International backing for F-35 hasn’t been stronger

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post18 Oct 2012, 17:28

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... al-377810/

International backing for F-35 hasn’t been stronger, says Lockheed official By: Craig Hoyle London

Lockheed Martin is on track to deliver a total of 30 F-35 Joint Strike Fighters to three nations during 2012..

..This represents a more than doubling of the rate on the company's Fort Worth final assembly line in Texas from 13 in 2011, with a further increase to around 35 expected during 2013.

Flight test activities are continuing to run ahead of schedule this year, with total F-35 flights over plan by 20% and test points by 15%. These figures increase to 40% and 20% respectively for the short take-off and vertical landing F-35B, deliveries of which will begin to US Marine Corps squadrons late this year.

.., and separation trials involving Raytheon's AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile will be performed before year-end.

Recent test activities with a new tailhook design for the US Navy's carrier variant F-35C have, meanwhile, involved 76 ground and five "fly-in" arrestments at NAS Lakehurst in New Jersey, Lockheed says.

BK-2, the UK's second of three F-35B initial operational test and evaluation aircraft, is expected to be flown to Eglin AFB in Florida later this month, ..Lockheed is also processing the paperwork to deliver the Netherlands' first system development and demonstration-phase F-35A. The nations will each receive one additional aircraft during 2013.

With Australia, Israel, Japan, Italy, Norway and Turkey already having ordered long-lead production items for their initial F-35s, O'Bryan says: "I have nine countries under contract, of the 11. ...Canada and Denmark are expected to commit funds this decade.

Lockheed is, meanwhile, waiting on the outcome of South Korea's F-X III fighter competition ... and to hear from security cooperation participant Singapore about its purchase plans.

Referring to the threatened sequestration action ...: "With only months remaining until it takes effect, we have no guidance from the US government on how it will be implemented. We don't know which programmes, sites, technologies or suppliers will be impacted."

little more at the jump!

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post18 Oct 2012, 21:47

I still wish Canada would cancel its order and start work on an updated Arrow. That's a show I'd pay good money to see, and we wouldn't have to listen to their crying over 60 planes anymore.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post18 Oct 2012, 22:09

1st503rdsgt wrote:I still wish Canada would cancel its order and start work on an updated Arrow. That's a show I'd pay good money to see, and we wouldn't have to listen to their crying over 60 planes anymore.

It'd be absolutely hilarious to see. A guaranteed failure and huge waste of money but good for lulz if nothing else. :lol:
"There I was. . ."

hb_pencil

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Oct 2012, 00:04

1st503rdsgt wrote:I still wish Canada would cancel its order and start work on an updated Arrow. That's a show I'd pay good money to see, and we wouldn't have to listen to their crying over 60 planes anymore.

I'd kinda wish you'd stop trolling about this, but we can't get everything we want.

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post19 Oct 2012, 00:37

hb_pencil wrote:

I'd kinda wish you'd stop trolling about this, but we can't get everything we want.

Jeez :roll: , what crawled up your butt? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZuc9Dg7rjo :D The vibes coming out of Canada are just too much too much fun to ignore.

hb_pencil

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Oct 2012, 16:29

1st503rdsgt wrote:
hb_pencil wrote:

Jeez :roll: , what crawled up your butt? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZuc9Dg7rjo :D The vibes coming out of Canada are just too much too much fun to ignore.

Yeah, it was funny maybe the first time. Its getting tiring because you seem to think that the joke remains funny when you retell it for over a year.

Frankly, the only reason why you even notice it is because we're right beside you and we speak english. I've seen just as dumb ideas and reports come out of Dutch, Australia, Japanese, UK presses, yet all you do is harp on us. Why don't you complain about the Aussies and tell them to find another fighter? I'd argue they are the source for the most damaging and misleading criticism because of Carlo Kopp.

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post19 Oct 2012, 21:40

hb_pencil wrote:Frankly, the only reason why you even notice it is because we're right beside you and we speak english. I've seen just as dumb ideas and reports come out of Dutch, Australia, Japanese, UK presses, yet all you do is harp on us. Why don't you complain about the Aussies and tell them to find another fighter? I'd argue they are the source for the most damaging and misleading criticism because of Carlo Kopp.

