Kamov Ka-50

Helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

tonini

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 11:53

Unread post16 Nov 2011, 22:07

http://www.kamov.net/kamov-army/kamov-ka-50/

History of the Kamov Ka-50 (named Black-shark or Werewolf) combat helicopter is almost 20 years old. Its development was initiated after the preliminary project was prepared by the Kamov designing office, in December 1977. The new combat aircraft was intended to become a counterweight to the USA attack machine “AH-64 Apache“ which was included in the US Army arsenal in 1976. Mr. Sergei Mikheyev, chief designer of the Kamovs designing office, took that office of the beginning of the 70s, after the Nikolai I. Kamov died, with whom he used to have a close co-operation since as early as the 60s. Typical for the predecessors of this helicopter were primarly two symmetrical coaxial rotors. In addition to the older Ka-10s, Ka-15s, and Ka-18s, as well as to Kamov Ka-26s, it was the Ka-27, Ka-29 and Ka-32 types which have been widely used especialy by marine air force. Based on the experience acquired from their operation, a project of a new helicopter designed for ground forces was originated.

A high degree of the Kamov Ka-50 survivability is ensured by:

- the pilot’s cockpit fitted with steel plates that can withstand lateral hit of 20 mm projectiles in addition to armored glass 55 mm thick

- protection of fuel tanks, controls, drive system, auxiliary power unit (APU). hydraulic and other systems

- the rotor blades made from super-strong plastic allowing to continue flight despite several direct hits

- the coaxial main rotor configuration without tail rotor and its control systems and gear box radically inreasing the helicopter survivability because when they are hit, a crash is inevetable

- composite materials, that amount thirty-five per cent of the helicopter’s toad-carrying structure, make it possible to avoid secondary destraction effect (splinters) proper to a metal surface

- landing gear and fuselage absorb ground impact overloads.

- If one engine (of two) is destroyed, the Ka-50 can fly with only one.
Offline

1st503rdsgt

Banned

  • Posts: 1547
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 01:23

Unread post16 Nov 2011, 22:59

Our friend Wikipedia says they've only built around 26... for some reason.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.
Offline

tonini

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 11:53

Unread post16 Nov 2011, 23:07

1st503rdsgt wrote:Our friend Wikipedia says they've only built around 26... for some reason.


Only 16 Ka-50 Werewolfs(Limited production) and about 140 (total, with ordered and in production) Ka-52 Alligators. Wikipedia dont refresh data. :D

Ka-50 Werewolf
http://www.kamov.net/kamov-army/kamov-ka-50/

Ka-52 Alligator
http://www.kamov.net/kamov-army/kamov-ka-52/
Offline

pbever

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 21 Oct 2011, 22:24
  • Location: Dallas, Tx

Unread post19 Nov 2011, 05:26

tonini wrote:
1st503rdsgt wrote:Our friend Wikipedia says they've only built around 26... for some reason.


Only 16 Ka-50 Werewolfs(Limited production) and about 140 (total, with ordered and in production) Ka-52 Alligators. Wikipedia dont refresh data. :D

Ka-50 Werewolf
http://www.kamov.net/kamov-army/kamov-ka-50/

Ka-52 Alligator
http://www.kamov.net/kamov-army/kamov-ka-52/


Never knew the KA-50 could fire R-73's.
Offline

Lawman

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 356
  • Joined: 20 Nov 2003, 21:35

Unread post27 Nov 2011, 23:28

Single Seat Attack Helicopter = Fail.


You cannot under any circumstance short of a ferry flight cross country, do what we do in an attack helicopter with one person. Guy in the front has too much going on to fly, guy in the back is too busy trying not to fly into wires looking through a 40 degree field of view to be heads down hunting for targets in a Sensor.

Whoever sold the Russians on this as a viable idea obviously never talked to anybody that ever flew them first.
Drew
Offline

tonini

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 29 Oct 2011, 11:53

Unread post02 Jan 2012, 13:57

Lawman wrote:Single Seat Attack Helicopter = Fail.


You cannot under any circumstance short of a ferry flight cross country, do what we do in an attack helicopter with one person. Guy in the front has too much going on to fly, guy in the back is too busy trying not to fly into wires looking through a 40 degree field of view to be heads down hunting for targets in a Sensor.

Whoever sold the Russians on this as a viable idea obviously never talked to anybody that ever flew them first.


Correct. That is reason of Ka-50 production STOP. Ka-52 is two-seater developed from Ka-50.
Offline

juandigital

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 00:08
  • Location: Michigan

Unread post06 Jan 2012, 00:39

Russian aircraft, especially their helicopters have always intrigued me. The co-axial rotor head looks complicating and would probably be a pain for maintenance. I believe the pilot seats are eject-able. The blades have exploding pins. I wonder how many lives would have been saved, if any, if all helicopters had that feature. It seems to me that a jettison-able pilot really is not needed in a helicopter.
Find <a href="http://www.myaandplicense.com/aviation-mechanic-schools/">aviation mechanic schools</a> here

Return to Rotary Wing Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest