F-35 and Airshows

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post08 Sep 2018, 19:16

Salute!

John was a structural dude from way back. Probably was in for the fly off. We share several of the pilots from those days all the way to the “XL”.

Gums...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Sep 2018, 01:35

gta4 wrote:Your were in the test and evaluation team?

Do you ever READ this forum? :wink:

Just lurking around will teach you a lot about these gentleman and the amazing accomplishments they helped to create.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Sep 2018, 04:43

johnwill wrote:Yes.

Thanks

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Sep 2018, 04:59

Salute!

Be nice, bots

Our profiles don't have the interviews or other bio stuff. And I wish the janitors would interview John Will.

Mine is easy to find and a simple Google search using "gums f-16" will pop it right up.

Gums sends...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

botsing

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Sep 2018, 05:25

Gums wrote:Salute!

Be nice, bots

Sure will Gums, my remark was meant in a positive way. ;)
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

gta4

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Sep 2018, 15:27

I have seen Russian jets making similar sharp turns (i.e. The "hook" maneuver of the old Su-35 with canards, not the new Su-35s or Su-35BM). I still remember the "wow"s from the crowd back in 1993 as Su-35 performed the hook. However, there are 2 major differences between Russian's maneuver and F-35's:

1) No matter how much angle Su-35 turns, it will be bounced back to original pointing immediately, neutralizing the total angle of pointing. It turns around 90 deg then gets back to original heading. However F-35 can make a reversal and keep the heading.

I think Su-35 lacks the ability to change the speed vector and the nose pointing vector at the same time, while F-35 can.

2) Su-35 drops altitude immediately and needs to dive for long time to transit to the next maneuver, whereas F-35 can pitch up and go vertical.

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post09 Sep 2018, 15:41

gta4 wrote:.. Su-35 drops altitude immediately .. F-35 can pitch up and go vertical.

In fairness, as discovered by F-22 exercises, anytime an aircraft goes post stall maneuver, the airframe pivots around the CG instead of the center of lift. This always is accompanied by a tell tell "tail droop," and opens a window for counter response. (F-15's catching 22's) This is why the F-22's are now more judicious in their use of TV.
However, you do well note that even so, the F-22 and F-35 can accelerate vertically out of the post stall instead of falling from the sky.

FWIW,
BP

saberrider

Unread post16 Sep 2018, 16:09

Gums wrote:Salute!

What Steve said ( mostly).

First, the leading edge flaps ( LEF) were not slats like the F-100 and F-4 had. They were like folding a percentage of the wing's leading edge down, and you can see that implementation on the Hornet, Sluf and many commercial airliners.

The LEF deflection was variable and had a significant mach input variable besides the AoA. I' m fairly sure we also had a bit of flaperon deflection included in the equation once at higher AoA.

Gums sends...

also had a bit of flaperon deflection included in the equation once at higher AoA. This is first time when I read about flaperons deployed at high AoA with out pilot inputs on Alt Flaps? How much deployment angle and max .speed are allowed to drop?
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum