LANTIRN Nav Pod on non-Block40/42

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.
  • Author

mrlane

Unread post20 Oct 2017, 11:27

Hi...long time reader here, first time poster. Quite a few questions here, but I thought I should do them all together rather than have separate threads.

I have a handful of questions about the AN/AAQ-13 LANTIRN Nav Pod and terrain following in the F-16. My understanding was that the 40/42 was pretty much specified around the LANTIRN pod set and had a holographic HUD for displaying raster imagery from the nav pods FLIR sensor. I have seen however pictures of other F-16 blocks also carrying this pod, in particular the F-16I. This aircraft doesn't have a WAR HUD from what I can see, so how does this work? If the aircraft doesn't have a WAR HUD does this mean the imagery is only shown on a heads down display? Does the TFR integrate with the flight control computer on other blocks, or are they FLIR only?

With the UAE F-16E/F I believe that the FLIR turret is also a fixed forward FLIR, not an IRST sensor. The E/F also doesn't seem to have the WAR HUD. What's the situation in this case? Does the APG-80 also have a built in TFR mode?

I understand that this pod (the nav pod) is decommissioned in the USAF (at least for F-16s), but is still available to the F-15E. Is this correct? I see that this old pod is still fitted to new foreign sales aircraft like the F-15SG. Are these second hand pods from USAF stocks? I take it these are no longer produced given their age?

Lastly in this photo...I haven't seen this before. It looks like the FLIR only Pathfinder version of the nav pod...but what is that above it? It looks a lot like the IRST that is found above the targeting pod on the F-15SG. I am not aware of any F-16 having an IRST.

aaj.jpg

Thanks heaps!

ViperDude

Unread post20 Dec 2017, 00:30

I can answer some of this but its been awhile since I played with LANTIRN. the WAR HUD or (Wide Angle Raster), by heads down display you mean the MFD's, and I don't remember.

The TFR did integrate with with the flight control computer but remember it was originally only flown on Block 40/42 aircraft.

The LANTIRN NAV pod is only flown on USAF F-15E, yes.

IRST isn't being flown as a production pod on anything.

mrlane

Unread post26 Jan 2019, 10:12

Wow...I posted this over a year ago and forgot about it. Oops. By heads down displayed I mean MFD yes. Sorry wrong terminology.

It seems there is very little info on non block 40 LANTIRN Nav pod operation and on the capabilities of the Block 60s Nav FLIR.

I am still interested in what sensor that is above the Pathfinder pod...maybe is just some mockup.

MVSGas

Unread post26 Jan 2019, 15:55

In the USAF, the F-16 block 40/42 where the only one that could carry the AN/AAQ-13 (beside test aircraft) Other countries also bought the capability with their blocks. So you may see HAF F-16 block 52 with AN/AAQ-13 installed.

Additionally, the block 40/42 Wide Angle Raster (WAR) HUD is no longer the only HUD capable of displaying the FLIR, the Wide Angle Collimated can also do it AFAIK.

Keep in mind this does not mean all block 50/52/40/42 can carry it. Every F-16 is different, so capabilities depend not only on the block, you would also need to know the year ( specific time frame we are talking about) the country ( some countries have some capabilities other don't), some times the specific tail number. I say that because updates/ upgrades normally happen gradually. You may have units that have some aircraft capable of doing something and other aircraft not capable yet.

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Return to F-16 Armament & Stores