IASF F-16D rebuild

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

maurits

Unread post25 Mar 2012, 14:58

Hello all,

From the official IAF-website, former F-16D 041 that crashed in 2005 have been rebuild.
http://www.iaf.org.il/6468-38625-he/IAF.aspx

Regards,

Maurits

exfltsafety

Unread post25 Mar 2012, 17:39

I remember when that happened. Great lesson on how things can go from good to bad in just a few seconds. Timely ejection decision. Glad to see the jet coming back into service. Thanks for posting the article.

Bjorn

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post25 Mar 2012, 18:33

If anyone has a picture of the repaired jet, please let us know.

Greets,
Bjorn Claes
F-16.net Editor
Photo Library Admin
Aircraft Database Admin

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post25 Mar 2012, 21:08

Can I get a link to an English version of this article?

exfltsafety

Unread post26 Mar 2012, 15:22

Here's what the Google translation provided: "6 years after the crash: the lightning fly back
Tags: Aircraft Maintenance Unit (Ia"a) , Lightning (F-16)
Barack plane crashed at the base level - David in 2005 passed a comprehensive overhaul Aircraft Maintenance Unit and returned to flying
Michael and Dana Tal Russo
Routine practice at the end of the summer of 2005, approached the plane Lightning (F-16D) Squadron No. 041 of the "valley" to land at the base level - David. Seconds after touching the ground, right wheel broke off and the crew lost control of the plane. Later, while lightning racing on the track, the pilot and navigator managed to leave in peace. Now, more than six years after the plane flipped over and breaking apart, he has to get back into the air. the years "spent" the few remaining pieces of the plane Aircraft Maintenance Unit (Ia"a) base Tel - landscape. "When he came, did not believe that we can fix it . The front end was completely smashed, broken tail, wings buckled and ruined the engine was full of mud, "says Sergeant Major Eldad, the rehabilitation project manager. But Sbia"a not given up. "We built aircraft almost from scratch," recalls Lt. Col. Haim, Aircraft Engineering Division Commander unit. "We used the books of maintenance and every tool at our disposal. The elements brought warehouses and old planes, and those we had to renovate. Than once we had to improvise and invent solutions that even the manufacturer had not thought about." Despite some delays in the assembly process, and despite moments of despair non - few have experienced, agree The only people that repair process was particularly important. "I've never built a plane ourselves. This important lesson for future generations, and experience is important to us to work done in the future," concludes Colonel Gonen, head of aircraft Bia"a. Barak is currently in flight testing center 041 of the Force - the air, there is already successfully passed the first test flight. In the coming months he will be examined in depth, and only after the plane officially declared completely normal - good to come back at his home squadron, in the valley."

Lightndattic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 Mar 2012, 16:04

I love how the translation for eject, an extremely violent event, is 'leave in peace'.

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Mar 2012, 22:49

Lightndattic wrote:I love how the translation for eject, an extremely violent event, is 'leave in peace'.

I believe it's more peaceful than the alternative, which is 'leave in pieces' :lol: :lol:

discofishing

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post28 Mar 2012, 01:58

It has always fascinated me how an aircraft can get so balled up, but fixed and mad airworthy. It's even more amazing how a 30 year old Viper can be made on par (after MLU+) with the latest models coming off the assembly line.

baemari

Unread post28 Mar 2012, 22:33

Video on the restore effort: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrlOkGflqk

Return to General F-16 forum