds me that one of the (many) problems with the Nimrod AEW was that it tried to track every moving car in UK - overwhelmed the 1970s computer power!

Thankfully the F-35 was designed to track over 100 items now and the expected 25x increase in computing power in Block4 (TR3) should insulate it even further from those kinds of issues.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum