F-16 start-up and take off procedures

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
  • Author

Phoenix

Unread post25 Nov 2003, 11:48

Could anybody tell me what the step-by-step start-up and take off procedure is in the F-16? Curiosity just struck me this morning.

Stefaan

F-16.net Webmaster

F-16.net Webmaster

• Warnings: -1

Unread post25 Nov 2003, 16:41

The "engine start procedure" is already being discussed in the <a href="index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=200&highlight=jfs">starting the F-16</A> topic.

Would be useful though to look at it from the ground crew point of view - what checks need to be done, who is involved, communication between pilot and ground crew/tower/...

stefaan
Stefaan Vanhastel
F-16.net Webmaster.

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 04:36

The pilot shows up about an hour to an hour and half prior to takeoff depending on what kind of mission he has to fly and how long it takes to align his INS and load his DTC info. After he does his walkaround checking the panrls, weapon racks , pneumatic pressures, oil level (makes sure there is oil in the sight glass on the engine) security of the engine chip detector(s) depending on which engine.

After the walk around the pilot finishes hooking up his harness and zips his G-suit up the rest of the way and sets up the cockpit switches for flight. Now he gets strapped in to the seat, the crew chief assist him in this by hooking up his G-suit hose to the hose on the left console and then hooks his chute harnesses to his harness, he then climbs down and removes the ladder.

Rigo

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 04:51

The pilot makes his/her last minute adjustmants to his switches and trim adjustments, he then puts on his helmet and hooks the O2 hose to the CRU 94 and attaches it to his harness and plugs it into to his combat edge vest.

He radios the tower for start clearance after he turns on main power. He then makes sure he is in communication with the c/c who is on the comm cord standing to aft left of the jet with the fire guard (usually a spec or weapons troop).

After he has recieved clearance and radios in to his wingmen he checks with the c/c if it is clear aft and front and if he is clear to go start 2 on the JFS panel . The c/c gives the ok and he goes start 2.

After the jet is up and running the c/c goes forward left and checks the Bsystem Hydraulics and checks the engine fault panel for tripped bit balls. He then moves aft after closing the hyd servicing door and checks the magnetic chip detector through the forward ventral thumblatch panel (GE engined viper) for leaks, he then coses this panel and moves aft and checks the nacelle ejectors for good airflow (these are on each side of the nozzle berween the exhaust nozzle and speedbrakes) .

Rigo

Racer497

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 04:57

I am a crew chief, but every one does the lauch differenly. I will tell you some of what I do and say.

After we get the stick monkey up in the cockpit and such then you go back put on the head set and wait for the pilot to come on. He will ask how you hear him, then after that it go time. You tell him "Chocks in, fire-guard posted, go for start 2 when you are ready sir".

Then the plane comes to life. The JFS doors open and the JFS starts. When the JFS gets the big motor to around 20% the pilot brings the throttle around the horn and the big motor lights off. After the big motor lights off, I look for the strobe and the nav lights to start blinks cause that means the gens are up.

Then you walk under the motor and as you are goin under. You check to see if the nacelle ejector are working.

.....more to come later

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 05:00

After he has checked the nacelle air on the right side he moves forward and checks the A system hydraulics, looks through the ground test sight window on the lox panel for either 5-6 fuel pump lights and then checks through a smaller thumblatch panel next to the lox panel the EPU continuity light on the EPU controller by pressing the continuity button.

The pilot by this time is ready to do his SEC/EPU checks, the pilot confirms that it is clear aft and then moves the SEC/PRI switch to SEC, this closes the nozzle all the way down, he then throttles forward up to 80% on the RPM gauge. This makes sure that the SEC is working correctly. The pilot then checks his EPU control panel for lights and makes sure the switch is in off.

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 05:08

The pilot then informs the c/c that it is clear to pull the EPU pin on the right side of the intake. The c/c then removes the pin and makes sure the area under and behind the jet is clear and then moves out to the right side past the wing and holds up the pin to show the pilot he has the pin and tells him he is clear.

