Favorite F-35 Quotes

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post10 Jul 2018, 10:12

'BOLT' is not gunna FLY NAVY - too much like the BOLTER BOLTER BOLTER LSO call when aircraft bolters (misses wires).
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

Dragon029

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 05:29

More:
Scotty1992 wrote:Cheers. How do you guys find the capabilities of the F-35?

Sandy88 wrote:If I could have them on every mission I would. Absolute powerhouse with the only limiting factor being missiles.

delta9991 wrote:I figured the -35 would would be great with gas (love your nickname for it btw), but I figured the Raptor wouldn’t be as constrained as legacy platforms for the same reasons. Are the Raptors much better than legacy jets on endurance and the -35 even better or are the Raptors more or less like the legacy platforms.

Sandy88 wrote:On the open source side the Raptor can cover great distances quickly due to its Super Cruise many people confuse this with a long on-station time when in reality its really closer to an F-15C unless they put bags on the jet but then you lose all the advantages of being "stealthy". I was blown away by the Bolts loiter times when I first worked with them it really is an amazing jet. I'm pretty sure the -35 will end up being called the Puma my unit just uses Bolt for now.

delta9991 wrote:F-15C with or without bags endurance? Still not too shabby either way. Great information, thank you for your time and service!

Sandy88 wrote:Without.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 06:16

:devil: My FAVE F-35 FITER PILOTE QUOTE EVA:

RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 07:01

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 13:59

Dragon, I looked over a bit of that thread and noticed some asked Sandy88 if they were you.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

Dragon029

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 14:12

He wasn't; the "u/dragon029" is the user Scotty1992 tagging me in a comment (put a "u/" before any username and that person gets notified that they were mentioned; Reddit accounts have urls of reddit.com/u/username) and essentially letting me know that the thread was something I might be interested in reading.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jul 2018, 16:29

Okay, got it. I don't do Reddit so I don;t know those details.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Jul 2018, 01:38

Just bekoz today & Oz: https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/strik ... e-concerns
"...the F-35, which Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Leo Davies is quoted as saying will "replace nothing, because they change everything"...."

lrrpf52

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 19:13

Senior Red Air pilot perspective:

“We took off out of Madison (to join the fight),” said Lt. Col. Bart Van Roo, the commander of the Wisconsin Air National Guard’s 176th FS, which has F-16 Fighting Falcons. “We went to our simulated airfield out in the far part of the airspace. As the two ship from the northern half of the airspace we turned hot, drove for about 30 seconds and we were dead, just like that. We never even saw (the F-35A).”

Van Roo has been flying the F-16 since 2001 and as red air during Northern Lightning for 13 years. Red air is a formation of aircraft acting as the enemy for air-to-air tactics training.

“For us, as a capable fourth-generation fighter, we are used to being able to see and counter most adversaries that we have out there when we are playing red air,” Van Roo said. “Versus the F-35, it’s completely different. The most difficult thing is we just can’t see them like they can see us. It can feel like you are out there with a blindfold on trying to find someone in a huge space.

“We have been reliant on visual pickups of the aircraft only, which is extremely difficult to do, and at those ranges we are already dead before we could shoot back.”

https://www.hill.af.mil/News/Article-Di ... legacy-ai/

lrrpf52

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 19:27

Eglin AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFNS) -- Years ago, Lt. Col. Brad Bashore flew against the F-22 Raptor as an F-15E Strike Eagle pilot. Now, as an F-35A Lightning II pilot at this year’s exercise Northern Lightning, it was his turn to deliver fire from the clouds.

“It’s not a fair fight, and that’s exactly what we want for our adversaries,” said Bashore, the 58th Fighter Squadron commander. “To be on the offensive side this time and getting a chance to employ (those capabilities), I couldn’t ask for anything better. It’s like fighting somebody with their hands tied behind their back.

Bashore and his wingmen at the 58th FS, which belongs to the 33rd Fighter Wing, have been employing the capabilities of the F-35A, scoring as many as 27 “kills” in a single sortie at Northern Lightning, a large force exercise where fifth- and fourth-generation aircraft engage in a contested, degraded environment.

