"Fly-by shooting" in New Jersey

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Nov 2004, 23:06

I saw this and I couldn't believe my eyes :shock: ! I'm glad nobody was hurt and I hope we figure out just what in the &^%$ happened!

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_news_article1241.html

An F-16 Viper on a nighttime training mission accidentally fired 25 rounds of ammunition last night that tore through an elementary school. No one was injured.

Police were called to Little Egg Harbor Intermediate Schoo when a custodian heard what sounded like someone running across the roof of the school, shortly after 11 p.m. The custodian was the only person in the school at the time.

Police officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into class rooms and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside the building.

It is still unclear why the shots were fired.

The 2-inch long projectiles are made of steel. The projectile is hollow and does not contain a filler and does not explode.

I'm sure glad I wasn't the pilot or the janitor and I'll be watching closely to see what happens from here.

As Warren Zevon wrote, "Send lawyers, guns, and money - the #$%& has hit the fan!"
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

177SFSF16

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 02:10

Hello All
First of all, the article is incorrect. Yes a F-16 did fire some rounds into a school on a night time training mission. But the F-16 was NOT from the the New Jersey ANG!!! The Warren Grove Range is run by the NJ ANG, the F-16 belonged to the District of Columbia ANG (DC ANG). Just wanted to make it clear that the NJ ANG F-16 was not involved. At least no one was hurt in this wierd accident.

J.

177SFSF16

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 02:20

Heres an article from the local news.

November 4, 2004 - A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission Wednesday fired 25 rounds of ammunition that tore through an elementary school. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School shortly after 11 p.m.

Police were called to the area when a custodian heard what sounded like someone running across the roof of the school. The custodian was the only person in the school at the time.

Police Chief Mark Siino on Thursday said police officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside the building.

The 2-inch long bullets are made of lead and do not explode, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard.

It was unclear why the shots were fired, Webster said.

New Jersey public schools were closed Thursday because of a teachers convention. The Ocean County school is scheduled to reopen Monday.

The pilot of the single-seat jet was supposed to fire at a target on the ground three and half miles away from school on the Warren Grove firing range, Webster said.

The military firing range covers parts of Little Egg Harbor, Bass River and Woodland townships in the southern part of the state.

"We don't know what happened that caused the gun to fire," Webster said.

The plane was 7,000 feet in the air when the shots were fired. The gun, an <a href="f-16_armament_article5.html">M61-A1 Vulcan cannon</a>, is located in the plane's left wing.

"The National Guard takes this situation very seriously," said Lt. Col. Roberta Niedt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "The safety of our people and the surrounding communities are our foremost concern."

The jet that fired the rounds was assigned to the 113th Wing located at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. The fighter jet returned there after firing the shots, Webster said.

Webster would not identify the pilot or detail possible disciplinary measures.

Mike Dupuis, president of the township's Board of Education, said there were no precautions the school district could have taken to prevent such an incident.

School workers are mindful that the range is nearby, he said.

"Being so close to the range, that's always in the back of our minds. It is very scary. I have children in that school and relatives that work there," he said.

The school houses students from grades three to six.

The range has been used by the military since the end of World War II, long before the once-rural area was developed.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

chickenlegs

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 03:01

Does desk job have a ring to it?
F-4E, T-38, A-7D, F-16C Crew Chief, QA, & Other

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 04:05

177SFSF-16, thanks for the corrections and the info! I just hope no innocents are injured in the investigation, either.

chickenlegs, what do you think about the possiblity of a Big Chicken Dinner (bad conduct discharge) or worse? I'm half expecting time in Levenworth!
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

mohody

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 04:20

Nope, not going to happen------Levenworth is closed now from what I last heard.
Avionics--Venom of the Viper

Ace02

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 05:25

Hey folks .. just saw this on the evening news here in the DC area. Thank goodness no one was hurt. Not sure exactly where there is a range near the 177th? but it'll be interesting how this one sorts out.

I did note on the local channel here (NBC) the 113th was actually described as "the DC ARMY Guard unit"... go figure. Probably because the spokesman they had on camera was an Army Guard guy.

This should take some explaining...

lamoey

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 06:44

I don't think it is a mystery to anyone on this site how it happened, the question is more why, and how to prevent it happening again.

What is the pressure needed to pull that trigger by accident? From flying Falcon 4.0 I do find that I occationally fire the gun by accident during hard manuvering, so I am not surprised that it can happen in real life as well. But then the real thing has a functional master arm switch, doesn't it?
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 07:32

No there is no master arm switch.

Lieven

F-16.net Webmaster

F-16.net Webmaster

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 08:38

177SFSF-16 wrote:First of all, the article is incorrect. Yes a F-16 did fire some rounds into a school on a night time training mission. But the F-16 was NOT from the the New Jersey ANG!!! The Warren Grove Range is run by the NJ ANG, the F-16 belonged to the District of Columbia ANG (DC ANG).

Thank you for the correction. I have updated the <a href="f-16_news_article1241.html">article</a> accordingly and I also removed the misinformation from the initial post here.

flanker_hater

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 09:05

IDCREWDawg, I don't know what jet you fly but indeed there is a "Master Arm" switch located in the F-16.

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 09:09

for the trigger?

Jerombo

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 10:12

Also for the trigger... of course!!!

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 12:57

Thats interesting.... I have worked the F-16 for 15 years, and never once do I remember there being a master arm switch on the trigger. Now there is a master arm switch in the cockpit. I don't know the function of it, nor am I going to speculate.

elp

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Nov 2004, 15:10

Wow. Someone called in a grid on a school. Must have been a good reason. :D

OMG the North Korean News service is going to have a field day with this one. OK, everyone, for fun, take turns writing your best NK press release on this event. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by elp on 05 Nov 2004, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
- ELP -
Next

Return to F-16 News