True, but the Oz sale is more important because of the numbers of aircraft ordered and its proximity to China. The Dutch and Japanese are indeed unknown to me; but when it comes to the UK, I'm not really seeing how they have much of a choice now... besides selling 2 brand-new carriers (that would also be a hoot to watch).

murray_b

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Oct 2012, 22:09

1st503rdsgt wrote:I still wish Canada would cancel its order and start work on an updated Arrow.

Canada cannot cancel an order that has not yet happened and a vast majority, 81%, want to build an updated version the imaginary Mach 3.5 Arrow.

When will the USN and USMC admit that the Nelson (NIMR) FS-1 is a far better aircraft than the F-35 for their needs?

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post20 Oct 2012, 22:51

murray_b wrote:When will the USN and USMC admit that the Nelson (NIMR) FS-1 is a far better aircraft than the F-35 for their needs?

Had to look that up; seems to have been before my time. It's not really a good comparison since there's a perceptual difference between obscure entertainment-fiction and decades worth of a national myth that Canada was somehow cheated out of its aeronautical-engineering birthright.

murray_b

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post21 Oct 2012, 01:13

1st503rdsgt wrote:... obscure entertainment-fiction and decades worth of a national myth that Canada was somehow cheated out of its aeronautical-engineering birthright.

It was not obscure and the Seaview SSRN was better than any submarine the USN had in the water at the time. Seaview was so advanced that it even had a bay window in the bow which is probably real important for some reason that I can't think of right now.

If you were to do a poll I expect a proposal to build a modern version of the Flying Sub would do nearly as well as the proposal to remake the imaginary Mach 3.5 Arrow. It is kind of sad that so many voters know so little about aircraft.

Dont forget it was actually, "...decades worth of a [government funded] national myth that Canada was somehow cheated [by President Eisenower and his evil American lackeys] out of its aeronautical-engineering birthright."

I am so sorry that some Canadians have falsely accused Eisenhower and the rest of the United States of wrongdoing when the U.S. was actually being a good friend and ally to Canada.

Reliable non-fiction records show the U.S. was doing everything possible to make the Arrow program succeed. The USAF even loaned Avro Canada a B-47 for engine trials and Avro broke the aircraft beyond repair. Avro probably didn't even pay for it. The more I learn about what really happened the more embarrassing it gets.

What can I say other than I'm sorry that so many Canadians have lied about so many things for so long. There is no excuse for this.

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post21 Oct 2012, 05:04

murray_b wrote:
1st503rdsgt wrote:... obscure entertainment-fiction and decades worth of a national myth that Canada was somehow cheated out of its aeronautical-engineering birthright.

It was not obscure and the Seaview SSRN was better than any submarine the USN had in the water at the time.

It's pretty obscure; and more to the point, there are no retired flag officers calling for flying submarines to be built on national television down here. This brand of idiocy is Canada's alone (unless a substantial number of Americans start agitating for a return of the YF-12 or XF-108 programs).

archeman

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 Oct 2012, 06:46

If only we had a flying submarine that was also stealthy.
Anybody want to guess the sustained turning radius for a flying submarine in A2A combat???
I bet those crafty Russians haven't come up with a missile that can follow our future war fighting aircraft below the waves eh?
Try and beat that evasive maneuver - ha.

How's that for idiocy 1stSgt?
Daddy why do we have to hide? Because we use VI son, and they use windows.

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post21 Oct 2012, 07:04

archeman wrote:If only we had a flying submarine that was also stealthy.
Anybody want to guess the sustained turning radius for a flying submarine in A2A combat???
I bet those crafty Russians haven't come up with a missile that can follow our future war fighting aircraft below the waves eh?

No 1SGs here. In any case, would you be satisfied with this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbOoBtqA-I
No $hit... LM's actually working on it. Image

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post21 Oct 2012, 07:07

Looks like you've gotten promoted dude! I mean, Top!

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post21 Oct 2012, 07:11

1st503rdsgt wrote:
archeman wrote:If only we had a flying submarine that was also stealthy.

No 1SGs here. In any case, would you be satisfied with this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbOoBtqA-I
No $hit... LM's actually working on it. Image

Stealth pelican?
Next

Return to General F-35 Forum