F-35B in the ME for first time

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post12 Oct 2018, 17:05

quicksilver wrote:
hythelday wrote:...USS Essex is in the Persian Gulf, but there are no confirmation yet whether VMFA-211 has been cleared to fly or not. Not impossible, as some F-35s across all variants are already flying (see relevant "crash" thread)

VMFA-211 was not grounded. A TCTD/TCTO was issued that specified inspection of a specific engine component in all F35s/F135s before the next flight. Jets (individual tail numbers, as opposed to an operational unit) are cleared to fly pending completion and the results of the directed inspection.

Agreed.

This sounds like an IRAN (inspect and repair as needed) project.
1. The inspection (records and airframe) sounds like it is low impact. Those not needing repair can be checked in the normal cycle of waiting in the hangar for the next flight, and in fact may have no real "down time" at all, going to the next sortie.
2. Those that need the part apparently are only down for 24-48 hours according to reports.
3. I'm not sure where the fuel tube is located (airframe or engine) but the parts are likely in Europe now as needed, with the assembly there. Worse case they'll take a few days to back fill the European assembly/depot locations from the States. ?days not weeks.

I don't expect there to have been any noticeable loss of missions to the casual observer, with VMFA-211. Perhaps one aircraft held back for 48 hours. Perhaps one Osprey sortie to go get the parts.

MHO,
BP
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum