Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 Apr 2019, 14:49

Oh, and just to complement what I previously said, I attach here a .pdf showing a map of the current RCAF bases (including Forward Operating Locations or FOL).
Below there's an image showing part of the document which I add in attachment:

There's also another FOL located up North which sometimes also operates F/A-18s which is Iqaluit.
Attachments
rcaf-map-compressed.pdf
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

hythelday

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 Apr 2019, 17:14

Rovaniemi sits even further north, and, unlike Lulea is actually behind the Arctic Circle. Somehow they operate Hornets there. Elmendorf-Richardson is a little more to the south, at 61 degrees North and I don't know what are the exact effects of the Pacific on the climate there, but judging by the monthly average temperatures it isn't significantly milder. As a matter of fact, both Lulea and Anchorage have what is called a "subarctic climate", apparently.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post16 Apr 2019, 17:16

Thanks for the map (much earlier in this thread there is another version but the PDF here is excellent). However I do not like the small clutter in the original PDF above so it has been removed as seen in the low colour gif & edited PDF below.

Click the graphic twice to ZOOM in to make it readable.
Attachments
rcaf-map-compressedCROPed Text MAP ONLY prn.pdf
(417.41 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
rcaf-map-compressedCROPed Text MAP ONLY tif 22.gif
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

zerion

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post16 Apr 2019, 18:44

hythelday wrote: Elmendorf-Richardson is a little more to the south, at 61 degrees North and I don't know what are the exact effects of the Pacific on the climate there, but judging by the monthly average temperatures it isn't significantly milder. As a matter of fact, both Lulea and Anchorage have what is called a "subarctic climate", apparently.

The Pacific affects Anchorage less than Seward but more than Fairbanks. It’s not really a coastal climate city in terms of being warmer and wetter than the surrounding areas, and was generally cooler than the city I was living in further to the North.

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 01:07

spazsinbad wrote:Thanks for the map (much earlier in this thread there is another version but the PDF here is excellent).

You're welcome.

By the way, I used smallpdf (a website which allows conversions with pdf files) in order to reduce the size of the original file which has a size of around 15.2 MB and thus too large to attach here in the forum's posts. After using smallpdf or more precisely its webapp that allows the compression of pdf files whose direct link is the following:
https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf

I was impressed (actually quite astonished) to see that it managed to compress the original file to a new file whose size was only 2.5 MB and basically without losing any quality in terms of images and text compared to the original.

Nice site indeed (and is also free).

spazsinbad wrote:However I do not like the small clutter in the original PDF above so it has been removed as seen in the low colour gif & edited PDF below.

You did an excellent job with the image editing. I like it a lot and it has a much better readability than the original, namely when inserted as image here in the forum.
Thanks for sharing the image.
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 01:30

ricnunes wrote:
spazsinbad wrote:Thanks for the map (much earlier in this thread there is another version but the PDF here is excellent).
...size of the original file which has a size of around 15.2 MB and thus too large to attach here in the forum's posts. After using smallpdf or more precisely its webapp that allows the compression of pdf files whose direct link is the following: https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf

I was impressed (actually quite astonished) to see that it managed to compress the original file to a new file whose size was only 2.5 MB and basically without losing any quality in terms of images and text compared to the original. Nice site indeed (and is also free).
spazsinbad wrote:However I do not like the small clutter in the original PDF above so it has been removed as seen in the low colour gif & edited PDF below.

You did an excellent job with the image editing. I like it a lot and it has a much better readability than the original, namely when inserted as image here in the forum. Thanks for sharing the image.

I would in some respects consider myself an Adobe Acrobat Expert however I use only some of the DTP portions of it - the rest of the many and varied functions of the program I NEVER USE. A lot of 'amateur' PDF files have NEVER been RESAVED. Resaving gets rid of heaps of unneeded prior editing junk. Every day I work on a 4.4Gb PDF (link always at btm of my posts here) however extracting relevant pages always has an overhang of unwanted fonts I just cannot get rid of with the utility in Acrobat 2017 (about 9+Mb fonts). So the pages attached here have often been REPRINTED (PRN) to get rid of this unnecessary file size and to get the overall file size down to forum limit (there are effects from this reprinting though).

Would you be able to post the URL for the original large RCAF map mentioned please? The 'editing' of the original PDF with 'smallPDF'? may have made my editing of it more TEDIOUS than I could stand. :roll: I enjoyed the embedded editing puzzles to solve though. :mrgreen:
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

XanderCrews

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 03:27

Corsair1963 wrote:If, the F-15EX is so capable and cost effective. Then odd that Boeing isn't pitching it to Canada for it's future fighter??? :wink:

They wouldn't risk the narrative they've been laying down with the Super Hornet for years. Besides half of Canuckistan is convinced the Hornets are completely interchangable. :roll:
Choose Crews

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 06:05

hornetfinn wrote:
Not this crap again. Gripen is not really anything special when it comes to operating from dispersed bases or operating in the Arctic. Yes, it was designed with those things in mind, but so are pretty much all the other fighter jets. I have no doubt that Typhoon, Super Hornet, Rafale and F-35 can operate from dispersed bases or prepared roads in the Arctic about as well as Gripen. It's more about preparations and training than about fighter jet type.

And LOL at describing Sweden as ice-cold place with permafrost. 2 out of 3 Gripen bases are in Southern Sweden where the climate is actually much milder during winter than in most of Canada. Only Northern base in Luleå is about equal in weather to current Canadian CF-188 Hornet bases.

Agreed. This is one of the most ignorant thing I hear thrown out. These planes fly at 30,000+ feet where the ambient air temperature is around -50 degrees celsius. All modern planes can do it. Cold weather is nothing special and only those ignorant about aircraft like to throw it out.

kimjongnumbaun

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 06:07

XanderCrews wrote:They wouldn't risk the narrative they've been laying down with the Super Hornet for years. Besides half of Canuckistan is convinced the Hornets are completely interchangable. :roll:

Well, the other problem is the F-15EX is as much of a thing as the F-15 Silent Eagle. It doesn't actually exist and there has to be funding to even develop it.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 07:18

Is the Canadian Fighter Competition going to include a Fly Off with examples of each???

weasel1962

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 07:34

kimjongnumbaun wrote:Well, the other problem is the F-15EX is as much of a thing as the F-15 Silent Eagle. It doesn't actually exist and there has to be funding to even develop it.

The F-15EX is a baseline F-15QA but with USAF avionics, EW & radar. There's no major structural changes and every major component including engines to be installed is already in existence. The development cost which is ~$300m is because all the major components are in the F-15C and E airframe which are older than the F-15QA so they need to test to make sure everything still works when integrated in the new frame.

The F-15SE envisaged CWB weapons and slanted tails which no one wants to spend money to develop.

In Canada's case, Boeing would just offer an F-15QA equivalent, not an F-15EX which is solely for USAF.

P.s. they probably need to cater some cost to make sure they remove tools from the finished product. Esp relevant in the case of Boeing.

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 09:06

Honestly, I don't see the F-15EX surviving the current US Defense Budget Process. So, the matter is likely moot....

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 14:23

spazsinbad wrote:Would you be able to post the URL for the original large RCAF map mentioned please? The 'editing' of the original PDF with 'smallPDF'? may have made my editing of it more TEDIOUS than I could stand. :roll: I enjoyed the embedded editing puzzles to solve though. :mrgreen:

Sure, here you are:
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/rcaf-map.page

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 21:22

Just out of interest to perhaps 'ricnunes' the original PDF map at 4.5Mb [OOoops - my mistake - original file size is actually 15.2 Mb as 'ricnunes' points out below] was reprinted to 1.4Mb attached below. Some thin lines evident around graphics however the text is all good. Reprint to a portrait letter size page so is lengthwise across it.
Attachments
rcaf-mapPRN.pdf
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by spazsinbad on 18 Apr 2019, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

ricnunes

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Apr 2019, 23:48

spazsinbad wrote:Just out of interest to perhaps 'ricnunes' the original PDF map at 4.5Mb was reprinted to 1.4Mb attached below.

While the website does indeed say that the pdf file size is 4.5 Mb you can check that after downloading it that its size is actually 15.2 Mb (and not 4.5 as stated on the website).
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics