RAF Typhoon FGR4s arrive to train with 1st FW F-22 Raptors

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

BDF

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 18:02

RAF Typhoon FGR4s arrive to train with 1st FW F-22 Raptors
By Dave Majumdar on January 25, 2013

A squadron of British Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4s has arrived at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, in preparation for their participation in Exercise Western Zephyr. Before the exercise begins, the Royal Air Force's XI Squadron will work on integrating with the 1st Fighter Wing's (FW) Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptors, based locally at Langley.

[...]

The USAF has in recent months been making a concerted effort to afford F-22 units more training and integration opportunities with allied forces. Training with the UK, arguably the United States' most important ally, is particularly important.

According to the USAF, there are about 200 British personnel from RAF Coningsby training with the 1st FW (27th Fighter Squadron in this case, the 94th FS is deployed to Kadena, Japan).

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-d ... to-tr.html
When it comes to fighting Raptors, "We die wholesale..."

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 20:27

Here is the official USAF release with photos of the Typhoons:

http://www.jble.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123333624

I can't help but wonder if there will be some public bragging if the RAF guys manage some F-22 "kills" during the build-up phase. Of course, I'm sure some details like the F-22 weren't full up, restricted, or were replicating something else won't be mentioned.

Then again, these are RAF and they're not known to publically discuss exercise results.
I'm watching...

BDF

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 21:26

That's my hope as well, there was too much chest thumping from the last encounter. I kinda hope we get very little info out of this. I'm more interested to see how the Blue force does in Flag than this work up.

aw2007

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 23:10

Scorpion1alpha wrote:Here is the official USAF release with photos of the Typhoons:

I can't help but wonder if there will be some public bragging if the RAF guys manage some F-22 "kills" during the build-up phase. Of course, I'm sure some details like the F-22 weren't full up, restricted, or were replicating something else won't be mentioned.

Then again, these are RAF and they're not known to publically discuss exercise results.

I wonder if the Raptor pilots are wearing their Combat Edge UPG now. I posted this link 2 weeks ago:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ry-380820/

aw2007

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 23:13

aw2007 wrote:
Scorpion1alpha wrote:Here is the official USAF release with photos of the Typhoons:

I wonder if the Raptor pilots are wearing their Combat Edge UPG now. I posted this link 2 weeks ago:

Sorry folks, bad link. Here's the link:

ruderamronbo

Unread post26 Jan 2013, 01:33

Are there any exchange pilots flying the F-22 (or B-2)? I remember there being at least one Brit F-117 driver...

BDF

Unread post26 Jan 2013, 01:46

Yes, I know the Brits have had exchange F-22 and B-2 pilots. Not sure how many are currently active.

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post26 Jan 2013, 02:20

BDF wrote:That's my hope as well, there was too much chest thumping from the last encounter. I kinda hope we get very little info out of this. I'm more interested to see how the Blue force does in Flag than this work up.

It was amusing to me that certain members of the Luftwaffe were all too eager to talk up their plane, yet conveniently leaving out certain details of the BFM fights.

IMO, the way those Luftwaffe guys that went on record for a print magazine and said what they said does not produce warm and fuzzy feelings.

I think we have a closer relationship with the RAF. With this current exercise, I think there will be more talk about how well the F-22s and Typhoons work together against red air.

aw2007 wrote:I wonder if the Raptor pilots are wearing their Combat Edge UPG now. I posted this link 2 weeks ago:

I don't know if the 27th have the retrofits yet. Regardless, as you might know, the USAF is not in the practice of max performing the F-22 in international exercises.
I'm watching...

snypa777

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post26 Jan 2013, 15:17

The RAF as you say don`t generally release information to the public about training missions. There will be no RAF Squadron leader sitting in a press conference bragging about "fragging an F-22", it just doesn't happen with the RAF.
Any and ALL press releases will be very carefully worded. We are allies and all both airforces want is some valuable and meaningful training opportunities.
The only controversy will be people hanging onto and misinterpreting every single word that is said, or isn't said during official press releases.

The FGR4 Typhoon is not a mature multi-role platform as yet and this is a good opportunity for the USAF and RAF to hone their coalition skills,
Good luck to all involved.

I would be more than happy just to see pictures of the Typhoons and F-22s in formation:))
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post26 Jan 2013, 17:35

snypa777 wrote:The RAF as you say don`t generally release information to the public about training missions. There will be no RAF Squadron leader sitting in a press conference bragging about "fragging an F-22", it just doesn't happen with the RAF.
Any and ALL press releases will be very carefully worded. We are allies and all both airforces want is some valuable and meaningful training opportunities.
The only controversy will be people hanging onto and misinterpreting every single word that is said, or isn't said during official press releases.

The FGR4 Typhoon is not a mature multi-role platform as yet and this is a good opportunity for the USAF and RAF to hone their coalition skills,
Good luck to all involved.

I would be more than happy just to see pictures of the Typhoons and F-22s in formation:))

Well said.

Like I said in my 2nd post, I think our relationship with the RAF is very close. Closer than with the Luftwaffe or the Armee de l'Air. I feel more comfortable exercising with the RAF. My accessment of RAF personnel when I exercised with them many years ago is that they are true professionals at work (but crazy off duty). I'm sure that hasn't changed. LOL.

I think the coverage of this exercise will be a combination of what we said: An emphasis of USAF & RAF personnel working together along with the F-22 and Typhoon to get the desired results. The USAF, as usual, will have nothing but praise for the RAF and their Typhoons and I expect similar statements from the RAF regarding the USAF and the F-22. And yes, the RAF is very good at carefully wording their statements in offical press releases.

I can say for sure the USAF will like to continue exercising with the Luftwaffe and the Armee de l'Air. However, like I said before, for some of their personnel to say what they said regarding the last two exercises with them (and some blame is to be directed at some journalists) doesn't help with the relationship.
I'm watching...

sirsink167sig

Unread post24 Mar 2013, 19:41

Very small piece of insight from the British - 'The Raptors were enjoying it because they actually had a proper fight.' No other details... IMO sounds like things went well for the F22.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/flyi ... g-18032013

sirsink167sig

Unread post24 Mar 2013, 20:20

I needed to add that the Typhoon showed off why it's the best 4th gen fighter today! Which leaves me second guessing if it would have been wiser to purchase several Typhoons (Tranche 3A) instead of upgrading the F-15C for assisting the F22 in the air superiority mission?

lookieloo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Mar 2013, 02:47

sirsink167sig wrote:I needed to add that the Typhoon showed off why it's the best 4th gen fighter today! Which leaves me second guessing if it would have been wiser to purchase several Typhoons (Tranche 3A) instead of upgrading the F-15C for assisting the F22 in the air superiority mission?
For that kinda money, it would have made more sense to restart F-22 production and finish replacing the F-15Cs properly.

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post25 Mar 2013, 08:05

Can't wait for UK Typhoons and F-35Bs to mix it up in DACT.

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum