Is the Korean FA-50 a 4.5th generation?

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

hcobb

Banned

Unread post07 Jan 2012, 04:25

http://defense-update.com/20120106_sout ... -deal.html
The FA-50 aircraft ordered are expected to be equipped with the Link 16 tactical link, Elta Systems EL/M-2032 pulse Doppler radar, radar warning systems and a night vision imagery system. Northrop Grumman and Raytheon previously selected the FA-50 as a prime candidate for being outfitted with the same version of active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar slated for use in a United States Air Force F-16 upgrade.

Of course it would first have to have 4th gen maneuverability to qualify...

geogen

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Jan 2012, 05:53

I don't know about that, but their special Air-show variant T-50 can sure as heck fly with grace, agility and control like few other conventional aircraft I've ever seen fly. Just add extra power, fuel and avionics to that I guess. Seems like a winner... good for them.
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

Lightndattic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Jan 2012, 16:25

It certainly meets the requirements of a gen 4 aircraft. Depending on how integrated the avionics are and if any signature reduction measures are used would determine the additional half generation.

BTW... the T/A-50 would be ideal for the CONUS defense role. Small, cheap radar, gun and 2 -9X's is all you would need to chase down a hijacked airliner or wayward Cessna. I don't know why smaller states such as Switzerland or even the Baltic republics don't go for something like this.

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Jan 2012, 21:12

Lightndattic wrote:It certainly meets the requirements of a gen 4 aircraft. Depending on how integrated the avionics are and if any signature reduction measures are used would determine the additional half generation.

BTW... the T/A-50 would be ideal for the CONUS defense role. Small, cheap radar, gun and 2 -9X's is all you would need to chase down a hijacked airliner or wayward Cessna. I don't know why smaller states such as Switzerland or even the Baltic republics don't go for something like this.

Copy all. Maybe we could use these as a gap-filler to prevent the idiocy of giving ANG units UAVs. They ARE the primary NORAD alert units, and a flying snowmobile isn't exactly useful for interception. I'd be all for a lease of 60 or so. It could also help the Baltic republics perform their own air defense instead of relying on NATO.

destroid

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post10 Jan 2012, 06:56

I guess it would compete pretty directly with the Gripen, very similar weight and virtually the same powerplant. The T-50 looks a fair bit cheaper, going by wikipedia.

geogen

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Jan 2012, 09:49

southernphantom wrote:
Lightndattic wrote:BTW... the T/A-50 would be ideal for the CONUS defense role. Small, cheap radar, gun and 2 -9X's is all you would need to chase down a hijacked airliner or wayward Cessna. I don't know why smaller states such as Switzerland or even the Baltic republics don't go for something like this.

Copy all. Maybe we could use these as a gap-filler to prevent the idiocy of giving ANG units UAVs. They ARE the primary NORAD alert units, and a flying snowmobile isn't exactly useful for interception. I'd be all for a lease of 60 or so. It could also help the Baltic republics perform their own air defense instead of relying on NATO.

FWIW, there's a blogger who actually posts here as well as posts under his blog elpdefensenews who has in fact postulated on that very hypothetical T/F-50 ANG option way back in I believe 2009. Interesting proposal anyway.
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.

Lightndattic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Jan 2012, 21:30

geogen wrote:
southernphantom wrote:
Lightndattic wrote:BTW... the T/A-50 would be ideal for the CONUS defense role. Small, cheap radar, gun and 2 -9X's is all you would need to chase down a hijacked airliner or wayward Cessna. I don't know why smaller states such as Switzerland or even the Baltic republics don't go for something like this.

FWIW, there's a blogger who actually posts here as well as posts under his blog elpdefensenews who has in fact postulated on that very hypothetical T/F-50 ANG option way back in I believe 2009. Interesting proposal anyway.

Yeah, that's one of the few things Eric and I agree on.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 Jan 2012, 00:11

Me too... ;)
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Return to Modern Military Aircraft