The pilot then advances the throttle to 80% and puts the EPU switch in the test postion, this runs off bleed air from the engine and runs up the emergency generator and hydro pump. He runs it for 5 seconds making sure the run light comes on and that the standby generator light comes onlline. He then puts the EPU switch back to stanby.

Rigo

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 05:25

The pilot then checks with the c/c whether it is clear to start the flight control bit test. The c/c gives him the ok and he puts the flight control switch to bit test, the FLCCS takes it form there and begins runnig the flight controls through preprogrammed checks. This takes about a minute or so and then when the test is done it positions the flight controls to takeoff position.

The pilot then checks with the c/c to see if he is ready for the manual check. When the c/c is ready the pilot puts in these inputs and listens for the c/c to recite back the position of the flight control being checked. They are in this order staring in the trim settings, nose up, nose down, roll left , roll right, rudder left, rudder right.

Then the pilots checks for clearance to do the big movements. He repeats them again in the same order. This time gin=ving full inputs with the stick. Nose up, nose down, kick or further down, roll left, roll right, rudder left and rudder right .

Rigo

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 05:34

On a D model the backseater would give one set of inputs to make sure his/her stick is working right. The pilot then has to a digital backup and does the check again.

After this is done the brake check is next, the pilot awaits word from the c/c that he is in place next to the left wheel. The pilot then pumps the left brake in channel 1 in increments of 2 pumps while the c/c watches and recites when the brake plate moves. Thus it goes like this : movement no movement, movement, no movement: channel 2 movement, no movement, and then the c/c moves to the right brake and repeats it again.

On a D model he would do it for the backseat too.

Rigo

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 05:43

At this point it has been maybe 10 to 20 minutes since engine start, the pilot has punched in his INS coordinates and is awaiting for it to align and is waiting fo rhis DTC info to load also he will wait anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes more waiting for this.

During this time the c/c and fire guard pull the landing gear, ext tank pins and stores them in the stowage boxes in the left wheel well and then does final security checks on the panels. The Missile dome covers are removed and as on the AGM 88, the laser window cover is removed.

Rigo

Rigamortis

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 05:51

The tail hook and nose gear pins are removed prior to engine start by the way.

Anyway when the pilot gives the word, the c/c disconnects the comm coed from the comm control under the ext power panel where it the comm plug is located. He then shuts the panel, rolls up the cord and hooks the mike section of his headset back behind his head. He then waits for the pilot to give word to kick chockes.

When he gets the signal, he signals the fireguard to kick chockes. He signals the pilot, and the pilot gives him the go sign this when the c/c goves him the power up signal until the jet begins to roll and marshals him out .

Rigo

Habu

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 10:39

Lemme guess... David Clark headsets for the c/c's?
Do your homework, Tiger!

stik

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 13:18

Rigo and Racer, did you guys have to have your comm cord connected when you did EOR? The last base I was at we did it with hand signale but we carried a small comm cord (about 5 ft long) so we could talk to the pilot if he had a problem.

stik

Pumpkin

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 18:07

Hey guys, thanks for the detailed description!

What could have set the Engine NOGO bit ball?

cheers, :D
Desmond

Racer497

Unread post26 Nov 2003, 19:27

Nope we don't hook back up to the plane at EOR, we keep a headset and a comm cord in the truck just incase.

Yes some of us have David Clark headsets. I do, but most of the guys don't. At our base headset, comm cord, bunny suit, are issued to us. So I got the luck of the draw

But after reading the lauch. there are some differances in the way we do it. we do Sec and EPU all at once. After we check A side and the 6 green lights, we ask clear to pull EPU and after we get the ok pull and walk out front and go for sec, watch the nosel close, then EPU, look at that, then under to pull gear, tank pins.

Also after I do the left side brakes, the b man pulls chocks and walks around front while I go do the right side. after I do the right side. I make sure my b man is out front, ask if I am clear off. when I get yes. Pull my cord out, pull my chocks, throw my stuff off to the side, and stand out front waiting to go.

Just little differences. I am sure every c/c from every base can tell you how they do it differently.
Next

Return to F-16 Procedures