Gun on the Eurofighter

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

chester

Unread post23 Jun 2005, 21:24

Where exactly is the 25mm cannon on the Eurofighter located? I know it's somewhere on the starboard side. Every photo I've seen either does'nt have it or they only show the port side. Any photo of gun on aircraft?

thanks for any help

boff180

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post29 Jun 2005, 11:17

It's in the wing root on the starboard side.
Andy Evans Aviation Photography
www.evansaviography.co.uk

Biggles4

Unread post11 Jul 2005, 16:39

The gun is a 27mm Mauser. It is a great weapon, pity it has no loader or ammunition!

firefox58

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post31 Jul 2005, 15:23

Hey, sorry I've been absent.
There was a topic on this a while ago, & we discussed the abscence of the 27mm Mauser on the RAF eurofighter.
Having seen one recently, both static & flying, I was quite impressed.
The official story given to us is that the gun is absent to give the aircraft a better weight advantage. Yea right...
The Tornado has 2 cannons anyway!?!-why not salvage one of those when it goes out of service.
A cannon is somewhat essential to a fighter aircraft, kind of like a side arm to a CQB soldier.
I'm sure many people here agree with me.
QuicQuid Agas Age-what so ever you may do, do

snypa777

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post31 Jul 2005, 19:00

Don't believe the hype guys, the deletion of the cannon in RAF service is purely a cost saving. It will reportedly save £32 million.
Whether that decision saves pilots lives remains to be seen....

Also early on in it's initial development, the Typhoon was going to be used exclusively as an air superiority fighter. An A2G capacity was only integrated later in it`s development.

The recent loss of the Singapore order, some say, was due to the slow schedule of A2G weapons integration. The RSAF wanted a multi-role aircraft long before the Typhoon would be able to deliver this capability in full.

The Typhoon consortium has received a "wake up call" by it`s own admission. They now realise that future orders will hinge on a FULL A2G capability, delivering a true multi-role aircraft. Governments want value for money. The consortium is now going hell for leather to integrate more A2G stores.

Typhoons CAN be fitted with a gun. The british MOD also gave the excuse that they had so much confidence in missile technology, they didn`t need a gun...

Now, where have I heard THAT one before? Vintage 1960's Vietnam, F-4 phantom rings a bell.

History is our greatest teacher.
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

boff180

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post31 Jul 2005, 22:45

Erm guys, you're a little behind the times....

They did remove the guns from the RAF Typhoons and replaced the cavity with a chunk of concrete... however this was found to drastically effect the handling characteristics of the aircraft.

Soo this is the ingenious cost saving idea they have now come up with is this.... the GUN is being fitted to the aircraft however it is not having its fire control software being installed making it unusable....

Great cost saving there guys!!! lol

Also, you may like to know the VTOL version of the JSF also does not have a gun... which is dumb when you consider its one of the primary weapons on a close air support aircraft such as what the RAF/RN and US Marines would use it as!

Andy
Andy Evans Aviation Photography
www.evansaviography.co.uk

snypa777

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post01 Aug 2005, 01:49

So..... in effect, they won`t have guns!! I had heard about It but did not buy the part about affecting handling qualities, why? The Tornado F.3 had concrete ballast in the nose while it was waiting for it`s Foxhunter radar. I am sure the RAF could have found a suitable substitute for the Mauser`s weight.

Also heard that all Tranche 1 aircraft will have the gun fitted to fulfill contractural obligations. I am sure the RAF will render it useless if ordered!
Check these pics concerning placement Chester. Finding a picture of an actual Gun on the plane is difficult!
The bulge at the wingroot is where the gun shold be, you can just see the blank . The bulge is missing on the port side.

Dumb indeed not to have a gun on the VTOL JSF. I have heard they have settled on a Boeing/Mauser 27mm gun for other JSF versions, based on the typhoon unit. Sorry guys, couldn`t resist the other pics!!
Attachments
starboard view.jpg
Bulge at wingroot.
port side view.jpg
With no bulge at wingroot.
`pit..jpg
Typhoon `pit.
085.jpg
Look at this beast!!! YEAH!!!!

Return to Modern Military Aircraft