SU-57 deployed to Syria

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

juretrn

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 382
  • Joined: 31 Jul 2016, 01:09
  • Location: Slovenia

Unread post17 Mar 2019, 02:02

Isn't the blk 3 SH also getting radar blockers?
Yet no one is calling that thing VLO (except a certain orange buffoon)
Russia stronk
Online

marsavian

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 813
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2018, 21:55

Unread post17 Mar 2019, 02:10

Already present in earlier blocks.
Offline

milosh

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 667
  • Joined: 27 Feb 2008, 23:40
  • Location: Serbia, Belgrade

Unread post17 Mar 2019, 09:35

marsavian wrote:Only from the front and rear. From the sides its average is around 15 dBsm which is completely unstealthy and frankly I can't see being made up with RAS/RAM. From the sides the Su-57 would be very visible to both fighter and missile radar.


Yeap but model have classic nozzle because back then they didn't know Russian will test something like LOAN nozzle for Su-57:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/c3UKL.jpg
https://youtu.be/282XF5vBTFM?t=28

@juretrn

Radar blocker is normal solution for stealths, some UAV/UCAV use it, F-117 use it,
I think B-2 have radar blocker too, I saw earlier some photo where it can be seen in intake, I don't know was that photoshop or real.

Japs in their studies of future fighter consider them they even go that far they consider integrated it with engine where engine IGV and engine fan blades would be design in such way so radar return would be minimal.


And I almost forgot flying bath tub, F-32.
Offline

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2832
  • Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 10:26
  • Location: Parts Unknown
  • Warnings: 1

Unread post17 Mar 2019, 13:13

Bet that's the last "deployment' we see for a LONG time...

It is interesting though, to watch how Russia chips away at the SU-57's problems and further develops it. In much the same way they did on the Sukhoi T-10, culminating in the SU-35. Decades and decades of refinement in that case led to a world class fighter, albeit we have little combat experience to properly evaluate it.

It was supposed to replace SU-27's 1:1 in Russian service, but I think that's a pipe dream at this point. They're going to have to settle for a mish mash of various Flanker types, and perhaps a token amount of Mig-35's and SU-57's.
Offline

charlielima223

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 935
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 05:10

milosh wrote:
Yeap but model have classic nozzle because back then they didn't know Russian will test something like LOAN nozzle for Su-57:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/c3UKL.jpg
https://youtu.be/282XF5vBTFM?t=28



Cheezy video btw. As its looking the PAKFA wont be a "Top Gun" any time soon.
Happy St Patricks day! :pint:
As I type this I'm already 3 shots into Jameson and got Boondock Saints playing in the background!

At any rate; just because it looks like it doesn't mean it will be as good. The Chinese are even doing their own take on the LOAN design and have incorporated a TVC design similar to the F-16VISTA

Image
Image
Online

marsavian

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 813
  • Joined: 02 Feb 2018, 21:55

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 07:37

milosh wrote:
marsavian wrote:Only from the front and rear. From the sides its average is around 15 dBsm which is completely unstealthy and frankly I can't see being made up with RAS/RAM. From the sides the Su-57 would be very visible to both fighter and missile radar.


Yeap but model have classic nozzle because back then they didn't know Russian will test something like LOAN nozzle for Su-57.


The nozzle is only a small part of the 15 dBsm, it's mostly the long flattish side profile. This will have to be alleviated using RAS/RAM ... if they can.

Image
Offline

milosh

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 667
  • Joined: 27 Feb 2008, 23:40
  • Location: Serbia, Belgrade

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 09:23

charlielima223 wrote:
milosh wrote:
Yeap but model have classic nozzle because back then they didn't know Russian will test something like LOAN nozzle for Su-57:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/c3UKL.jpg
https://youtu.be/282XF5vBTFM?t=28



Cheezy video btw. As its looking the PAKFA wont be a "Top Gun" any time soon.
Happy St Patricks day! :pint:
As I type this I'm already 3 shots into Jameson and got Boondock Saints playing in the background!

At any rate; just because it looks like it doesn't mean it will be as good. The Chinese are even doing their own take on the LOAN design and have incorporated a TVC design similar to the F-16VISTA

Image
Image


In stealth tech look is important. You can't have stealthy nozzle with classic round one. So new nozzle surely is better in stealth therm. Also that is prototype nozzle one of them, becuase I saw at least two different nozzles for Su-57,

This one which was in Salyut factory, saw-toothed edge of serrated feather:
http://in24.org/wp-content/uploads/2017 ... F-30-2.jpg

and this one Saturn nozzle:
https://cdn.aviaforum.ru/images/2017/11 ... 958d4e.jpg

It look similar to one in video but feather tip is totally different and it more rounded then one on video.

So it look like nozzle RCS is important for Russians. And you have that Saturn flat nozzle which is in development (latest interview with Saturn CEO) it isn't for Su-57 even though it is nozzle for AL-51 engine.

Chinese nozzle looks really rounded from side, maybe it is new nozzle for J-10/11, I doubt they would use such rounded nozzle on stealth.
Offline

madrat

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2040
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post18 Mar 2019, 12:18

Looks like purely research. They even scabbed on mounts for a camera system to stare at the nozzle.
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: marsavian and 11 guests