“I remember the first time I flew against (fifth-generation aircraft),” Bashore said. “It’s a change in mindset because you can’t target anything on your radar because it’s not there, and by the time you do potentially find something, it’s too late and they have already shot you.

“It’s frustrating, but at the same time understanding that it’s our asset is invigorating and gives you a lot of hope for the future as far as how successful this platform is going to be.”

While sharing many similarities with the F-22, the F-35A’s main advantage is its robust suite of sensors that give it the ability to process and share information with other players in the battlespace. These capabilities make the F-35A more lethal and survivable than any legacy aircraft, and eliminate any safe space for the enemy to hide.

https://www.hill.af.mil/News/Article-Di ... legacy-ai/

playloud

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 20:43

lrrpf52 wrote:
...scoring as many as 27 “kills” in a single sortie

:wtf:

lrrpf52

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 21:13

playloud wrote:
lrrpf52 wrote:
...scoring as many as 27 “kills” in a single sortie

:wtf:

Bashore and his wingmen at the 58th FS, which belongs to the 33rd Fighter Wing, have been employing the capabilities of the F-35A, scoring as many as 27 “kills” in a single sortie at Northern Lightning

Sortie 1

Bashore's kills = x
Wingman 1 kills = y
Wingman 2 Kills = z
Wingman 4 kills = a

a + x + y + z = 27

Average kills per wingman in a 4-ship (assuming a 4-ship) is 27/4 = 6.75 kills per F-35.

What's that you say? The USAF F-35A only can carry 4 AAMs internally in Blocks 3i and 3F.

Yes, but it can also carry 2 x AIM-9X and still remain very stealthy, and it has this other thing most people like to ignore that makes big boom boom in other airplanes, especially with a VLO approach at angles and energy advantage.

It has 181 rounds for that weapon, with programmable bursts. 180/9 = 20 rounds of High Explosive Incendiary ammunition per burst, which has a habit of shredding manned targets from the Sukhoi and Mikoyan manned target design bureaus.

Even with only 3 x 60rd bursts allocated per wingman in a 4-ship, assuming an extremely high pk for guns and AIM-120C7/D within NEZ, that gives you 7 kills per bird in a 4-ship.

Assuming 4 x 45rd bursts, that gives you 8 kills maximum. We're not talking about BFM WVR turning fight gun kills from the previous 4 generations either, but unfair extreme energy advantage approaches from off-axis with super-computed solutions for strafe passes, linked with the AESA and EOTS/DAS, against a non-maneuvering target.

The NEZ region is where I think 5th Gen really makes life miserable for any threat air, not just the BVR realm where a lot of people have been assuming F-22 and F-35 will lean to always. NEZ also includes GAU-22/A.

That's assuming only a 4-ship for this scenario. We don't know how many wingmen he had, so even if it were 4 AIM-120 internal only per bird, the 27 kills still could be done with AMRAAM and guns.

27 kills for a single sortie is pushing or rivaling Israeli AF 1982 vs Syrians, and I doubt a single F-15A/C or F-16A 4-ship ever got that many in its history. Those 2 days in 1982 would be the highest saturation kills per sortie in the 4th Generation that I know of, with layers of F-15s and F-16s, with the Eagles at higher altitude vectored by E-2C for side aspect approaches, and F-16As flying lower/mid Flight Levels for those who squirted down in altitude to attempt to evade F-15s.

playloud

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 21:51

Unless my definition is wrong, each plane is its own sortie. A four-ship would be 4 sorties. But the part you highlighted shows they did indeed include the wingmen. They shouldn't have said a single sortie though.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 22:20

Just to add another equation changer... somewhere I've seen reference to a FIVE aircraft formation (perhaps Oz?)….

lrrpf52

Unread post10 Aug 2018, 23:15

playloud wrote:Unless my definition is wrong, each plane is its own sortie. A four-ship would be 4 sorties. But the part you highlighted shows they did indeed include the wingmen. They shouldn't have said a single sortie though.

You're right about the definition of a sortie in military aviation.

It would have been accurate for them to say "within the duration of his sortie", but that wouldn't print well for that particular release.
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum