TV Show - American Fighter Pilot

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

Habu

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post17 Jun 2005, 23:32

Murph wrote:All the individuals made it through the course, and they are now on their second (or in some cases) third tour. Mike Love (ex-Bone pilot) is not in the Guard. Giggy, incidentally, flies Eagles at the same base as his brother. There were more than 3 individuals in the course, they filmed them all equally but picked the three most "interesting" to focus on in the editing process. A great idea gone totally to s**t because of the MTV-ization of the show.

Regards,
Murph

Coundn't stay away from here either, eh Murph? ;)
Do your homework, Tiger!

FutureFlyer06

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Jun 2005, 05:16

My DVDs got here Saturday, and I have finished watching all seven episodes. It is friggin awesome! The footage is amazing. It actually makes me want to be an F-15 pilot... lol

Rexxxx

Unread post02 Aug 2005, 18:34

Also interestingly enough, word is that Giggy divorced his "hot wife" and ran off with the producer from the show.
62FS, Luke 02-03
524FS, Cannon 03-06
560FTS, Randolph 06
50FTS, Columbus 06-10
13ASOS, Ft Carson 10-

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Aug 2005, 14:18

I received my set of dvds for the series American Fighter Pilot and after 30 minutes of watching it this is what I think of it
(for whoever wants to know my opinion):

- I developed a huge headache ( a "not tonight darling") because of the footage manipulation by a production artist who could not leave any part of the great footage untouched with flashbacks, repeat voice overs, washouts, accelerated
footage, transitions, decoloration etc etc. What a complete mess. This person turned the footage that was most probably obtained with great effort into a piece of garbage, and should not be allowed to work in this industry ever. It is an absolute waste of money.
No wonder a series with great potential was cancelled. I am going to see Fighter Pilot at Imax and am pretty sure this
kind of aberration will not occurr.

Does anybody want to buy my set of DVDs.

truly yours

F-16VIPER

AmmoCapt

Unread post30 Aug 2005, 12:14

Our BX finally got these in. I have been waiting nearly 3 years to see this show.

I was an ROTC Cadet when this was first supposed to have aired, and when it came time to go to Field Training I was sent to (hold your laughter) Tyndal.

On one of our non-marching tours that we actually got to see something I got to talk to one of the IPs Tazz. He showed us the trailer for the show, and talked about the experience, and how the students did.

I asked him why the show never got beyond the first eppisode, and he told me that the show was going to have to compete with the Stanley Cup Finals that were happening at the same time, and that CBS decided to put it on hold.

Here we are three years later, and I guess they forgot to push the pause button again to resume play.

Regardless of some of the negetive views, I am looking forward to finally seeing the show.

trailmix

Unread post30 Aug 2005, 13:52

I thought it was still pretty good even with the editing. The effects were a little lame and the repeated commentary in addition to it being typed on the screen... was really annoying. But i still re-run the episodes every now and then.
Squawk 1-2-0-0, resume own navigation~

classicsolo

Unread post23 Aug 2007, 21:51

I just saw the Emergency episode posted on YouTube and was left hanging on the landing at the end. I was hoping someone could spoil the beginning of the next episode (Lt. Giggy's decision or lack thereof) for me as I don't think I will be ordering the DVD set anytime soon...

Thanks!

MarcoPolo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Aug 2007, 01:20

Giggy just recently was hired here at the FANG. He should be sitting alert here sometime in September. Our DO used to fly with him at Langley, said he's a pretty cool cat. We'll see soon enough how he's able to hang with us. :twisted:
Raptor what? Eagles fo' life.

akruse21

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post24 Aug 2007, 06:01

I was with him at Kadena. Great guy. Nothing like he is portrayed in the show. Was going to weapons school when I PCS'ed.

knuckles

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post16 Jun 2018, 11:58

F16VIPER wrote:I received my set of dvds for the series American Fighter Pilot and after 30 minutes of watching it this is what I think of it (for whoever wants to know my opinion):

- I developed a huge headache ( a "not tonight darling") because of the footage manipulation by a production artist who could not leave any part of the great footage untouched with flashbacks, repeat voice overs, washouts, accelerated
footage, transitions, decoloration etc etc. What a complete mess. This person turned the footage that was most probably obtained with great effort into a piece of garbage, and should not be allowed to work in this industry ever. It is an absolute waste of money.

No wonder a series with great potential was cancelled. I am going to see Fighter Pilot at Imax and am pretty sure this
kind of aberration will not occurr.

Does anybody want to buy my set of DVDs. truly yours F-16VIPER

AGREE - that terrible editing was just so silly (then add every negative word you can think). The editing really spoiled what should have been a great doco (my guess) but I found it unwatchable and gave up and I WAS INTERESTED! :-(
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft