The UK reveals F22 knock off

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Jul 2018, 17:26

Not really. For the F-16V, F-15E+, etc there has been a long line of upgrades that came in earlier batches. That, and they do not depend on a tightly controlled & fused core processor like the F-22 does. On top of all of that, the economies of scale are higher with 4th gen updates.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

marsavian

Unread post30 Jul 2018, 21:55

For its 2025-2030 MLU reports say F-22 will get a thorough computer/sensor/network overhaul with probably bringing all 187 jets up to the same standard. I expect at least an upgrade to EODAS type functionality on the IR side even if ultimately there is no space for EOTS functionality.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Jul 2018, 22:18

Space is not a problem as LM said years ago that the current sensors are capable of doing it. Throw in 25+ years of miniaturization (see gains in latest EODASv2 spec) and it's a no brainier.

While the MLU might get an avionics "overhaul", I don't think it will be a complete swap for new gear. I think they'll get new ICP cards, radar modules, HMD, etc... But I don't think it will be a rewire job (apart from getting older F-22s up to current std).
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum