Germany’s Typhoon problem: Only 4 fighters are combat ready

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

KamenRiderBlade

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 May 2018, 01:47

I don't think the USA us asking to much, we certainly didn't say we won't defend our European partners. All we asked is that some of the largest economies in the world hold up there end of NATO and spend 2% of there GDP on military. Joint defense only works when everyone pays there way, a lot of the Euro Nato members are letting there military take a back seat when it comes to funding, Germany is the golden example of that, 4th or 5th largest economy can't even muster a modern military, the only aircraft capable of defending German air space right now are American F-16's.

mk82

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 May 2018, 15:53

It is frankly a stupid decision for Germany to acquire more Typhoons when most of their (current) Typhoons are not suitable for operational/combat duties (due to significant logistical/maintenance issues). But I guess Germany could increase the number of operational/combat ready Typhoons to a grand total of 8 aircraft (yay!!!! :roll: ) if Germany acquires more Typhoons :mrgreen:

citanon

Unread post16 May 2018, 21:05

If current trends hold they'll have to buy 140 more to get 8 operational total.

What a perfect support program for the industrial base. :mrgreen:

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post19 May 2018, 14:15

mk82 wrote:It is frankly a stupid decision for Germany to acquire more Typhoons when most of their (current) Typhoons are not suitable for operational/combat duties (due to significant logistical/maintenance issues). But I guess Germany could increase the number of operational/combat ready Typhoons to a grand total of 8 aircraft (yay!!!! :roll: ) if Germany acquires more Typhoons :mrgreen:

Other Typhoon operators don't experience such abysmal readiness rates, so what's the issue in Germany? I agree 100% ordering more Typhoons is ridiculous, especially in light of this information...

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 May 2018, 12:18

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this article taken like gospel while that same site also outputs this kind of drivel:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... losophies/

I think we should take such articles with a huge grain of salt and should stay away from basing our conclusions on mass media clickbait "facts".
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

h-bomb

Unread post21 May 2018, 01:07

botsing wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this article taken like gospel while that same site also outputs this kind of drivel:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... losophies/

I think we should take such articles with a huge grain of salt and should stay away from basing our conclusions on mass media clickbait "facts".

How about the original article from February 5th?

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschla ... 05641.html

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 May 2018, 11:23

h-bomb wrote:How about the original article from February 5th?

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschla ... 05641.html

Well, let's do the F-35 check:

http://m.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/tor ... 78621.html

If you read that article they are as clueless as other mass media. They even quote the usual Pierre Spray nonsense (and name him as one of the people involved with the design of the F-16 and A-10).

So again: why do we suddenly accept these papers as factual when they did such a bad writing in the past when it was about a subject we knew more about?
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

gideonic

Unread post21 May 2018, 13:33

There are obviously huge problems in Bundeswehr due to idiotic "cost savings" in the past, but those hit-pieces are indeed little better than Pierre Sprey nonsense. I'm sure these headlines are at least partially created, to sell additional defence spending the public, as it has been woefully inadequate for at least a decade.

The "only 4 Eurofighters" issue came from the decision not to upgrade the DASS cooling system to the one all the other operators use (built by Leonardo). Now that the producer of the other system went belly-up, they have no spares. I'm sure Luftwaffe is able to take measures to mitigate it in short order.

Not that the overall state of the German Military after years of neglect isn't anything but embarrassing, but if anyone knows anything about Wartime vs Peacetime aircraft availability (SMSgt Mac has some great blog posts about that), when push comes to shove tomorrow, you can bet Luftwaffe is able to fly considerably more aircraft than those.

Return to Modern Military Aircraft