F-35B in the ME for first time

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post13 Sep 2018, 18:35

No worries. You had spelt 'do' incorrectly. It is not 'due'. However I acknowledge that 'merican engrish is really not ENGLISH at all - so whatever. :D You see me raving about LIGHTENING and OTHER MISS SPELT STUFF but I know it is a losing (NOT LOOSING) proposition. I'm not KING CANUCK (yes I know CANUTE) fighting the tide of internet mobile fone thumbing spel.

What about SM6?
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

usnvo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 Sep 2018, 06:12

marsavian wrote:The Paveway II (500lb GBU-49) can be used for moving targets at 3F and 400 have been ordered. Doubt any are on board though as they should just be receiving this order about now.

Even with 2B software, the GBU-12 is fine for targets moving slower than 40mph so just about any ship is within its engagement envelope without pilot intervention. For faster targets, a GBU-12 can still be used to engage it, but requires the pilot to manually lead the target which increases the workload for the pilot as well as the possibility of a miss. A GBU-49 just adds GPS/INS and proportional guidance that allows targets travelling faster than 40mph to be engaged by tracking the target directly instead of leading it.

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 Sep 2018, 17:58

usnvo wrote:Even with 2B software, the GBU-12 is fine for targets moving slower than 40mph so just about any ship is within its engagement envelope without pilot intervention. For faster targets, a GBU-12 can still be used to engage it, but requires the pilot to manually lead the target which increases the workload for the pilot as well as the possibility of a miss. A GBU-49 just adds GPS/INS and proportional guidance that allows targets travelling faster than 40mph to be engaged by tracking the target directly instead of leading it.

Indeed.
And moreover, the GBU-49 allows the engagement of targets in any weather conditions, such as bad weather and/or any other conditions which may obscure the targets (due to the help of GPS guidance).
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum