Best aerobatic plane today?

Non-military aviation
  • Author

ACSheva

Unread post17 Feb 2005, 05:00

Hey fellows

In youre opinion what is the best aerobatic plane today? Civilian that is.
Estra300,Yak,etc?

Thanks

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post17 Feb 2005, 18:07

Extra 300's my pick (Patty Wagstaff can't be wrong). Although Sukoi makes a pretty nimble little minx, or so I'm told.

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post18 Feb 2005, 04:22

Are we sticking to production aircraft? If we include one-offs, I'd have to go with Sean D. Tucker's aircraft, the "Challenger" :D ! I can't believe some of the stuff he does at airshows :drool: !
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

ACSheva

Unread post18 Feb 2005, 19:42

One time I actually had the pleasure of watching that RUSSIAN THUNDER guy. Man he was good. I believe that he was flying some new Sukhoi. That plane was pretty darn good.

allenperos

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 Apr 2005, 03:05

If you're on a budget, go with a pitts, S2-T, single seat, 260hp, CS prop, have fun landing it!!!! If you get killed, at least you won't take anyone with you. They're all decent, get some lessons in a super-decathelon first, though.
F-16B, CC 80-0623 ERAU ROTC
MD-11, 90, 80, Cognizant Aerospace Technical Writer - Powerplant RR, GE, and P&W

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post02 Apr 2005, 05:21

The Pitts is definitely a capable airplane, no doubt about that :D !

I think I might like a Cessna Aerobat for a really good reason - it looks just like a normal, average Cessna! It would be the perfect thing for taking unsuspecting friends up in for a joy ride :lol: !
www.parrotheadjeff.com

allenperos

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 Apr 2005, 05:54

It is Parrothead, excellent roll-rate, probably just as fast as a dual aileron pitts, I've flown it. It is an excellent intro airplane! I've taken cadets up in it, and as usual, they blew cookies....
MD-11, 90, 80, Cognizant Aerospace Technical Writer - Powerplant RR, GE, and P&W

allenperos

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 Apr 2005, 05:58

By the way Parrothead, did you happen to fly at MacDill, 72nd TFTS? "Pax per auxilla Paratta", - People for helping the Parrot???? 80's vintage????

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post02 Apr 2005, 06:27

It is Parrothead, excellent roll-rate, probably just as fast as a dual aileron pitts, I've flown it. It is an excellent intro airplane! I've taken cadets up in it, and as usual, they blew cookies...

Love it :lmao: ! I'll have to start looking around online for prices :wink: ...

By the way Parrothead, did you happen to fly at MacDill, 72nd TFTS? "Pax per auxilla Paratta", - People for helping the Parrot???? 80's vintage???

Sorry, but no, I'm not a pilot :cry: . My screen name is merely a reference to my fanatical devotion to Jimmy Buffett, his music, and the lifestyle in the songs :wink: . Actually, I'm only 28 :D ! Sorry if this is a bit of a let down.
www.parrotheadjeff.com

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post04 Apr 2005, 01:41

Extra 300 is an amazing aircraft to watch fly. I've had the distinct pleasure of watching Patty Wagstaff fly about 4 times (will be 5 this summer). She puts on one of the best routines that I've seen, military or civilian!

The Extra can pull so many G's, both negative and positive, that it could kill the pilot before it kills the plane. It's something like 7- and 23+ Gs? :shock: If those aren't the exact numbers then it's close.

Sean Tucker's Pitts Special is another awesome and incredibly maneuverable plane. Only thing that weirds me out about the Pitts was that it was the plane Art Scholl was killed in.

Of course, he put his plane in an inverted flat spin, so it was pretty much his fault, not really the fault of the aircraft.

BTW, always did love the 72nd's motto! Parrots need love too! :wink:

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!
"He counted on America to be passive...He counted wrong." -- President Ronald Reagan

HappyJack

Unread post11 Apr 2005, 04:43

Art Scholl was carrying a load of cameras for the film "Top Gun". The changed aerodynamics or weight and balance may have prevented the spin recovery. Pitts recover well from flat spins otherwise.

The top competitors in the world today generally fly either Sukhois - 26 or 31 - or Cap 232. The Russian Thunder is a Yak-54 - sort of an all-metal Sukhoi-29. A senior USAF officer was killed in one a few years ago, which hasn't really helped the sales - less than a dozen, sold, I believe.
Extra is less in use at Unlimited competition level, but still a fantastic machine though - limits are +/- 10g. Pitts gives the authentic biplane experience that many people want but are outclassed by the monoplanes at Unlimited level. They are also a "challenge" to land - which I suppose is half the fun...!

I've just bought a Pitts S-2C, if that says anything about my choice. Available for joyrides in Sydney, Australia, from June.

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post11 Apr 2005, 23:05

HappyJack wrote:A senior USAF officer was killed in one a few years ago, which hasn't really helped the sales - less than a dozen, sold, I believe.

Sounds kinda like the case of the BD-10J supersonic homebuilt. I knew the AF officer (he was retired) who was killed flight testing one out near Vegas. That was Col. "Smokin'" Joe Henderson. Helluva great pilot, but he departed while inverted and couldn't recover. Sad deal.

Jim Bedee still hasn't sold many of the kits and production was halted in the late '90s.

He has, however, restarted production on his other death trap, the BD-5. Wonder how many more pilots will go to the happy hunting grounds with that one?

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post12 Apr 2005, 04:28

TC, I know the BD-5 doesn't have the world's best record, but I still think it would be a really fun jet to fly :D ! Small, unusual, and just neat to look at :) . I've always one of those, but it's just a bit impractical, even for me. Aside from being a single place aircraft, I think the range on it is so short that I'd have to stop in Palm Springs for gas if I wanted to fly it to San Diego. Now, the turboprop version would be cool, too and has a much longer range, but it doesn't have the performance of the pure jet. What to do :shrug: ?

I think I'd have to go with something like an Extra if I wanted a pure acro ship :thumb: !
www.parrotheadjeff.com

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post12 Apr 2005, 04:45

I'd only go up in the BD-5 if one of the following 3 pilots was flying:

Bobby Bishop (fmr. leader of the Coors Light "Silver Bullets" flying team)

Corkey Fornoff (flew the profile for the opening sequence of "Octopussy")

Bill "Burner" Beardsley (fmr. Blue Angel turned civilian show pilot)

Those three men are the most prolific BD-5 pilots that I can think of. They've all flown the MicroJet for over 20 years without buying it, so they've gotta be doing something right.

I can think of less expensive ways to commit suicide rather than owning a Bedee jet. Pistol in the mouth always seems to do the trick. :wink:

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post12 Apr 2005, 05:17

I can think of less expensive ways to commit suicide rather than owning a Bedee jet. Pistol in the mouth always seems to do the trick. :wink:

TC, TC, TC... what are we ever going to do with you :lmao: ???

I think Bobby, Corkey, and Burner have shown that it's the pilot, not the jet :wink: . I think a team of them, say four to six would be a great attraction at airshows! It would sure get attention, could travel in a single semi truck, and would probably cost less than operating a single Starfighter :D ! Waddya say, TC, care to join up on the ground crew if the team ever gets off the ground :lol: ?
www.parrotheadjeff.com
Next

Return to Civil and General Aviation