Speed and maneuverability vs LO

Discuss air warfare, doctrine, air forces, historic campaigns, etc.
  • Author

shingen

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Feb 2012, 19:31

Thought I'd post this from someone who seems to have been there and done that.

http://elementsofpower.blogspot.com/201 ... -wins.html

What I drew from it is that if time is seen as the important factor than a slower platform with better LO is a superior solution than a faster platform with a higher signature.

I doubt Silent Eagle will beat F-35 in any competition.

This also makes you wonder why SK has the M1.5 with stores requirement for a new aircraft.

Edit: A study of the same issues here: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11743

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post21 Feb 2012, 04:10

shingen wrote:I doubt Silent Eagle will beat F-35 in any competition.

Well, that depends. While the F-35 certainly meets USAF needs better than any F-15 variant, I can still see the older plane having a few advantages on the international market for a few years yet. Issues like unavailability, unpredictable costs, and unfamiliarity will hinder the F-35 into the 2020s, so it's not hard to see customers with money to throw around going with a known quantity (though I doubt the SE will get anywhere).

As for super-maneuverable Sukhois, it is to our advantage if the Russians and their clients continue to cling to that approach. It's unfortunate that the Chinese haven't proven so foolish.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.

shingen

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post21 Feb 2012, 04:38

The most interesting part is stealth vs speed. It has implications for the new bomber. I'd be real interested to see what they do. My guess is subsonic.

tacf-x

Unread post21 Feb 2012, 19:49

Some speculate that supersonic is the way to go with regards to being able to escape enemy CAPs but if the mission planning is good enough and with enough signature control that should never be a problem anyway.

Return to Air Power