Pakistan Air Force modernization

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
  • Author

Diving_Falcon

Unread post10 Apr 2005, 16:14

The Pakistan Air Force will be replacing its oldest Mirage III/Vs, F-7Ps, and A-5Cs over time with the induction of JF-17s, F-16s, F-7PGs (I think), and upgraded Mirage ROSE. Approx, the PAF has something like 350 fighters in service, take a little give a little. Pakistan isn't that high funds, so my guess is any F-16 deal will partially be funded by U.S/KSA/UAE, and the JF-17 deal, some loans from China. Remember the PAF also has to buy AWACS and modernize its Air Defence System!

The F-16s the PAF wants to go for, they are the Block-52 model, and currently roughly 24 are on the table, with possibly 46 more, totaling 70 aircraft. Thus far we don't know what weapons it will be equipped with, but my guess is, atleast AIM-120A/B. In addition, I think the PAF will increase the number of F-16A/Bs back to the original 40, and give them the Mid-Life-Update. That will make the total number of F-16s to 110. I think these aircraft will replace the PAF's oldest Mirage III/V and A-5Cs out of service.

The JF-17s are to form the PAF's backbone, and they'd likely replace the F-7Ps, FT-7Ps, and older Mirage III/Vs out of service. The PAF will probably go for approx 150 aircraft. Armed wit h BVR, supposedly HMS + PL-9C, they should be able to put up a heck of a fight against most enemy aircraft.

The F-7PG is very cheap, and the PAF currently has around 55 in service, I think the PAF will go for something like 20 more in the future. Currently, the F-7PG is supposedly the next best thing to the F-16A/B. Additional F-7PGs would help replace the F-7Ps.

Finally, the Mirage ROSE, an upgrade over the Mirage III/V, to my understanding, newer ex-Australian airframes have been upgraded to this standard. I think these aircraft will serve for a fairly long time to come, and be used for anti-ship and strike missions. My take is that the PAF will have roughly 65 Mirage ROSE aircraft in service.

So by 2015 (earliest), the PAF should have the following:
  • 70 F-16C/D Block-52
  • 40 F-16A/B MLU
  • 150 JF-17
  • 75 F-7PG
  • 65 Mirage ROSE
Note: For God's sake, please no politics in this thread!

KarimAbdoun

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Apr 2005, 17:31

F-7PGs (I think),

No need to think, your right.

guess is any F-16 deal will partially be funded by U.S/KSA/UAE, and the JF-17 deal, some loans from China. Remember the PAF also has to buy AWACS and modernize its Air Defence System!

The F-16s will be in PAF through some donations from US, but not a single Arab Country, Aas for the AWACS, let's see what India will do with its A-50s.
The Air Defense isn't a big trouble, Chinese "Russian" replicas will do the trick, or even True Russian missles. But which is cheaper?
The fighter is not what counts, it's the one who's flying it that matters!

Diving_Falcon

Unread post11 Apr 2005, 02:05

I once read that the Air Defence System (SAMs, Radars) will be funded by the Pakistan Air Force, Navy, and Army together, and it'll form a joint operation system, it'll cover Hi-Medium altitude, as well as Low-medium altitude. If that is the case, then it should be easier to fund a potent ADS, given that all three forces will be paying for it, and maintaining it together.

As for AEW&C, thus far, Erieye negotations are still going on. I doubt India's new additions will affect Pakistan's modernization plan, I do hope we have a stick plan, and have taken a lot of things into account. So if India suddenly inks the MRCA, Pak won't counter it with another order of whatever.

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post13 Apr 2005, 21:35

Your right. The intial ROSE III upgrades (Ex RAAF airframes) are in service with 25 Sqn 'Night Strike Eagles' at Kamra/Minhas AFB.

Finally, the Mirage ROSE, an upgrade over the Mirage III/V, to my understanding, newer ex-Australian airframes have been upgraded to this standard. I think these aircraft will serve for a fairly long time to come, and be used for anti-ship and strike missions. My take is that the PAF will have roughly 65 Mirage ROSE aircraft in service.

I also heard EX-USN E-2C Hawkeyes were also under evaluation. Anyone got news about those?
Attachments
ROSE III patches.jpg
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

ghostrider883

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post14 Apr 2005, 04:59

JF-17? isn't that powered by the MiG-29's engine(RD-33)?? I think Russia has denied China the permission to put those engines on export models? so what happens now?

Aas for the AWACS, let's see what India will do with its A-50s.

India does not have any A-50s. By 2007-08, the IAF will recieve Three Israeli Phalcon mounted IL-76s as its AWACS aircraft.

Diving_Falcon

Unread post06 May 2005, 03:43

JF-17? isn't that powered by the MiG-29's engine(RD-33)?? I think Russia has denied China the permission to put those engines on export models? so what happens now?

I hear that Russia's denial of engines still isn't official, and thus far, is just a media reporting with "official sources", no names. We'll have to wait and see about that. Thing is, China (before the news reports) had signed a deal to buy hundreds (like 500) RD-93 engines from Russia, would PLAAF be buying all those engines for themselves (if those engines were denied for export?), or perhaps Pakistan? In any case, one must not forget that the JF-17 factory in Kamra was inaugurated a few days before the news reports about the engine being denied, surely officials would know of such a thing, before inaugurating a factory, wouldn't you say?

Henrik

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Jan 2006, 19:59

Hello all,

Regarding the PAF Mirages the ROSE III up-graded machines are ex- French Mirage 5 planes. The ex-Aussi Mirages are ROSE I up-graded and serve with the Combat Commanders School at Mushaf AFS and the 7 "Bandits" Squadron at Masroor AFS.

Henrik

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Jan 2006, 19:59

Hello all,

Regarding the PAF Mirages the ROSE III up-graded machines are ex- French Mirage 5 planes. The ex-Aussi Mirages are ROSE I up-graded and serve with the Combat Commanders School at Mushaf AFS and the 7 "Bandits" Squadron at Masroor AFS.

Return to Air Power